Double kick pedal

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
liv_rong

Double kick pedal

Post by liv_rong »

I got one. It’s ok so far, I think I’ll have a lot of fun with it.
Farview

Re: Double kick pedal

Post by Farview »

Welcome to the 1990s.

I went to one once I finally decided that carting around a second kick drum was more trouble than it is worth. The trick is setting both sides up so they almost feel the same. The best ones I had were the axis pedals.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:57 pm I got one. It’s ok so far, I think I’ll have a lot of fun with it.
I'm surprised you didn't already have one.

What did you get?
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I love playing with double kicks, and I love it when my drummers have them. (I have no idea what I'm doing, but they're fun to play with)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Double-kick abuse is a problem though. It's a fine line to walk. Tasteful double kick is great but it can quickly morph into overuse and there's not much in drumming that's worse than excessive kick drum beats.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:09 am Double-kick abuse is a problem though. It's a fine line to walk. Tasteful double kick is great but it can quickly morph into overuse and there's not much in drumming that's worse than excessive kick drum beats.
a tie between that and constant cymbal bashing
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:54 am
liv_rong wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:57 pm I got one. It’s ok so far, I think I’ll have a lot of fun with it.
I'm surprised you didn't already have one.

What did you get?
I got a DW5000, a used one. It’s the single chain version, was only $90.

I was looking at the Tama Iron Cobra 600 but luckily checked shop down the street first.

This place is literally three blocks away, I walk there.
https://www.drugansdrums.com/ https://instagram.com/drugansdrumsandgu ... =copy_link

They have tons of shit. Also have a nice studio with two rooms and a bunch of nice modern small rooms for lessons. Good people too.
Farview

Post by Farview »

The only thing to watch out for with the dw5000s is the hinge at the back of the footboard is weak. It wears out and gets sloppy over time. It can be replaced with the hinge from the 9000s, which is heftier.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:48 pm
Greg_L wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:09 am Double-kick abuse is a problem though. It's a fine line to walk. Tasteful double kick is great but it can quickly morph into overuse and there's not much in drumming that's worse than excessive kick drum beats.
a tie between that and constant cymbal bashing
If forced to choose, I definitely prefer the former.

We went to see Nas with the symphony last week, and I had a realization. I think overall my preferred drum style is hip-hop drumming: tight hats, complex patterns, kick and snare that mostly have a groove but then do interesting deviations.
Whereas the big, straightforward crashy drums tend to get on my nerves.