Trying to love the unlovable

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Trying to love the unlovable

Post by WhiskeyJack »

@Greg_L

See attached.

I did it this way and worked great. I was able to flip and keep going without having to wait and stop to let it dry. The only part i didn't like was crouching down to get the sides evenly but at the end of the day the job got done. πŸ‘πŸ»
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

OH!!!!

And if you try to do it that way, i can't stress this enough, predrill your holes in the stick and keep them plenty far away from the edges. I made my first sickout of a piece of shitty old wood and and had a near miss with the cement floor becasue the portion of it inside the neck pocket split. Use a decent piece of wood and predrillfuck.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I'm not just saying this, but I've never seen an illustration that explains a technique any better than that one.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:27 pm I'm not just saying this, but I've never seen an illustration that explains a technique any better than that one.

πŸ˜ƒ
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:34 pm
Greg_L wrote: ↑Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:27 pm I'm not just saying this, but I've never seen an illustration that explains a technique any better than that one.

πŸ˜ƒ
I'd have to use Frankie as the counterweight though. Nessie is too light.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Thats a really nice job on the gold. Almost looks bronze.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:15 pm Thats a really nice job on the gold. Almost looks bronze.
It does look a little bronze in the pics but it's brighter in person. It's like a "gold leaf" kind of look. I'm not sure how much is gonna show through under the glitter but it was recommended to put a similar basecoat down first so that's what I'm doing. I just resprayed the back. I'll do the front tomorrow. I'll let it set till later in the week and then go with the glitter.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

And I'm also gonna copper shield the cavities before I do the glitter...I think.

I either need to shield it now and mask it off before the glitter, or glitter bomb and clearcoat the whole thing and then shield it last.

Maybe I should shield it last. That way the shielding can lap over the cavity edges as necessary to make contact with the underside of the pickguard. I just don't want glitterdust floating around inside the cavities. I'll need to really set the glitter with the clearcoat before I shield it if I go this route.

Or I could just shield it and tape it off pre-glitter. Fuck I don't know.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:17 pm @Greg_L

See attached.

I did it this way and worked great. I was able to flip and keep going without having to wait and stop to let it dry. The only part i didn't like was crouching down to get the sides evenly but at the end of the day the job got done. πŸ‘πŸ»
Needs a bowl of doggie kibble to keep the hound in the right position.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: ↑Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:35 pm
Needs a bowl of doggie kibble to keep the hound in the right position.
They don't move much, cuz you know....missing legs and all that. :biggrin:
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Looking great so far @Greg_L !

And that's a world-class infographic @WhiskeyJack :D
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

Here's the gawd-awful job I did rattle canning my Striker (by Kramer) bass about 16 years ago. Not much prep or care taken, frustrated trying to get through the existing thick-ass finish like you had so just roughed it up, no primer, three or four coats of finish color. 16 years of aging! Looks like shit but also rarely leaves the house. Still plays well and sounds good. I just sit in a dark corner when playing this and rarely an audience. Makes ME happy.

Yours will be excellent with the care you are taking Greg!

IMG_0168[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Haha that's not that bad. I've seen some amazing paint jobs done with simple rattle cans and clearcoat. I'm taking as much care as my minimal skillset is capable of so hopefully mine turns out at least just okay.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:46 pm Haha that's not that bad. I've seen some amazing paint jobs done with simple rattle cans and clearcoat. I'm taking as much care as my minimal skillset is capable of so hopefully mine turns out at least just okay.
I am really curious to see how your clear coat goes.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:48 pm

I am really curious to see how your clear coat goes.
This is what I have...

I've been told this is the shit to use for setting and covering textured finishes like glitter. My plan is to glitter bomb the fucking guitar and then "set it" with like a glue coat of clear. Once that hardens then I'll bury it with a few coats of clear, sand that flat, then hit it with another 3 coats of clear. If it all goes to plan I'll have a proper deep flake looking finish. :confused:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:53 pm I've been told this is the shit to use for setting and covering textured finishes like glitter. My plan is to glitter bomb the fucking guitar and then "set it" with like a glue coat of clear. Once that hardens then I'll bury it with a few coats of clear, sand that flat, then hit it with another 3 coats of clear. If it all goes to plan I'll have a proper deep flake looking finish. :confused:
Cool.Cool.Cool. I like the idea of it being triple thick. I wonder how beefy that willl make it look? Good luck man.

How is the glitter going to work are you spreading that by hand like a farmer peasant or do you have some sort of device to spread it evenly somehow?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:26 pm

Cool.Cool.Cool. I like the idea of it being triple thick. I wonder how beefy that willl make it look? Good luck man.

How is the glitter going to work are you spreading that by hand like a farmer peasant or do you have some sort of device to spread it evenly somehow?
I do have a device....

:coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:29 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:26 pm

I do have a device....

:coolstorybro:
OSHIT!!! It's gold and everything!!!! Piece of piss man! Good job.

lol @ golden glow though. that is a cheap nasty cider that used to be the "in drink" of all the crust punks in our little music scene back in the 90's. It was a caveat that the lame punk police at the time adhered to. If you didn't drink golden glow you were a poser no one would come see your band. So lame.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:44 pm

OSHIT!!! It's gold and everything!!!! Piece of piss man! Good job.

lol @ golden glow though. that is a cheap nasty cider that used to be the "in drink" of all the crust punks in our little music scene back in the 90's. It was a caveat that the lame punk police at the time adhered to. If you didn't drink golden glow you were a poser no one would come see your band. So lame.
Hahah that's PBR and Lone Star for us down here. Although no one's playing punk police about it. We drink it cuz it's cheap. :cheers1:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Ok final gold basecoat went on yesterday. I'm gonna let this shit set for a few days and then comes the glitter clusterfuckery.

Rebel Yell