Old guitar fix up

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
musicturtle

Old guitar fix up

Post by musicturtle »

So I have a late 80s Ovation I haven't played in a while that I want to give some love.

I need to replace the strap knobs which were old, loose and poorly rigged.

Any ideas on how to install some here since it is plastic not wood.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Re: Old guitar fix up

Post by Greg_L »

Yikes. I'd say relocate it. Put the strap button on the heel of the neck somewhere.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

^^^^^^^^^
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I dunno about that ..... depends on the player.
Personally I find the way guitars want to tilt a little forward with a button on the heel makes them close to unplayable for me ...... I have thatr problem with SGs for instance and I have a 335 clone that has the button opn the heel and I hate it ...... keep meaning to move it but I have other guitars so I go for lazy . :D

I'd simply take a piece of plastic just large enough to cover the hole and glue it from inside ...... drill a hole in it and then use a small bolt and nut to hold the button onto that.
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:26 pm Yikes. I'd say relocate it. Put the strap button on the heel of the neck somewhere.
Yeah...problem is I have the same issue where the other button goes.

May have to look into some sort of washer combination.

Or a small piece of wood on the inside to tighten the button into.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Can you actually get inside that via the front holes to glue something anyway?

If so I'd glue a circular piece of hard plastic, or maybe even hardwood as large as you can get in, over the hole from the inside then when it's dry use some type of epoxy filler to fill to the surface level, then when that's dry glue a sympathetically coloured hard plastic or wood circle on that and when it's all set drill a hole in it all and screw in a strap button. Should be plenty there for it to grab onto...
rayc

Post by rayc »

I remember when they were THE thing in the late 70s...a friend of mine bought one...traded his Ibanez Hummingbird 12 string for it. he traded back after two months, losing significantly on the deal, becasue of problems with the fibreglass back.
Creating something on the inside to screw into looks like the go for a total know nothing like me. Def. something wooden and that is based on the inside.
David's construction sandwich seems nifty.
Cheers
rayc
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Armistice wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:34 pm Can you actually get inside that via the front holes to glue something anyway?

If so I'd glue a circular piece of hard plastic, or maybe even hardwood as large as you can get in, over the hole from the inside then when it's dry use some type of epoxy filler to fill to the surface level, then when that's dry glue a sympathetically coloured hard plastic or wood circle on that and when it's all set drill a hole in it all and screw in a strap button. Should be plenty there for it to grab onto...
Yes I can. There is a removable circle on the back that gives access to the inside of the guitar. That sounds like a really good idea.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

rayc wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:18 pm I remember when they were THE thing in the late 70s...a friend of mine bought one...traded his Ibanez Hummingbird 12 string for it. he traded back after two months, losing significantly on the deal, becasue of problems with the fibreglass back.
Creating something on the inside to screw into looks like the go for a total know nothing like me. Def. something wooden and that is based on the inside.
I actually have always really liked this guitar. It plays like a dream. It is shallow back version, so it doesn't slip around too much, and it actually sounds good, especially plugged in.

I came upon this through a trade as well. Back in 1994ish. I was playing a good deal of live shows and it made more sense. I have never had any problems with the fiberglass back, in fact, it got stepped on, and the sound board split down the middle. I popped it back together and it was still in tune.
rayc

Post by rayc »

musicturtle wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:26 pm
rayc wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:18 pm I remember when they were THE thing in the late 70s...a friend of mine bought one...traded his Ibanez Hummingbird 12 string for it. he traded back after two months, losing significantly on the deal, becasue of problems with the fibreglass back.
I actually have always really liked this guitar. It plays like a dream. It is shallow back version, so it doesn't slip around too much, and it actually sounds good, especially plugged in.

I came upon this through a trade as well. Back in 1994ish. I was playing a good deal of live shows and it made more sense. I have never had any problems with the fiberglass back, in fact, it got stepped on, and the sound board split down the middle. I popped it back together and it was still in tune.
I suspect my college friend's Ovation, being fairly early on, may have had the teething problems. Mainly separation of fibreglass from front.
Impressive step recovery!
Cheers
rayc
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

So I finally got back to this.

When I see some of the builds and things you all do on here, not sure why am posting this, but I like that I found a solution.

Digging through some old stuff in the garage I found two black bolts left over from a flat screen mounting kit. I just permanently attached a cheap strap, and there ya go.

Still have to glue some loose binding on it, but I strung it up and it still plays well and the intonation is fine.

I will make a nice travel guitar because I don't really care if it gets messed up or lost.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

that's great ..... and I love Ovations and screw anyone that doesn't!

I've never played one pf those with the sound holes in the shoulders but I had a Balladeer in the early 70's I wish I still had.

That's a good fix for a nice old git
rayc

Post by rayc »

Well done Tony!
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Nice one Tony.

I've only played an Ovation copy, I didn't like it much, the bowl back was weird - it would sit against my body comfortably when I was standing up... I did used to play standing up.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:39 am Nice one Tony.

I've only played an Ovation copy, I didn't like it much, the bowl back was weird - it would sit against my body comfortably when I was standing up... I did used to play standing up.
Thanks lol...yeah I play seated a lot more now than I used to as well.

This particular model is actually flat on the bottom and top of the body, so it sits well on you lap when played.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

my balladeer had a grippy rubber thingie on the body where it rests on your leg when seated ..... never had a problem with it slipping off that I remember