Holy Bummer Batman.

General recording topics.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Holy Bummer Batman.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Nothing sucks the wind out of a guys sails faster than trying to MAKE time to be creative again and then get cockblocked by a freakin onslaught of nothing but technical glitches, missing paths, missing plug ins, twaeking windows 10 and the computer for millionth bloody time. etc etc etc etc .

for over two hours. honestly. I have done nothing but patch holes in my DAW's Drywall for 2 hours.

Frig. This is entirely why i tapped out this all together back in 2009. :dislike:
:happytrees:
JD01

Re: Holy Bummer Batman.

Post by JD01 »

Ergh. Thats so frustrating, mate.
I suppose when you get time to record a lot you deal with glitches as they arise, if you don't then the glitches mount up.

Give us a shout if I can help with anything although tech support isn't my forte I might know a workaround.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

I’ve dealt with so many Windows headaches that I went Mac and never gone back. Mac isn’t for everyone for sure, but I love the fact it’s class compliant, that I can use an aggregate device if I want to, and that I just don’t get these annoying updates and BSoD on them.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

That is a bummer.

Are you all spun up and functional now, or is there more fixing to do?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Cheers lads.

@CrowsofFritz When this was a windows 7 machine, it was flawless. I rarely if ever had any issues. It was simply sit down, get going. Sadly the biggest hurdle there was the irrecoverable hard drive failure on my main SSD that led me to this. So that kind of sucked. Now it is windows 10 and it just kind of stinks for reasons i'll list below.

@vomitHatSteve It's really slow to fire up reaper, it's really slow unpacking zip files, sometimes Reaper just vanishes. Literally. Just BLIP gone. No warning. NO error, no nothing. Just gone. Last night some of my plugins I thought I had reinstalled generated errors saying they weren't there. The focusrite bullshit from my other thread, that is probably just a lame focusrite thing and not a DAW thing. Reaper also did this thing to me twice last night where my space bar no longer acted as a pause or stop. It just played. I could stop or pause playback. If i hit space it would just send the time marker back to 0,0. had to fix that with a restart.

I dunno. It was just a bummer. Last night was the first night i felt like i had energy to commit to "getting back in the saddle" it was just an exhausting night of google and troubleshooting.

To be fair, Tad did tiptoe around my DAW's components being dated and i knew that i just didn't think Windows 10 would be such a curveball on this thing. I am just noticing all kinds of little functional differences. I think if i can tough it out i may just wait until windows 11 rolls out and maybe look at upgrading to something fresh then. After all the software's and Interfaces get bench tested by their makers.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:58 pm
To be fair, Tad did tiptoe around my DAW's components being dated and i knew that i just didn't think Windows 10 would be such a curveball on this thing. I am just noticing all kinds of little functional differences. I think if i can tough it out i may just wait until windows 11 rolls out and maybe look at upgrading to something fresh then. After all the software's and Interfaces get bench tested by their makers.
You mean a hardware upgrade too? Yeah that might be the solution.

You gonna build your own or buy a pre-configured one?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:03 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:58 pm
You mean a hardware upgrade too? Yeah that might be the solution.

You gonna build your own or buy a pre-configured one?
Yes, if windows 11 rolls out and all the stuff i use seems to flow into it ok I'll just look at getting a whole new computer. I'd like to build my own cause that's just how i am but with the new OS being new and fresh and my actual knowledge of parts and components being so out of date I may just look at preconfigured or something. Really too soon to think about at this point.
rayc

Post by rayc »

"it’s class compliant, ... use an aggregate device ... updates and BSoD..."
WHAT?
Spoken like a Mac user.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:41 pm "it’s class compliant, ... use an aggregate device ... updates and BSoD..."
WHAT?
Spoken like a Mac user.
The interface you use for a Mac are all class compliant. That means I can just plug in and don’t have to install any finicky drivers. I hate ASIO and I still have trouble the drivers the interface comes with.

If I wanted to use a second interface (even one that’s completely different), it’s super easy to set up an aggregate device. AFAIK, in order to do this on Windows, you have to use a crap ASIO driver and it’s not guaranteed to work.

I hate Windows updates. Even turning them off, I still somehow got forced to do them??? Wtf. So unless I completely turn off internet, it’s a problem for me.
rayc

Post by rayc »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:13 pm
rayc wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:41 pm "it’s class compliant, ... use an aggregate device ... updates and BSoD..."
WHAT?
Spoken like a Mac user.
The interface you use for a Mac are all class compliant. That means I can just plug in and don’t have to install any finicky drivers. I hate ASIO and I still have trouble the drivers the interface comes with.

If I wanted to use a second interface (even one that’s completely different), it’s super easy to set up an aggregate device. AFAIK, in order to do this on Windows, you have to use a crap ASIO driver and it’s not guaranteed to work.

I hate Windows updates. Even turning them off, I still somehow got forced to do them??? Wtf. So unless I completely turn off internet, it’s a problem for me.
Oh, plug n Play, stackable and the OS is so incredibly stable that updates aren't needed, (because we do that by selling a new phone every year)?

Man, that's one huge pile of First World entitlement. We do comply with the Dead Kennedy's 1987 album title don't we? I'm as easily inconvenienced as the next boomer. I know what you mean but it is a Mac World View that reinforces Mac World and keeps the $$$ rolling into Macland. It's the closed, ransom hardware based world that Apple Lovers love because they like the colours of the bars in their cell or something. The BIG point is - what you can afford and works for you I suppose. If you're happier to create within those circumstances then job well done.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:29 pm
CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:13 pm

Oh, plug n Play, stackable and the OS is so incredibly stable that updates aren't needed, (because we do that by selling a new phone every year)?

Man, that's one huge pile of First World entitlement. We do comply with the Dead Kennedy's 1987 album title don't we? I'm as easily inconvenienced as the next boomer. I know what you mean but it is a Mac World View that reinforces Mac World and keeps the $$$ rolling into Macland. It's the closed, ransom hardware based world that Apple Lovers love because they like the colours of the bars in their cell or something. The BIG point is - what you can afford and works for you I suppose. If you're happier to create within those circumstances then job well done.
Ray, we’re on an audio forum where we meticulously decide between loads of different interfaces, headphones, guitars, and other equipment we don’t need. Not sure why you’re drawing a line with Apple. You think Behringer, Microsoft, and Google are any better companies?
rayc

Post by rayc »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:04 pm Ray, we’re on an audio forum where we meticulously decide between loads of different interfaces, headphones, guitars, and other equipment we don’t need. Not sure why you’re drawing a line with Apple. You think Behringer, Microsoft, and Google are any better companies?
No mate, I'm not.
I avoid Google as much as I can...I don't use the name as a verb, I don't use their search engine but I'm stuck with their ownership of UTUB until a viable alternative makes its case to me. Google is a nasty organization. A former student of mine was selected to do an "internship" with them and was stoked. She's less of a fan now. Behringer isn't a fabulous company: they have an huge facility in China and they have cheap products in part because of the conditions and wages they pay Chinese workers. Apple sources huge amounts of stuff in China and they have been castigated for their blind eye treatment of workers there. Mircosoft is pretty nasty too...BUT they do allow other developers to use the codes, don't change connections to force peripheral upgrades etc., because they see growth & profit from a different direction.
Samsung aren't fab, General Motor is evil, B&AT are the embodiment of Satan etc. etc.
I doubt many folk see Apple, Microsoft and the other unwieldy behemoths as great global citizens, environmental stewards or providers of reasonably priced pieces of kit, but seeing them as essential giants constantly painting their customers into corners may be a more common perception.
I was commenting less on Apple, a company I've avoided in my personal life since about 1987, and more on the mind set of many of their adherents. You explained your reasons for preferring Apple, areas of convenience for you in a digital audio environment, and I commented. The difference being our individual decisions about loads of different bits of audio gear we probably don't need.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Now that Mac vs. PC is out of the way...

Next up: analog vs. digital. GO!

:D
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Digital in every way.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:02 am Now that Mac vs. PC is out of the way...

Next up: analog vs. digital. GO!

:D
You FIRST!
Though I'd offer analogue versus digital.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:25 am Digital in every way.
These days 100%.
I still have my analogue recording stuff and I do use it occasionally but that's for nostalgia purposes as the types and speeds of tape I have aren't going to give me "that tape sound".
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I don't use any Mac/Apple products. Not a single one.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I use a mac for work, and I have an old iPhone for my iStomp pedals. Generally, I'm not a fan. As a power user, the closed-off interface usually just means that I don't have access to use my computer the way I really want to.

As to the issues with updates and BSoD Crows has, Mac does have its own automatic updates and is susceptible to full crashes; but it's possible that it's more seamless or less frequent than windows.

I'm all about digital as the primary way to deal with audio. Analog is good for effect.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

This is the exact reason I left my PC at Win 7 and never do updates to the OS. I'll update Reaper, but nothing else.

So far the only negative manifestation is that I can't update the Kemper further than it already is as Win 7 support only went so far, so I'm missing out on a bunch of "cool" stuff I'm sure, but cool stuff is a rabbit hole I seek to avoid. I learnt about the Win 7 support when I went to upgrade it because apparently the new version has some good distortion stomp box stuff. No biggie.

Everything. Just. Works. When it's seriously time to update the machine, I'll just be getting a new machine and starting afresh.

Good luck WJ! I feel your pain...
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:55 am
CrowsofFritz wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:25 am Digital in every way.
These days 100%.
I still have my analogue recording stuff and I do use it occasionally but that's for nostalgia purposes as the types and speeds of tape I have aren't going to give me "that tape sound".
I wish heat were here. I wonder if he still uses his 688. He managed to get a really good sound from that thing.