Les Paul Studios (again)

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Les Paul Studios (again)

Post by JD01 »

Still looking at them fairly often but for a while none caught my eye, they were always the red dyed ones made in the last 10 years... a few more slightly older ones have started popping up along with this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224565562386 ... Sw30phBqiS

It seems that they're basically worth about 700 quid all day so I'll have no trouble getting my money back out of it if I don't like it.
rayc

Re: Les Paul Studios (again)

Post by rayc »

Any guarantee it's not a Chibson? I'm very wary of ebay these days.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The people that make Chibsons don't bother with copying Studios. They usually counterfeit the higher end stuff.

I'm sure one probably exists somewhere but I've never seen a Chibson Les Paul Studio.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:39 am The people that make Chibsons don't bother with copying Studios. They usually counterfeit the higher end stuff.

I'm sure one probably exists somewhere but I've never seen a Chibson Les Paul Studio.
Yeah. Cloning a cheap, readily available, model would be an odd thing to do. I think the Les Paul studio is an itch I may need to scratch.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:38 am

Yeah. Cloning a cheap, readily available, model would be an odd thing to do. I think the Les Paul studio is an itch I may need to scratch.
I think for the same money or maybe just a touch more you could find a nice 90s Studio with an Ebony board and trapezoid inlays and original case and pickups.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:24 am
JD01 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:38 am

I think for the same money or maybe just a touch more you could find a nice 90s Studio with an Ebony board and trapezoid inlays and original case and pickups.
You think that one is a bit over priced for one that's been messed about with?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:31 am
You think that one is a bit over priced for one that's been messed about with?
No not really. If it is indeed from the 80s that's not a bad price. But it has been fiddled with and that pretty much negates any "vintage" value it might have now or in the future. Non-original case that doesn't really fit well, non-original mystery pickups, non-original tuners. And inlays don't really matter, but Les Pauls are just more Les Paul with the big inlays. And, like I said, Ebony fretboards are a very common option on a lot of Studios. You could find one in the same money ballpark that's probably better.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers, mate. Tidy advice.