NGOTWD

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Tadpui

NGOTWD

Post by Tadpui »

New Guitar On The Way Day!

Man, it's been a long time since I've bought a new guitar. I've been shopping for an ES-335 in Cherry Red with block inlays and a slim neck profile, but the only Gibson varieties that satisfy my criteria are in the $5000-$7000 range. As much as I really really want a legit ES-335, I just can't bring myself to spend that on a single instrument.

So I started shopping for knockoffs. The Epiphones just didn't excite me. I looked at Harley Benton, and while they're a great value per dollar, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I looked at Heritage, but they're almost as expensive as the real deal (and they fired all of their experienced builders a few years ago). I even looked at Dusenberg after Armi's awesome score recently but they're a little scarce and overpriced in the US (I'm still keeping an eye out because they make some really beautiful guitars).

Then I found this. A Hagstrom Super Viking. It checks all of my boxes. Transparent red, block inlays, a neck that doesn't profile as a baseball bat, modestly priced...and gorgeous. The wood under the finish doesn't seem to have much (if any) figuring or anything, so it looks a little bland. But Hagstrom's art deco appointments more than make up for it. It's a b-stock guitar, and after chatting with the store, apparently the cosmetic flaw that justifies this is a couple of milky spots in the clear coat on the front of the headstock. I can live with that.

The shop owner says his tech will give it a once-over today and it'll be in the mail tomorrow!

https://reverb.com/item/42143764-hagstr ... ransparent

liv_rong

Re: NGOTWD

Post by liv_rong »

Nice!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Dang dude. that is a really nice guitar! good score!!!
:happytrees:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

liv_rong wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:42 pmNice!
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:55 pm Dang dude. that is a really nice guitar! good score!!!
Thanks guys! I'm really excited to have a semi-hollow finally. I'm intrigued by Hagstrom as a brand. I think they manufacture in China, but they have such a good reputation that I couldn't resist.

I've bought a few guitars sight-unseen by now, and I've had pretty good luck with it. You never know how a guitar is going to feel until you get your hands on it, but I've got high hopes for this one. But there's always the nagging feeling that it's going to feel like crap or play horribly or refuse to stay in tune, etc. Mainly I just hope that UPS treats it well enough enroute that it arrives on my doorstep unscathed.

Now I've just gotta figure out where it's going to live. My guitar rack is full, and I don't have much spare wall space. I'll figure something out...
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

You got it after all! That’s awesome! Record some good toans for us!
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:10 pm Thanks guys! I'm really excited to have a semi-hollow finally. I'm intrigued by Hagstrom as a brand. I think they manufacture in China, but they have such a good reputation that I couldn't resist.
I have futzed around with a few hagstroms before at a shop here in town and there isn't anything at all wrong with them. They felt great, sounded great, looked sharp. Nothing quite as rad this one. If I had disposable income and saw a lefty model that caught my eye i'd snag one for sure.

Can't wait to see it!

Will you be doing an unboxing video or anything?
muttley

Post by muttley »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:36 pm ............The wood under the finish doesn't seem to have much (if any) figuring or anything, so it looks a little bland. But Hagstrom's art deco appointments more than make up for it. ..........
You don't want pretty wood under a 335 translucent finish. The originals were pretty tame and just laminate tops with some of them having fancy figured veneer backs.. Thats how I like them. That looks pretty cool for a 335 style. Good score, I hope it delivers for you.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:13 pm You got it after all! That’s awesome! Record some good toans for us!
I did! I was close to pulling the trigger on a Harley Benton but then I saw this fella and couldn't resist. Plus the wife really likes how it looks, so that sealed the deal :D
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:14 pm I have futzed around with a few hagstroms before at a shop here in town and there isn't anything at all wrong with them. They felt great, sounded great, looked sharp. Nothing quite as rad this one. If I had disposable income and saw a lefty model that caught my eye i'd snag one for sure.

Can't wait to see it!

Will you be doing an unboxing video or anything?
That's good to know. I only know Hagstrom by 2nd hand reviews, so I'm anxious to get my hands on this one! I might do an unboxing, actually it'd be a good idea to film it anyways just in case it gets damaged and I'd have some leverage against UPS.
muttley wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:15 pm You don't want pretty wood under a 335 translucent finish. The originals were pretty tame and just laminate tops with some of them having fancy figured veneer backs.. Thats how I like them. That looks pretty cool for a 335 style. Good score, I hope it delivers for you.
That's good to know, Mutt. I've ogled the figured 335s at Gibson's upper end and they look really nice. But you're right, now that I look at more standard models, they're not all that fancy under the finish. Thanks, and I hope it's a good one as well!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Nice score! But if you attract Mr Hagstrom Miro back here, there'll be trouble... :lollers:

They had some Hagstroms at the place I bought the Duesenberg but I didn't play any.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Armistice wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:52 pm Nice score! But if you attract Mr Hagstrom Miro back here, there'll be trouble... :lollers:

They had some Hagstroms at the place I bought the Duesenberg but I didn't play any.
LOL yeah I thought about that...but I kept my trap shut :D :D :D

The nearest place to me that sells Dusenbergs is hundreds of miles away, and only had 1 in stock on their web page. In order to actually touch more than one, I'd have to hop on a plane and make a weekend of it. But I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for them. Such cool designs.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Tad becomes the new Miro?
As an owner of a Harley Benton hollow body 12 string Rick knock off i can tell you the quality is quite good and the sound is fab.
As the owner of an Epiphone Sheraton II...rather like the 335...I can tell you it's really good but HEAVY.
Well done mate..enjoy.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

rayc wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:25 pm Tad becomes the new Miro?
As an owner of a Harley Benton hollow body 12 string Rick knock off i can tell you the quality is quite good and the sound is fab.
As the owner of an Epiphone Sheraton II...rather like the 335...I can tell you it's really good but HEAVY.
Well done mate..enjoy.
Easy now, Ray :D LOL

I'm almost certainly going to return to Harley Benton because I've got a couple other guitar wants/needs to satisfy in the near future. Their stuff is so incredibly affordable, I thinking of getting one of their baritone guitars and their LP Junior knockoff. I could get both of those for less than I paid for this one 335 knockoff. And they get very good user reviews.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Awesome!

I love NGD!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I had a Hagstrom Swede and it was a great guitar even if Miro had like 20 of them,.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I forgot about Miro. lol.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That's really nice, Tad. Hope it works out.
Make sure you give us an update when it arrives. I'm sure if there's any drawbacks it won't be anything you can't sort with a bit of setup work.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:36 pm New Guitar On The Way Day!

Man, it's been a long time since I've bought a new guitar. I've been shopping for an ES-335 in Cherry Red with block inlays and a slim neck profile, but the only Gibson varieties that satisfy my criteria are in the $5000-$7000 range. As much as I really really want a legit ES-335, I just can't bring myself to spend that on a single instrument.

So I started shopping for knockoffs. The Epiphones just didn't excite me. I looked at Harley Benton, and while they're a great value per dollar, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I looked at Heritage, but they're almost as expensive as the real deal (and they fired all of their experienced builders a few years ago). I even looked at Dusenberg after Armi's awesome score recently but they're a little scarce and overpriced in the US (I'm still keeping an eye out because they make some really beautiful guitars).

Then I found this. A Hagstrom Super Viking. It checks all of my boxes. Transparent red, block inlays, a neck that doesn't profile as a baseball bat, modestly priced...and gorgeous. The wood under the finish doesn't seem to have much (if any) figuring or anything, so it looks a little bland. But Hagstrom's art deco appointments more than make up for it. It's a b-stock guitar, and after chatting with the store, apparently the cosmetic flaw that justifies this is a couple of milky spots in the clear coat on the front of the headstock. I can live with that.

The shop owner says his tech will give it a once-over today and it'll be in the mail tomorrow!

https://reverb.com/item/42143764-hagstr ... ransparent

Dude that's awesome. I love it. I'm also on the look for a semi-hollow and have had my eyes on these, or a Guild Starfire. They're damn near identical. Good luck with it! :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

musicturtle wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:37 pm Awesome!

I love NGD!
Thanks Tony! I love NGD too, although it's been since about 2015 since I've experienced one!
Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:59 am I had a Hagstrom Swede and it was a great guitar even if Miro had like 20 of them,.
The Swede / Super Swede really looks like a great guitar. I learned that the "Super" designation means that they have a Fender-like scale length, as opposed to the shorter Gibson scale length. So it'll be interesting to play a 335-style guitar with a 25.5" scale. I'm looking forward to it!
JD01 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:31 am That's really nice, Tad. Hope it works out.
Make sure you give us an update when it arrives. I'm sure if there's any drawbacks it won't be anything you can't sort with a bit of setup work.
Thanks JD! I have all of the tools and about half of the experience that it'll take to get it set up :D
Greg_L wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:26 am Dude that's awesome. I love it. I'm also on the look for a semi-hollow and have had my eyes on these, or a Guild Starfire. They're damn near identical. Good luck with it! :coolstorybro:
Thanks! I came across a couple Starfires as I was shopping. I do like the looks of them, very classy instruments. And they've been around for a really long time. I think Jerry Garcia played one before he even joined the Dead (I read that yesterday as I was trying to figure out what he used on the Live/Dead album...it was an SG thru a cranked Twin. That was before his tone went to shit :))
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:08 pm
Armistice wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:52 pm Nice score! But if you attract Mr Hagstrom Miro back here, there'll be trouble... :lollers:

LOL yeah I thought about that...but I kept my trap shut :D :D :D

The nearest place to me that sells Dusenbergs is hundreds of miles away, and only had 1 in stock on their web page. In order to actually touch more than one, I'd have to hop on a plane and make a weekend of it. But I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for them. Such cool designs.
I've got to tell you, every time I open the case and look at my new guitar, I just think, wow... that's so nice. And as a result I pull it out and play something and... god damn it, have I just invented the basis of ANOTHER song?

I'm not much in a singing, detailed recording mood at the moment, but jeez I'm getting some ideas down - exactly what you want in a new guitar. Hopefully you'll get the same thing happening with your new baby when it arrives.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Armistice wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:16 pm I've got to tell you, every time I open the case and look at my new guitar, I just think, wow... that's so nice. And as a result I pull it out and play something and... god damn it, have I just invented the basis of ANOTHER song?

I'm not much in a singing, detailed recording mood at the moment, but jeez I'm getting some ideas down - exactly what you want in a new guitar. Hopefully you'll get the same thing happening with your new baby when it arrives.
I hope so too! I hate to depend upon new gear acquisitions to spur me to play and create, but it sure doesn't hurt ;)

I do like how different feeling guitars push me to play differently. Fighting the .012 gauge strings on my wide/flat Jazzmaster neck is such a different experience than playing .011 strings on my shorter scale LP. The feel, the resistance, even the weight and balance of the guitars make for such different playing experiences that I play different stuff depending upon which one I pick up.