Vocal Comps.

Not just a notorious prison, but the forum to learn everything you need to know about getting your vocal tracks down, from a whisper to a scream, and all stops in-between.
Greg_L

Re: Vocal Comps.

Post by Greg_L »

I had to comp some guitar leads just last night. I'm recording one of my bands and it was the other guitar player's turn to track one of his rare lead breaks. I'm usually the "lead" guitarist....a title I'm not thrilled with, but it applies. This other guy sings and plays rhythm.

This particular song is pretty mid-tempo. Not slow but not crazy fast, and his solo is, for lack of a better way to describe it, a bluesy moody little lead over a slower breakdown in the song. Then the song picks back up and my dumb Chuck Berry falling down stairs solo takes off from there.

Anyway, the tracking session just highlighted some shit I'm always banging on about - know your parts. I've been telling him for weeks..."write your solo so you know how to play it without thinking about it". And to his credit I think he did. He tried. He definitely did some preparation. He just got stiff and froze when the red light came on. We had to do four or five takes for this pretty simple solo and I had to cut-and-paste a few pieces from other takes into what is the final main take. This is not my preferred method of doing things. But now that it's final and "on tape" he can just play it the way it's recorded and be good with it. I find it's always easier for anyone to play parts after they've recorded them. It's like doing a cover of your own song.

It also highlighted to me how bad ass we are that recording doesn't freak us out. The other guys were like "I hate recording". And I'm all "WTF why? It's so easy. You're just playing your parts. This is your lasting statement." And I think that last part is why guys that mostly play live hate recording. They can hide when they're playing live. Little nuances and timing slips and flubs can kind of blend in when the full band is going. When you're tracking in a room with everyone watching it can be nervy for people that aren't used to it. You are naked. We can all hear every little thing that's wrong. Playing live is supposed to make you better. I'd argue it's a crutch for some people. They're gonna shit uncontrollably when it's my turn. They're about to see 100000% recording preparation and confidence on full display. I'm gonna rub it right in their faces too. :lollers2: :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:52 am They're gonna shit uncontrollably when it's my turn. They're about to see 100000% recording preparation and confidence on full display. I'm gonna rub it right in their faces too. :lollers2: :lollers2:
haha, excellent. How you feeling right now? Can you strap on a guitar yet?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:19 am
haha, excellent. How you feeling right now? Can you strap on a guitar yet?
Not too bad thanks. I'm out of the sling and I can play sitting down but I haven't tried wearing a guitar yet. I think I could but there's no need to push it yet.
Rebel Yell
Farview

Post by Farview »

I use comping when I'm having a hard time writing guitar solos and drum fills. If I'm just out of ideas, I will loop the section and just improvise freely. Once I'm done, I will listen to what I've done in sections and just piece something together.

Sometime I learn it and record it playing it through, if the edits are obvious. I just use it as a tool to get past writers block.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:52 am They're gonna shit uncontrollably when it's my turn. They're about to see 100000% recording preparation and confidence on full display. I'm gonna rub it right in their faces too. :lollers2: :lollers2:
"Greg messed up a take, but instead of being embarrassed, he just looks bored! The madman!"
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:19 pm

"Greg messed up a take, but instead of being embarrassed, he just looks bored! The madman!"
Lol. My advantage is that I know messing up a take is not the end of the world. It doesn't get me all flustered. Just redo it.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:25 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:19 pm

Lol. My advantage is that I know messing up a take is not the end of the world. It doesn't get me all flustered. Just redo it.
I'm in a new band with the guitarist from an old band. One of my great frustrations with him historically has been his slowness to get to new takes in ProTools. We'd be tracking, I'd mess up a take 10 seconds in and say "frig. Let's start that over". Then he'd take - like - 15 seconds to get a new take queued up. Fortunately, he seems to have found the "undo" button now.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:22 pm
I'm in a new band with the guitarist from an old band. One of my great frustrations with him historically has been his slowness to get to new takes in ProTools. We'd be tracking, I'd mess up a take 10 seconds in and say "frig. Let's start that over". Then he'd take - like - 15 seconds to get a new take queued up. Fortunately, he seems to have found the "undo" button now.
Lol n00bs.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Have you recorded yet Greg? How did it go?

Vocally I do a couple or three takes as mentioned and comp vocals but I can't get my head around the "takes" system in Reaper. It does my head in. I prepare three tracks for recording Do it once and if it's a keeper I'll move onto the retake on the next track and then the third. I listen volume automate the best bits to listen a couple of times and if that works then cut n past.
It's not likely I'll be able to do it another way with my voice...BUT I've improved in the last 12 months so the three takes is what I did with my latest track...including working out the melody as I went.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:36 am Have you recorded yet Greg? How did it go?
A little. It's going ok. I jammed some drums the other day and it took more tries than I'd normally like to get a part down, but I got it.
Vocally I do a couple or three takes as mentioned and comp vocals but I can't get my head around the "takes" system in Reaper. It does my head in. I prepare three tracks for recording Do it once and if it's a keeper I'll move onto the retake on the next track and then the third. I listen volume automate the best bits to listen a couple of times and if that works then cut n past.
It's not likely I'll be able to do it another way with my voice...BUT I've improved in the last 12 months so the three takes is what I did with my latest track...including working out the melody as I went.
That's what I do. Just use new tracks. Those take lanes are too much for me.
Rebel Yell