Bass amp/cab sim pedals

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
vomitHatSteve

Bass amp/cab sim pedals

Post by vomitHatSteve »

So now that my bands are practicing using an IEM system, I'm looking into how to upgrade my DI bass tone.

I like how my crate power block sounds into a 1x12, but I can't get the same kind of results with the amp's DI channel.

Anyone have any recommendations on amp/cab sim pedals that would sound good on bass and allow me to just skip the amp while practicing (and potentially for some shows where we play without stage amps)?
Lt. Bob

Re: Bass amp/cab sim pedals

Post by Lt. Bob »

I would say any of the modelers ...... my Digitech RP 360 would do great and you can get them used for maybe 80 bucks.
Or find a used POD or something like that.
That's gonna be your cheapest way out ...... I have an old J-Station I use for bass sometimes.
You can find all these for 100 bucks or so and if you're any good at dialing in sounds they'll all do a good bass.

If you're able to spend a bit more then you might want to look at the Sansamp stuff:
I like the VT ....

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... 348f5aa6b9

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... 46ffe08bbf

JD01

Post by JD01 »

I have a Behringer, BDI21 which I think is a cheapy SansAmp clone. Works ok for me anyway.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

SansAmp is the bass DI standard.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Thanks, guys.

When I was looking at it on Sweetwater yesterday, they had 3 different models of bass sansamp.* Is there any real difference between them?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... iver-di-v2
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... vt-bass-di
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -driver-di

* Plus, 3 or 4 Geddy Lee signature models

JD, does that Behri have XLR out? For $35, it's probably worth just trying out even if it sucks.
Edit: from the reviews I'm seeing that it does. But it may not have cab simulation? Which is the part I'd need most.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:57 am Thanks, guys.

When I was looking at it on Sweetwater yesterday, they had 3 different models of bass sansamp.* Is there any real difference between them?

JD, does that Behri have XLR out? For $35, it's probably worth just trying out even if it sucks.
Edit: from the reviews I'm seeing that it does. But it may not have cab simulation? Which is the part I'd need most.
Yup, XLR out and cab sim. Its what I use for all of my bass tones.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:17 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:57 am Thanks, guys.

Yup, XLR out and cab sim. Its what I use for all of my bass tones.
Cool. Thank you.

I'm also checking out this guy:

It might be more flexible for my uses since I could load my own impulses. One issue I've had with my solo stuff lately is that I don't like bothering to tote my speaker along, but the Smokey DI is pretty harsh. With a stereo cab pedal like this, I could run both bass and guitar channels into their respective channels and get pretty nice results hopefully.

Man. I gotta rebuild my pedal boards.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Worth trying for less than 30 quid. Rayc recommended it to me, I was very sceptical until I tried it... and it worked. Its not going to change your life but it works fine.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

I have the Sansamp GED-2112. That thing is a beast! You can get pretty much any type of bass sound that you would ever want. If you really want a pedal then get the Sansamp DI-2112.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Hmmmm... The overarching premise of Regdar and the Fighters is making fun of Rush. Having their signature pedal would be very on-brand.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

The name on a piece of gear doesn't mean shit to me. It either sounds good and functions the way you want it to or it doesn't. I have 2 Steve Vai amps yet I couldn't name a single one of his songs even if you held a gun to my head.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Sansamp is GREAT but expensive (Gene Simmons uses a bank of them LIVE).
The Behringer BDI21 is really good as it's an almost exact clone of the sansamp (you do have to think through the settings when trying to replicate the SA's sample settings) and about 20% of the cost. I do think a compressor in front of it helps a lot too.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

rayc wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:43 pm Sansamp is GREAT but expensive (Gene Simmons uses a bank of them LIVE).
The Behringer BDI21 is really good as it's an almost exact clone of the sansamp (you do have to think through the settings when trying to replicate the SA's sample settings) and about 20% of the cost. I do think a compressor in front of it helps a lot too.
Hmmm... Compression is an important feature. One problem I've tended to have DIing my bass is that my other pedals wreak havoc with my volume.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I watched that Geddy video...I had seen one featuring him a while back...my those chaps chose uninteresting stuff to do and to, way more often than I'd expected, stuff up.
Head bobbing bearded, bespectacled fellow playing supposedly funky lines blurred by excessive overdrive doesn't sell anything to me.
Anyone notice how many of these people bend the strings as they play? Too much muscle & effort?
It's odd that these super pro expensive bits of kit don't have a compressor built in.
I HATE the knobs n buttons on the 2112...the black on black section particularly and those buttons underneath it - how do you know what's engaged etc when it's on a board?
Is bass really the instrument of choice for middle aged Caucasians with no rhythm and a prog fetish?
Oh, none of the youtube videos about the BDI are worth the time to watch..somehow if it's a Behringer product only the worst amateurs, like me, demo it. This one is reasonable as it addresses the drive section...
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

rayc wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:44 pm I watched that Geddy video...I had seen one featuring him a while back...my those chaps chose uninteresting stuff to do and to, way more often than I'd expected, stuff up.
Head bobbing bearded, bespectacled fellow playing supposedly funky lines blurred by excessive overdrive doesn't sell anything to me.
Anyone notice how many of these people bend the strings as they play? Too much muscle & effort?
It's odd that these super pro expensive bits of kit don't have a compressor built in.
I HATE the knobs n buttons on the 2112...the black on black section particularly and those buttons underneath it - how do you know what's engaged etc when it's on a board?
Is bass really the instrument of choice for middle aged Caucasians with no rhythm and a prog fetish?
Oh, none of the youtube videos about the BDI are worth the time to watch..somehow if it's a Behringer product only the worst amateurs, like me, demo it. This one is reasonable as it addresses the drive section...
This guy doesn't know what to do with his hands, and I couldn't figure out how to frame up his awkward gesticulating. It's pretty uncomfortable to watch. :lollers:

I do like the tones they were getting out of the geddy pedal, but yes, the structure of that video was pretty insufferable!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I thought tech21 had a little sans amp rig that had built in compression?
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:18 pm I thought tech21 had a little sans amp rig that had built in compression?
@rayc @vomitHatSteve

Yes they got something like this with sans amp built into it too.

I think there is a newer version to this called the v2. Id google better but im sitting in a parking lot waiting for donuts.

But i rememebr wanting this a while ago. Not sure what prices are like but this could be really badass in anyones bass rig.
:happytrees:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Sansamp tech 21 bass Fly Rig 2.

My initial thoughts - eek. TWO sansamps in one...the 2nd has a mid bump so hardly a 2nd circuit.
Over AUS$500
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

That is quite a footprint for a pedal board!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Steve, just get the Behringer BDI21 and a Mooer Yellow Comp. Cheap as fuck.