Mic screw bracket things

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
JD01

Mic screw bracket things

Post by JD01 »

What are these things called? I need to buy a couple
20210916_184103.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Armistice

Re: Mic screw bracket things

Post by Armistice »

Which bit?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:02 amWhich bit?
The denim thing with human flesh inside it...

The black bracket you wazzock! I don't know what they're called so I don't know what to look for.
Farview

Post by Farview »

Looks like a shock mount for a specific mic. Shure makes something like that for sm57-58s and sm81s.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Farview wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:07 am Looks like a shock mount for a specific mic. Shure makes something like that for sm57-58s and sm81s.
That was my first impulse, but I don't know if that would be right since there's no shock-absorption in there.

You're probably right that JD'll probably want to look for the mic specific... something

Condenser mic clip?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, I've tried googling a few things. No dice
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

What mic is that for?

I'd start with:
Mic clip
Mic mount
suspension mount
hard mount
shock mount

Paired with the brand/model and see what comes up. Hopefully casting a wide net will allow you to hone in on it.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:57 pm What mic is that for?

I'd start with:
Mic clip
Mic mount
suspension mount
hard mount
shock mount

Paired with the brand/model and see what comes up. Hopefully casting a wide net will allow you to hone in on it.
This.

Whatever you do do not ask twitter.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:57 pm What mic is that for?

I'd start with:
Mic clip
Mic mount
suspension mount
hard mount
shock mount

Hard mount. That's a term I haven't tried! Cheers.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Yeah, mic mounts are kind of a racket. I got the ones for my Fatheads directly from Cascade and they were like $45 each for basic suspension mounts.

I think Neuman sells one for their premium mics that's like $350 or something ridiculous like that.

I did find a US retailer selling that same ADK clip for $20 USD. You might scour Amazon and Reverb to see if anybody is selling it for a more reasonable price in your neck of the woods. 51 Pounds does seem pretty excessive for a simple mount like that!

I see that that specific mount has threads on it, like it's made for a couple of specific microphones (the Area 51 and A6 from Audio DeutchKraft/ADK). I'm not sure that there'd be any guarantee that it'd fit the threads on other mics.

JD01

Post by JD01 »

Thats the one. Its unfortunately unavailable... however, I'm sure focusrite aren't making bespoke mounts. It will have come off a shelf somewhere.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Why does it need a specific mount? It won't fit into a standard clip mount I assume?
rayc

Post by rayc »

I had problems with one of those a year or so ago. I solved the problem buying a spring mount thing for about 25% of the asking price of the replacement...works better even.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:12 pm Why does it need a specific mount? It won't fit into a standard clip mount I assume?
Yeah, you actually screw the mic onto the circular bit.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

They are pretty standard for that certain build of condenser mics.

I think this would work.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ap=y&smp=y

I think I have a few laying around from cheaper condensers that I have purchased, not sure how much it would cost to ship them to you though.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah. That looks like the one $15 dollars. I wonder if they'd post it.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/284118399383

Ah, I see how it works now... I don't have mics that work that way. Both my LDCs sit in a shockmounty thing with rubber band suspender frame...

If it was the jeans, I could have helped you. You should go for a darker colour, now that you're older ... :lollers:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:14 am https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/284118399383

Ah, I see how it works now... I don't have mics that work that way. Both my LDCs sit in a shockmounty thing with rubber band suspender frame...

If it was the jeans, I could have helped you. You should go for a darker colour, now that you're older ... :lollers:
Thats it too. Just need one in the UK now.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:56 am
Armistice wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:12 pm Why does it need a specific mount? It won't fit into a standard clip mount I assume?
Yeah, you actually screw the mic onto the circular bit.
do you?
I have like seven LDC mics that use a mount like that ..... all of them are threaded but there's a collar that goes in from below the mount and that's what the mic screws into clamping it to the mount .... on none of them does the mic itself screw into the mount.
Now the collar itself varies and is mic specific although a few of mine will work for a couple of mics but the threaded part of that mount is meant for a matching collar that is what actually screws to and clamps the mic

And in fact, looking at the pic of the expensive one, you can clearly see the knurled part of the collar below the large hole the mic goes thru .... that's what screws into the mount ..... you'd unscrew that put the mic in place and when you slip the collar on it screws to the mic holding it in place.
A mount for a MXL LDC might work ..... what mic are you needing this for?