Trying to love the unlovable

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
JD01

Re: Trying to love the unlovable

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:15 pm So I'm shirtless today, because this is Texas and it's 70 something degrees, and I'm walking around the house shirtless like usual and my wife starts laughing at me. Apparently I'm covered in a fine dust of glitter and sparkling like a sweaty stripper. Sexy. Time for a shower.
Pics?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:28 am

Pics?
Too late. The moment has passed and it's chilly so I've got a shirt on. But on the other hand, it is sleeveless cuz this is still Texas.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Well I'd love to finish this stupid thing but Texas weather has other plans. It's been unusually hot and humid for December. We're never really cold, but this is much warmer and muggier than usual for this time of year. Since I'm painting outside this heat and humidity is a no-go...especially for clearcoating.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Speaking of sparkle finishes - this just popped up in my FB feed via the High End Guitars group... :eep:

214104461_10161271797398696_628174135521084442_n.jpg
Described as a 1997 custom shop 56. 1 of only 2 made with this finish, apparently. Yours for only $5250 AUD.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I'm not a Bigsby-on-Les Paul fan, but I love that finish.

Mine will not look that good.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I'm definitely not a fan of gold hardware and gold on gold is even more so. I do have super thing 'goldesque" plate on the hardware of my Sheraton II...but it was the only one of the model in Sydney so I had to take it or wait for another boat...gold on nickel isn't a great combo of metals either when it comes to durability and corrosion.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I was just talking about this tonight with a friend of mine who was working on a black LP Custom. Naturally almost all LP Customs have gold hardware. He didn't like it. I don't really like gold hardware either, but I make an exception for Customs because that's just how they are. White Falcons too. I just like those guitars and they have gold hardware so I accept it. But anything else and I'm a hard no on gold hardware.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I've got it on my acoustics because that's the way they're made. Don't like it at all on electrics. Also with you on Bigsbys on LPs.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I don't like gold hardware at all. On anything
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

One entire can of clear on...glitter still isn't totally buried. Lol. It's not bad though. A few more coats should do it for the first wet sand.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:15 am I don't like gold hardware at all. On anything
I like it on some things BUT it quickly starts looking like shit ..... because it's fake gold.
Like gold trim on motorcycles ..... just doesn't wear well.

But I had a bass player friend that took his hardware to a jeweler and had it actually gold-plated .... looked great and kept looking great
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:06 pm One entire can of clear on...glitter still isn't totally buried. Lol. It's not bad though. A few more coats should do it for the first wet sand.
Pile it on man.

Good luck with the wet sand. I'll be interested to see how you make out with it. I did my very best to plug up the screw holes and other areas where water could get inside and i still had some divits around them (holes / openings) when all was done and everything dried out. My body was basswood also which is hella soft. But yea good luck.

Also pile the clear on there. even when you think you are done just keep adding a few layers. I went completely crazy with my clear coat and while everyone told me it was crazy and unnecessary it ended up saving the entire build. I was able to sand out that horrible alligator skin crackling effect and still have enough clear left on there to give it a hint of depth.

Can't wait to see this!! :like: :like: :happytrees: :happytrees:
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:26 pm
Pile it on man.

Good luck with the wet sand. I'll be interested to see how you make out with it. I did my very best to plug up the screw holes and other areas where water could get inside and i still had some divits around them (holes / openings) when all was done and everything dried out. My body was basswood also which is hella soft. But yea good luck.

Also pile the clear on there. even when you think you are done just keep adding a few layers. I went completely crazy with my clear coat and while everyone told me it was crazy and unnecessary it ended up saving the entire build. I was able to sand out that horrible alligator skin crackling effect and still have enough clear left on there to give it a hint of depth.

Yeah my problem is weather. It's either too hot and humid or too cold and windy. Finding a just right day to paint outside has been more shitty than usual. Today was good so I piled some on. The rest of the week should be good too. I need to give it a day or so between sessions. But I'm just now starting to see a thick gloss layer starting.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:12 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:26 pm
Pile it on man.

Yeah my problem is weather. It's either too hot and humid or too cold and windy. Finding a just right day to paint outside has been more shitty than usual. Today was good so I piled some on. The rest of the week should be good too. I need to give it a day or so between sessions. But I'm just now starting to see a thick gloss layer starting.
Amen to all of that.

Godspeed.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

This is a full can of clearcoat. The glitter is set and buried. I can almost level sand it now. Still needs a little more clear in the cutouts.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

That's a lot of glitter!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:20 pm That's a lot of glitter!
It's a real bitch burying all that glitter flake.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That looks really good, mate. You've gotta be pleased with that.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:16 pm

This is a full can of clearcoat. The glitter is set and buried. I can almost level sand it now. Still needs a little more clear in the cutouts.
Slick buddy! Looks awesome!!!!!!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:20 pm That's a lot of glitter!
that's the proper amount ..... well even more would be proper but I suppose that'll do.

:biggrin:

:like: