Any mandolin players here?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Ausrock

Any mandolin players here?

Post by Ausrock »

I've been resisting scratching the itch to buy (and attempt to learn) a mandolin :k:

Is there anyone here that can give me some advice and/or suggestions before I make a decision.

:cool:
Armistice

Re: Any mandolin players here?

Post by Armistice »

I have a mate who dabbles... Anything in particular you our want to know?
rayc

Post by rayc »

You may as well get one with a pick up...they are little beasts to mic properly...oh, restringing is a mystery...I keep breaking the same string.
Cheers
rayc
Ausrock

Post by Ausrock »

Thanks for responding but as of an hour ago I've got it sorted........a Barnes and Mullins BM700 Piercy model is now waiting for me to collect from https://www.musoscorner.com.au/barnes-m ... y-mandolin.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Nice, I prefer the sound of the oval soundhole to the f-hole archtop mandolins.đź‘Ť
Ausrock

Post by Ausrock »

Well here it is. As with so much other stuff it's from China but the build quality seems pretty good, sold spruce top, solid maple back and sides......considering it's price point I suspect the top and back are "pressed", not carved but for and old beginner it will do.

Mutt......there's a thin plastic(ish) film under the bridge which I assume should be removed to create a timber to timber contact, probably there to protect the finish during final assembly.

Speaking of carved tops I have AAA sitka spruce wedges glued up for an archtop build, bought them from Stewmac about ten years ago, only got as far as the glue stage when the work factory burnt down and shit hit the fan as we tried to recover over the next number of years.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

My Hofner came with that plastic, too. I think it’s standard with all bridges of that type. Can’t wait to hear you play it!
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Ausrock

Post by Ausrock »

CrowsofFritz wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:27 am Can’t wait to hear you play it!
Crows, this is the first time I've ever touched a mando, I've got to overcome 59 years of average guitar playing before I make any acceptable noises on it :facepalm:

CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Ausrock wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:43 am
CrowsofFritz wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:27 am Can’t wait to hear you play it!
Crows, this is the first time I've ever touched a mando, I've got to overcome 59 years of average guitar playing before I make any acceptable noises on it :facepalm:

I just saw a guy on HR playing freaking Bach after only 4 months of practice on the mandolin. You’ve got this! :guitarhero:
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ahh snap. Im in too late.

I would have suggested an Eastwood Mandocaster. Those things are so cool. But your new toy looks pretty cool man.
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Good luck with your new machine there Aus.

Have to say, all that scrolling doesn't really work for me as a design aesthetic. Would look nice hanging on the wall of a French Patisserie next to the cinnamon scroll display. :biggrin:

Whenever I ask my mate how you tune it he says "It's the same as a violin..." to which there's an obvious follow up question which I never ask. He doesn't play the violin, either, so that bit of information isn't much use to either of us. Is it fourths? What's the bottom (pitch) string tuned to?
Ausrock

Post by Ausrock »

GDAE is standard tuning but there's alternates to explore.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Ausrock wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:17 am Well here it is. As with so much other stuff it's from China but the build quality seems pretty good, sold spruce top, solid maple back and sides......considering it's price point I suspect the top and back are "pressed", not carved but for and old beginner it will do.

Mutt......there's a thin plastic(ish) film under the bridge which I assume should be removed to create a timber to timber contact, probably there to protect the finish during final assembly.

Speaking of carved tops I have AAA sitka spruce wedges glued up for an archtop build, bought them from Stewmac about ten years ago, only got as far as the glue stage when the work factory burnt down and shit hit the fan as we tried to recover over the next number of years.

The top and back are likely roughed out on a CNC or duplicarver and then finished up with a palm sander. One way to be certain is to stick a pen camera inside and check for tool marks. Pressed tops are actually pretty rare except for laminated.

Yeh, the plastic film is there to protect the finish. You need to set the intonation before removing it. Once you have established the correct position for the bridge mark it with a piece of masking or painters tape and remove the plastic then remove the tape.

You need to get onto that carved top the glue line should be dry by now. :coolstorybro:
Ausrock

Post by Ausrock »

I've had to do an about face on the mando.

Unfortunately, due to our "lock down" I couldn't try before buying in store, so was hoping that it would be more suitable as I deal with (physical) health probs......wasn't to be. Like my guitars, the sensations I felt were akin to pressing a knife blade into my fingers. Thankfully we've had a great relationship with the store owner for many, many years so returning it shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah Mutt, the glue should be dry and the timber aging nicely. :smiles: There's a couple of house projects to deal with before I go back to the archtop but don't be surprised if I try and pick your brain one of these light years. :wink:

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

……….
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I can, sort of, play single, (well, you know what I mean), stringed stuff on my mandolin but my finger tips are way too fat for chords.
Cheers
rayc