Trying to love the unlovable

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
Armistice

Re: Trying to love the unlovable

Post by Armistice »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:28 pm
Greg_L wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:21 am
That's true, and they're always good for surf stuff.
they are but you really need big waves to get up
:lollers:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:28 pm
they are but you really need big waves to get up
:drums:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Well I've started the gold basecoat. No pics of that yet, been too wet to handle.

But I did get the pickguard tweaked and modded and set up.

One knob and the 5-way switch. That's all it's getting.

But the one knob has a trick...it's a push-pull. When pushed in it's a normal volume control that will work with the normal 5-way switch for the usual five Strat pickup positions. When pulled out it will engage the neck pickup regardless of where the 5-way switch is set. This will provide two pickup combos that are missing from a typical Strat: Neck + Bridge, and all three on at once.

No tone controls. Don't use them, have never used them, won't use them. I'm going straight from volume control to output jack. I might add a little kill switch in the very bottom hole which is currently plugged. Haven't decided on that yet.
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:28 pm Well I've started the gold basecoat. No pics of that yet, been too wet to handle.

But I did get the pickguard tweaked and modded and set up.

One knob and the 5-way switch. That's all it's getting.

But the one knob has a trick...it's a push-pull. When pushed in it's a normal volume control that will work with the normal 5-way switch for the usual five Strat pickup positions. When pulled out it will engage the neck pickup regardless of where the 5-way switch is set. This will provide two pickup combos that are missing from a typical Strat: Neck + Bridge, and all three on at once.

No tone controls. Don't use them, have never used them, won't use them. I'm going straight from volume control to output jack. I might add a little kill switch in the very bottom hole which is currently plugged. Haven't decided on that yet.
Yeah I’ve never ever used tone controls either on my strat. Always sounds shitty when using them any way other than the normal setting.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
rayc

Post by rayc »

Every now & then I adjust the tone knob...just for a couple of seconds and then it's straight back to full treble. Odd.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:17 am Every now & then I adjust the tone knob...just for a couple of seconds and then it's straight back to full treble. Odd.
Using it as a slow wah effect is cool, though. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who’s actually kept it at different settings, though.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Removing the pointless knobs that make your guitar sound shitter is a good idea. I had a think about this earlier. I'm pretty sure I've never recorded or played live with the tone knob on anything other than 10.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:08 am Removing the pointless knobs that make your guitar sound shitter is a good idea. I had a think about this earlier. I'm pretty sure I've never recorded or played live with the tone knob on anything other than 10.
Exactly. And in the future if I decide I need a tone control it will be simple to put one master tone control in place.

But that's not likely.

And Strat tone controls are fucking stupid anyway. The neck and middle pickups have tone controls, but the bridge - the one pickup that might actually need it - does not.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:17 am Every now & then I adjust the tone knob...just for a couple of seconds and then it's straight back to full treble. Odd.
Lol. The only time I touch my tone controls are a quick check to make sure they're still all the way wide open.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:48 am
And Strat tone controls are fucking stupid anyway. The neck and middle pickups have tone controls, but the bridge - the one pickup that might actually need it - does not.
That's why on my stra5t I have the tone control on the bridge and middle 'p'up .... also have the bridge at a 'reverse' angle so the p'up is closer to the bridge on the bass side instead of the usual.

Also on my strat I use a 3 mini-toggle system with no 5-way>
A 3 position mini toggle for each p'up ..... you can have any combination of p'ups and any phase too
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Well we'll see how it goes. The current stock Mexican pickups aren't staying in there for long. I've got a set of CBS era 60s pickups headed my way from a friend of mine.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Oh, also...I had to paint those pickup covers. Those are the original white pickup covers, but they had faded and morphed into a yellow-ish cream color. Normally I like that aged white look but not with the new stark white pearlized pickguard.

And I'd ordered a few cheapo knockoff pickup cover sets off the amazon but none of them fit! The pole spacing was way too wide. I either have weird pickups or the Chinese counterfeiters don't know how to measure hole spacing. So I just said fuck it and painted mine.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

BEAUTY!!!

Where did you get those little plugs for the empty knob positons? rather what did you look for when searching for something to do that.

I have a a hole on my P Bass from where i moved the jack from front facing to the side of the body that would be cool fill.

Pretty excited to see how this turns out.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:05 pm BEAUTY!!!

Where did you get those little plugs for the empty knob positons? rather what did you look for when searching for something to do that.

I have a a hole on my P Bass from where i moved the jack from front facing to the side of the body that would be cool fill.

Pretty excited to see how this turns out.
Amazon. I think I searched "3/8" plastic hole plugs". Or something like that.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=3%2F8+plasti ... nb_sb_noss
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

And here's the gold basecoat. It was hanging in the garage and it's humid down here today...like pretty much every day. It's a little smudgy with my fingerprints. It needs to be cleaned again and tack-clothed, but it's pretty smooth and even. Certainly good enough to get glittered next.

Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

It looks cool man!!!! Deadly. I figure once the glitter get's on there any sign of smudges will only ever be noticed by you.

How did you spray it though? Did you not put a "false neck" on it to hold it? How the hell did you hold it to get the edges?
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:46 pm It looks cool man!!!! Deadly. I figure once the glitter get's on there any sign of smudges will only ever be noticed by you.

How did you spray it though? Did you not put a "false neck" on it to hold it? How the hell did you hold it to get the edges?
he had a screw or hook screwed into the hole for the strap button on the butt end
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:46 pm It looks cool man!!!! Deadly. I figure once the glitter get's on there any sign of smudges will only ever be noticed by you.

I went really high-tech....I laid it flat on top of a big plastic cup. I painted it out back on my outdoor patio table. I covered the table, put a cup on the middle of it, and set the body on the cup. That got it up off the table and I sprayed the edges first. Then I'd spray the top or bottom, whichever side was facing up. Then once that dried enough to handle I'd flip it over and do it again. :happytrees:

My first coat of primer was done with it hanging from a tree. I didn't like that. I got runs that I had to sand out. Painting it laying flat is a much better option for me with these basecoats.

For the glitter coat I think I will have to hit it all at once for level and even glitter distribution so I'll need to come up with something that will allow me to get all around it for each coat. I don't think doing each side separately will work well for the glitter. But maybe it will.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:02 pm

I went really high-tech....I laid it flat on top of a big plastic cup. I painted it out back on my outdoor patio table. I covered the table, put a cup on the middle of it, and set the body on the cup. That got it up off the table and I sprayed the edges first. Then I'd spray the top or bottom, whichever side was facing up. Then once that dried enough to handle I'd flip it over and do it again. :happytrees:

My first coat of primer was done with it hanging from a tree. I didn't like that. I got runs that I had to sand out. Painting it laying flat is a much better option for me with these basecoats.

For the glitter coat I think I will have to hit it all at once for level and even glitter distribution so I'll need to come up with something that will allow me to get all around it for each coat. I don't think doing each side separately will work well for the glitter. But maybe it will.

Get you a stick!

If you fashioned yourself a set up something like this you could still use your outdoor table in a similar way your cup method and don't have ot worry about it drying before flipping. Only difference being you will hang it off the edge of the table and make good and sure you have the counter weight on the table side perfect so there is no chance of it tipping. I'll do up a quick sketch becasue i don't have a photo how i set up my workmate bench for the actual spraying.

Hold up.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:09 pm

Get you a stick!

If you fashioned yourself a set up something like this you could still use your outdoor table in a similar way your cup method and don't have ot worry about it drying before flipping. Only difference being you will hang it off the edge of the table and make good and sure you have the counter weight on the table side perfect so there is no chance of it tipping. I'll do up a quick sketch becasue i don't have a photo how i set up my workmate bench for the actual spraying.

Hold up.
That's what I was planning to do for the glitter coat. Same thing.
Rebel Yell