Trying to love the unlovable

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
Greg_L

Re: Trying to love the unlovable

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:31 am Infinite smoothness!

And then you'll drop it eventually, and put a huge, ugly divot in.
That would require me using it, and I really don't see that happening. :facepalm2: :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:45 am
JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:09 am I'm genuinely impressed with the effort and patience here.
Patience is the effort. That's the hardest part - being patient. It's just paint. But waiting the appropriate times between steps is tough. I took way longer than necessary due to weather and lack of experience and all sorts of other shit going on at the same time, which probably worked to my advantage. I couldn't have rushed it even if I wanted to and I think that helped get the good results.
I'm totally ill suited to that. When I start a job I feel like I have to finish it straight away! Even DIY jobs around the house like painting a room or something - I hate leaving a job half done and having to go back to it later!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:46 pm
I'm totally ill suited to that. When I start a job I feel like I have to finish it straight away! Even DIY jobs around the house like painting a room or something - I hate leaving a job half done and having to go back to it later!
It just depends on the task for me. If it's something fun like working on an amp I'll try to knock it out. If it's painting a room, well that might take a year.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:45 am I took way longer than necessary ....
I can challenge this..... :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2:

For real though. that looks pretty amazing dude. It capture the light perfectly and send it on thru your clear with no resistance!!

The patience is worth it though. that to me is the best part. You work and you wait and you work some more and you wait some more. Then you get down to that last grit and start the buff and polish and the thing just comes alive. That's the moment when you realize like "holy shit, this is actually a kick ass guitar and HLY SHIT I DID IT MYSELF" then the impatience set's in.

I suppose not unlike the first time you discover high and low pass filters on an EQ to bring out your drums or guitars or whatever. But there is just something a little more special with a project like this as it does have time constraints you are at the mercy of and completely out of your control.

Can't wait to see it all together and making twangs!
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

you're gonna use it for something .... no way something that you put so much work into and that flat out looks awesome is just going in the corner.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:41 pm you're gonna use it for something .... no way something that you put so much work into and that flat out looks awesome is just going in the corner.
Yeah but unfortunately.....it is still just a Strat. :facepalm:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Well, here it is....

Started like this...

Now it's this....

It sure looks great. It's nice to look at. But it's still a Strat. :facepalm2: :facepalm: :mad3:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:08 pm Well, here it is....

Started like this...

Now it's this....

It sure looks great. It's nice to look at. But it's still a Strat. :facepalm2: :facepalm: :mad3:
That is a huge improvement. If anything it would motivate me big time to pick it up and play it dude!!! nice make over !!! really nice make over !!!
rayc

Post by rayc »

That looks excellent.
You'll need to write n record a surf song before retiring it to the wall.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:28 pm
That is a huge improvement. If anything it would motivate me big time to pick it up and play it dude!!! nice make over !!! really nice make over !!!
Thanks! It still needs some "mechanical" work. The nut is garbage. I gotta replace that thing. Well, that's actually about it. The rest is good to go. I did a fret crown and polish and the action is nice and low and smooth. Plays nice.
rayc wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:48 pm That looks excellent.
You'll need to write n record a surf song before retiring it to the wall.
Thanks man. I'm gonna do a Dick Dale cover for @JD01 and then probably retire it. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

you need a little purple and green on that thing
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Now you've gotta learn Nitro. That'll get your trem-picking up to scratch!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:29 am Now you've gotta learn Nitro. That'll get your trem-picking up to scratch!
Already know it.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just listening to it now - its more drippy drip than I remember, particularly the breakdown bit in the middle and it appears to speed up a bit after that too.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:37 am Just listening to it now - its more drippy drip than I remember, particularly the breakdown bit in the middle and it appears to speed up a bit after that too.
The changes and the drums are the hardest parts about it.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Listening to a lot of Dick Dale today actually. The whole of Tribal Thunder is excellent. I hadn't realised that he'd done a great duet with SRV.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Dick Dale is an under-appreciated national treasure.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

If it weren't for dick dale I'd never have picked up a guitar.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Me and a friend took Mr Dale for a cheeseburger after a show in 1993 or 1994. It was crazy. We just happened to see him behind the club after the gig and asked him if he wanted to go get some food. "Hey Dick Dale! Kick ass show! You hungry? You wanna go get something to eat?" He said yeah and we sort of kidnapped him. He told no one. He just jumped in the car and we were off into the night with a surf guitar legend. My buddy that was driving had a 1964 Ford Falcon and Dick Dale signed the door panel. We dropped him off at his hotel and that was that.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:45 pm Me and a friend took Mr Dale for a cheeseburger after a show in 1993 or 1994. It was crazy. We just happened to see him behind the club after the gig and asked him if he wanted to go get some food. "Hey Dick Dale! Kick ass show! You hungry? You wanna go get something to eat?" He said yeah and we sort of kidnapped him. He told no one. He just jumped in the car and we were off into the night with a surf guitar legend. My buddy that was driving had a 1964 Ford Falcon and Dick Dale signed the door panel. We dropped him off at his hotel and that was that.
HAHAHA!!! brilliant. that a story for the scrapbook for sure :like: :like: