I want a telecaster

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
liv_rong

I want a telecaster

Post by liv_rong »

That is all.

Thinking about going to CME to look around in a couple months. Thinking a budget of $800ish maybe a little more. Don't want anything fancy, just a Telecaster. I always wanted a double bound one, but now I dont care. Just looking for that sound that my LP just does not do. That is where I am at now.

Wish me luck.
CrowsofFritz

Re: I want a telecaster

Post by CrowsofFritz »

The color is the most important factor in determining tone so think carefully!

In all seriousness, good luck!
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'd scour eBay or Reverb for the cheapest Mexican you can find and then get it really nicely setup.

Seriously, my tele cost me less than 200 quid on eBay - took it too a guy I trust to set it up and now it's a genuinely really nice guitar.
rayc

Post by rayc »

My Tele is a clone that cost 10% of your budget. It looks n sounds like a Tele. It sits in a bag most of the time.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:12 am My Tele is a clone that cost 10% of your budget. It looks n sounds like a Tele. It sits in a bag most of the time.
Is that the one Bob raved about?
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:53 am
rayc wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:12 am My Tele is a clone that cost 10% of your budget. It looks n sounds like a Tele. It sits in a bag most of the time.
do you mean me Bob or a real Bob?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

My tele is a kit i built myself over 4 years. While it has it's quirks I'd never go shopping for another one. I does need some desparate fret work again though. yikes. Got a bad case of the buzzy bumblebee frets.

@liv_rong I recently fingerbanged a G&L telecaster and it wasn't bad. I think if i were to go shopping for another tele, I'd consider one of those.

Stoked to see what you come up with. I think for your stuff a tele will sounds really cool given all your picky stuff you do. I have also thought a Baritone would also slide nicely into your jams too.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:20 pm

@liv_rong I recently fingerbanged a G&L telecaster and it wasn't bad. I think if i were to go shopping for another tele, I'd consider one of those.

While it's no secret that I don't like Teles, I have always preferred the G&Ls over the actual Fenders. I don't know why. Every G&L Tele I've ever played has been really nice.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:28 pm

While it's no secret that I don't like Teles, I have always preferred the G&Ls over the actual Fenders. I don't know why. Every G&L Tele I've ever played has been really nice.
not even that pricy

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... 5b8252dc71
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:28 pm

It was a pleasant surprise. I really liked the bridge on it and while the neck sort of had a plastic feel to it it played really really well. Smooth tight, it just felt a little different to the touch on my palm. Probably just a better finishing job than my own tele :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2:

"Oh so this IS what it is supposed to feel like? Gotcha"
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

yeah .... when I built my tele I wanted to get close to the traditional 'tele sound' so I chose to use a 3-saddle brass piece bridge because I figured that was part of the sound.
But as a practicl matter 6 saddles are way mo' better
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:47 pm yeah .... when I built my tele I wanted to get close to the traditional 'tele sound' so I chose to use a 3-saddle brass piece bridge because I figured that was part of the sound.
100% this. I couldn't agree more.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I really like G&L guitars. You hardly ever see them in the UK. But every one I've played on has been nice.
rayc

Post by rayc »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:53 am
Nah, this was over a decade ago and it's about as cheap as an $80 guitar can be.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:47 pm yeah .... when I built my tele I wanted to get close to the traditional 'tele sound' so I chose to use a 3-saddle brass piece bridge because I figured that was part of the sound.
I think that this is really good advice. When I bought my Telecaster, I went with a "premium" USA Deluxe Tele. The fit and finish is perfect on it, it really feels and plays like a top-shelf instrument. But...it's a 6-saddle nickel/chrome/whatever bridge, and the thing just doesn't SOUND like a Tele. it's missing that classic "twang" that makes a Tele a Tele. I've always considered putting a 3-saddle brass ashtray bridge on it just to see if that's the missing x-factor. It's either that or the pickups.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:55 pm
I think that this is really good advice. When I bought my Telecaster, I went with a "premium" USA Deluxe Tele. The fit and finish is perfect on it, it really feels and plays like a top-shelf instrument. But...it's a 6-saddle nickel/chrome/whatever bridge, and the thing just doesn't SOUND like a Tele. it's missing that classic "twang" that makes a Tele a Tele. I've always considered putting a 3-saddle brass ashtray bridge on it just to see if that's the missing x-factor. It's either that or the pickups.
Part of me wants to say it could very well be the pick ups. But there is some truth likely in the brass part of the equation. My bridge is the 3 saddle thing but also the nickel chrome whatever. It sounds tele-ish. I did want to get some brass saddles in there as well over the upcoming holidays just to see what it does but i have bigger issues with the buzzy frets currently. I will likely attack that time permitting
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

If I was putting money on it I'd bet the pickups have way more to do with "tele tone" than what the bridge saddles are made of.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I dunno ..... I just have cheap GF p'ups in it and it has tele-twang out the wazoo.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I have a 3 year old US Elite model tele with the 6 bridge saddles, belly cut, N4 pickups, double binding, S1 switch, ebony fretboard, neck join cut, etc.

It sounds like what it sounds like and is all over the HH album. Whether it sounds like a true "tele" or not, I neither know nor care. I bought it because it sounded "plain" and single coil, rather than "strat" and single coil which I've moved away from. Tele on one side, Les Paul on the other seemed to work OK.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

It will be a Fender. And a Telecaster. It will be single coil. Not so worried about much else except feel and of course looks.