New guitar day...

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Armistice

New guitar day...

Post by Armistice »

Blue, for boys... :lollers: My birthday and Christmas present... :wink: (birthday is in 2 weeks, you didn't miss it)
20210921_111032_resized.jpg
20210921_111132_resized.jpg
20210921_111109_resized.jpg
Never got so much stuff with a new guitar before... including 6 x Allan keys...
20210921_110753_resized.jpg

And this very cute piece of marketing...
Capture.PNG

Build quality is sensational - as you'd expect of "German engineering" - and it looks gorgeous in an art deco sort of a way. Will post some sound clips later on perhaps... everything on it has been manufactured by Duesenberg, so everything has the same "three step" design style applied to it.

Strings on it are a bit old and it's set up for a gauge I can't readily get: 10-50 - naturally they have their own brand of string as well (made by D'Addario, I believe) and so I've found some in Melbourne as the shop that sold me the guitar didn't have any in stock, and ordered a couple of sets. Should be here in a few days. Have a close look at the headstock / posts - notice there are no string ends? :eep: You cut the string off to the right length, poke it into the post, then wind. Neat. Or you can do it the traditional way if you like, but those crafty Germans have been solving the world's problems again... :cool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Armistice

Re: New guitar day...

Post by Armistice »

Ok - so some tones. I didn't spend long on this, just found 4 reasonable profiles on the Kemper - they're all dripping with reverb and delay (which I normally remove for recording) and I spent zero time on EQ and gain settings, so straight out of the box. All by the same guy, who does pretty good stuff - you'd be amazed how many profiles are just unusable (for me, anyway)

I've gone from neck pickup (P90) to both pickups (some "special wiring" according to the blurb - sounds a bit out of phasey and apparently they bleed off the bass from the neck pick up a bit as well) to bridge pickup (humbucker) in each of the four profiles and so you'll hear when I do the switching, I'm sure.

The middle position I don't think I'll have much use for in clean mode but it gets much better with a bit of gain.

So the four profiles are, in order, Fender Super Reverb with a bit of gain, Fender Super Reverb clean, Egnator Rebel 30, and Marshall 1987 JMP (I assume you'll know what that is, I'm not up on my Marshall models.)

I struck an E chord right at the end to check the tuning because of the whammy bar action - it's out, but the strings are pretty old, so hoping when I get new ones on it'll be a bit better - that sort of being the point of the thing.
Duesenberg.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Nice.

Take a shot of the back arch for me.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Here you go @muttley ...

Actually has a really nice bursty grainy thing on the back - especially in the sunlight, not that you'd ever see it.
20210921_165136_resized.jpg
20210921_165119_resized.jpg
20210921_165100_resized.jpg
rayc

Post by rayc »

Nice looking thing...nice sounding too...Marshall and bridge seem to be made for each other.
Congratulations...
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Aww, wish you got the pink, but that back is BEAUTIFUL. Great looking guitar.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

That's a beauty. Congrats. Normally I'd walk right by these guitars but since your last thread I was on the lookout for them while I was in Chicago and found one at Chicago Music Exchange. Actually, three of them. I played one and it was really really nicely done. I loved the vibrato. Fantastic guitar. I didn't notice tuning problems but I also didn't spend too long with it. But the build seemed legit. Very nice guitar, so well done!
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armi - that's a beautiful looking guitar, mate! Almost makes me want one myself!

What's the case like?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:10 am Armi - that's a beautiful looking guitar, mate! Almost makes me want one myself!

What's the case like?
Case is very sturdy and a snug fit. Plus you don't have to take the whammy bar off. It's really heavy. And has a canvas sort of cover rather than your standard tolex style covering.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:52 am That's a beauty. Congrats. Normally I'd walk right by these guitars but since your last thread I was on the lookout for them while I was in Chicago and found one at Chicago Music Exchange. Actually, three of them. I played one and it was really really nicely done. I loved the vibrato. Fantastic guitar. I didn't notice tuning problems but I also didn't spend too long with it. But the build seemed legit. Very nice guitar, so well done!
Thanks. Yeah, when I actually played it I thought it felt solid. Sure when I get some new strings on it and it readjusts to life outside an airconditioned guitar shop any tuning issues will disappear.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:43 am Aww, wish you got the pink, but that back is BEAUTIFUL. Great looking guitar.
For another 80 minutes driving with zero guarantee that I could beat them down to anywhere near the price of this one, I'm OK with blue. :wink:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:26 am Nice looking thing...nice sounding too...Marshall and bridge seem to be made for each other.
Congratulations...
Yeah, I'm sure I'll get more usable tones once I dig into EQ and gain etc. but I was pretty impressed with the last couple of profiles without having to do anything much. It's always going to sound good clean with the vibrato, slow playing and lots of spacey effects, of course. Cheers.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

More the stuff I imagine I'll be doing on it...

Neck pickup onto a profile I'd set up for a strat, but wth a bit less gain as the pickup outputs seem a bit hotter than my strat. It's an Egnator 30 profile.
Duesenberg2.mp3
I"ll turn this into something at some stage. Just some noodling this morning.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

She's a beauty @Armistice ! Sounds great as well. I really like the smooth trem sound on it, it's similar in effect to my old Jazzmaster (although the JM is a bitey mean monster when it's not on the "mud" circuit).

A semi-hollow is pretty much the last guitar on my wish list (other than a baritone. And a 12-string. And something with P90s. And...and...and...). There's just something about them that I really like.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Good toans. I need to get a guitar amp. The Super Champ x2 is on my radar.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:37 pm She's a beauty @Armistice ! Sounds great as well. I really like the smooth trem sound on it, it's similar in effect to my old Jazzmaster (although the JM is a bitey mean monster when it's not on the "mud" circuit).

A semi-hollow is pretty much the last guitar on my wish list (other than a baritone. And a 12-string. And something with P90s. And...and...and...). There's just something about them that I really like.
So get one of these - semi hollow and P90 and cross 2 off at once... 😉
Ausrock

Post by Ausrock »

Looks nice Armi, I particularly like the back colour. Not really my kettle of fish but nice just the same.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

That's gorgeous man!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

OH man that is friggin beauty @Armistice !!!! You did great. I really love that Art Deco look to it actually and the color is top shelf too. Nice match to my shitty home made Tele.

Can't wait to hear what you do with it!
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Looky what popped up on my local Craigslist...

https://houston.craigslist.org/msg/d/sp ... 20249.html
Rebel Yell