Trying to love the unlovable

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
Greg_L

Re: Trying to love the unlovable

Post by Greg_L »

Thanks yall. I'm still far from home but it's getting there. I sanded a tiny little area that would be hidden by the pickguard and it's smoothing out nicely so I'm hopeful that it will turn out okay.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Looks great, man! That'll be the sparkliest guitar in town!
rayc

Post by rayc »

The Haysi Fantayzee of guitars.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:28 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:20 pm That's a lot of glitter!
that's the proper amount ..... well even more would be proper but I suppose that'll do.

:biggrin:

:like:
Could he have saved time by just buying one large glitter flake and carving it into a guitar shape.

Maybe coat it with a ton of epoxy to hold the form. #Woodworking.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:19 am

Could he have saved time by just buying one large glitter flake and carving it into a guitar shape.

:lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2:

I'm not a painter by any means, and certainly have never metal flaked anything like this.

I'm surprised by how much clear it takes to bury this stuff. Or it's entirely possible that I just don't know what the fuck I'm doing and a pro would have finished this thing weeks ago.

This spray can flake is more like standard glitter and not really like the big nice metal flake you'd see on nice car/motorcycle custom paint jobs. This will totally suffice for my needs and it looks pretty good, but I'd prefer a bigger flake through a proper paint gun if I could do it all over again.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:19 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:28 pm
that's the proper amount ..... well even more would be proper but I suppose that'll do.

:biggrin:

:like:

Get out. Just get out. :mad:
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:25 am I'm surprised by how much clear it takes to bury this stuff.
It is entirely possible your climate could have something to do with how that glaze went on? Maybe? Like it could have thinned it out a little bit? Did you have many issues with runs in the clear coat at all?

It was also marketed as extra thick too which kind of made me raise an eyebrow. When i see stuff like that it just screams "we've modified something to make it more convenient and faster" and history shows sometimes those modifications don't work as desired. But you are always so well researched before you kick anything off i didn't really feel I would add those 2 cents. But the "glaze" and the "extra thick" had me thinking it wouldn't work as well as say a generic run of the mill automotive clear coat rattle can application. Mix that with your steamy hot muggy climate it could have thinned it out a bit from it's desired working consistency.

Now, all that said, i did use a generic run of the mill automotive clear coat enamel on my guitar and all the test scraps and it took upwards of 18 light coats or more to get it the bare minimum of what i would have called acceptable for a deep clear.

regardless, It's going to turn out better than your own expectations and you'll have the satisfaction of saying you turned a POS Strat into not at all a POS Surf Factory Strat!!!!! I can't wait to see hear it!!!

How is the neck coming along? I can't recall but are you putting some muttpups or putting new pick ups in this bitch or what ?

Also i am really curious to see how the wet sand goes around all the screw holes and other entry points into the body. Be sure to document that after everything is dry!!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:10 pm

It is entirely possible your climate could have something to do with how that glaze went on? Maybe? Like it could have thinned it out a little bit? Did you have many issues with runs in the clear coat at all?
No runs. I'm getting nice flat pretty even coats. This stuff tacks up pretty quick. I am definitely fighting the climate. I'm not painting on bad days though. That's why it's taking so long. I'm only painting on days that jive with the specs on the can - a certain degree range and low humidity. So to the best of my ability I'm minimizing climate problems. I'm following all of the temp and humidity and re-coat and drying time directions. Once the paint flashes off I bring it in to dry inside the house which is a pretty steady temp and humidity.
It was also marketed as extra thick too which kind of made me raise an eyebrow. When i see stuff like that it just screams "we've modified something to make it more convenient and faster" and history shows sometimes those modifications don't work as desired. But you are always so well researched before you kick anything off i didn't really feel I would add those 2 cents. But the "glaze" and the "extra thick" had me thinking it wouldn't work as well as say a generic run of the mill automotive clear coat rattle can application. Mix that with your steamy hot muggy climate it could have thinned it out a bit from it's desired working consistency.
The extra thick glaze clearcoat was recommended to be used with the glitter bomb spray. I don't know anything about clearcoats, but it seemed logical to me. Need to bury a bunch of bumpy flaky glitter? Extra thick seems like a good way to do it.

Now, all that said, i did use a generic run of the mill automotive clear coat enamel on my guitar and all the test scraps and it took upwards of 18 light coats or more to get it the bare minimum of what i would have called acceptable for a deep clear.
I haven't counted them, but I'd guess that I'm at about 6-8 full coats of clear at this point. And it still needs a little more around the edges and in the cutouts. I could level sand the top and back right now. The sides need a touch more. I can run my hand across the guitar and not have glitter flake off anymore so it's finally mostly buried.
regardless, It's going to turn out better than your own expectations and you'll have the satisfaction of saying you turned a POS Strat into not at all a POS Surf Factory Strat!!!!! I can't wait to see hear it!!!

How is the neck coming along? I can't recall but are you putting some muttpups or putting new pick ups in this bitch or what ?

Also i am really curious to see how the wet sand goes around all the screw holes and other entry points into the body. Be sure to document that after everything is dry!!
The neck is okay. My buddy did a fret leveling but I need to add a better crown and polish. I'm just using the stock pickups right now but I'll probably get something else in the future. This guitar is not really something I want to use often. I was okay with it's sound before so the pickups aren't that big of a deal to me. I just want it to at least look a lot better.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:28 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:10 pm

No runs. I'm getting nice flat pretty even coats. This stuff tacks up pretty quick. I am definitely fighting the climate. I'm not painting on bad days though. That's why it's taking so long. I'm only painting on days that jive with the specs on the can - a certain degree range and low humidity. So to the best of my ability I'm minimizing climate problems. I'm following all of the temp and humidity and re-coat and drying time directions. Once the paint flashes off I bring it in to dry inside the house which is a pretty steady temp and humidity.
The extra thick glaze clearcoat was recommended to be used with the glitter bomb spray. I don't know anything about clearcoats, but it seemed logical to me. Need to bury a bunch of bumpy flaky glitter? Extra thick seems like a good way to do it.

I haven't counted them, but I'd guess that I'm at about 6-8 full coats of clear at this point. And it still needs a little more around the edges and in the cutouts. I could level sand the top and back right now. The sides need a touch more. I can run my hand across the guitar and not have glitter flake off anymore so it's finally mostly buried.

The neck is okay. My buddy did a fret leveling but I need to add a better crown and polish. I'm just using the stock pickups right now but I'll probably get something else in the future. This guitar is not really something I want to use often. I was okay with it's sound before so the pickups aren't that big of a deal to me. I just want it to at least look a lot better.
Awesome man. You are doing a bang up job regardless. If you aren't getting many runs I would say things are likely working as they should. Without having a climate controlled work area you really are at the mercy of mother nature and that can really slow down the process.

Steady on old boy!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:45 pm
Awesome man. You are doing a bang up job regardless. If you aren't getting many runs I would say things are likely working as they should. Without having a climate controlled work area you really are at the mercy of mother nature and that can really slow down the process.

Steady on old boy!
Yeah just now I went outside. It's a gorgeous 60-something degree sunny day. Perfect for painting. But it's pretty windy, so maybe not. Last thing I want is dust and dirt blowing into the wet clearcoat. I might do a little blast in the garage because the temp and humidity is so good right now.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I've been a fan of metal flake since I was a fan of full moons, fat rear tyres and chrome exhausts...since my early 70s thing about rods.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:33 pm I've been a fan of metal flake since I was a fan of full moons, fat rear tyres and chrome exhausts...since my early 70s thing about rods.
Same. I love metal flake. Hot rods, speedboats, motorcycles, etc. It's not a finish I'd want on everything, but I think it's pretty fucking cool most of the time.

Candy too. I love candy paint. The term gets misused a lot, but a true candy finish is gorgeous.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I saw a strat on the local FB page the other day purporting to be "candy apple green"... nice colour in and of itself, but looked weird on a guitar. Think it was supposed to be some Clapton model or other, factory finish. I like most colours on guitars, but green's probably one of my least favourites.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Red and black are my least favorite guitar colors. And it just so happens two of my Mosrites are red and black. You can't be too picky when it comes to Mosrites so I have to let it slide. But in general I avoid red or black guitars.

I'm also not a big fan of seeing wood grain or brown hues. I don't particularly care for tobacco bursts or any tans and browns. I like colors.
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Armistice wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:43 pm I saw a strat on the local FB page the other day purporting to be "candy apple green"... nice colour in and of itself, but looked weird on a guitar. Think it was supposed to be some Clapton model or other, factory finish. I like most colours on guitars, but green's probably one of my least favourites.
I like seasfoam green on a guitar, which is funny because I’m not a fan of that color otherwise. But it gives it a cool vibe on a strat.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:03 pm
Armistice wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:43 pm I saw a strat on the local FB page the other day purporting to be "candy apple green"... nice colour in and of itself, but looked weird on a guitar. Think it was supposed to be some Clapton model or other, factory finish. I like most colours on guitars, but green's probably one of my least favourites.
I like seasfoam green on a guitar, which is funny because I’m not a fan of that color otherwise. But it gives it a cool vibe on a strat.
Ah yeah, I quite like that too - pastelly shades I don't mind, but a strong green I just think looks bad.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Green is obviously the best guitar color
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:24 am Green is obviously the best guitar color
I love his bullshit. I could sit and watch it al day.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:03 pm
I have been on the hunt for a lefty seafoam green mandocaster for a long time. They look so cool. I've played the sunburst one and they play and sound like a dream i just do not like bursts generally speaking.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

It's really hard to get a good pic or vid of how sparkly this thing is getting, but here's a try anyway.

The glitter shit is now buried. There's a noticeable thick enough layer of clear across the whole thing. It's still bumpy and orange-peely, but I can now start the level sanding process. I think I can get it smooth now without burning through the clearcoat. It looks pretty cool in person. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell