Favorite beats.

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
JD01

Favorite beats.

Post by JD01 »

For years I've wanted to learn to play the beat from Scentless Apprectice by Nirvana. I've not even been able to work it out so that I could programme it.

I actually looked up the notation for it... i can't even tap it out on my thighs!

Anyone else got any cool beats they'd love to learn but just seem beyond them?
Greg_L

Re: Favorite beats.

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:48 am For years I've wanted to learn to play the beat from Scentless Apprectice by Nirvana. I've not even been able to work it out so that I could programme it.

I actually looked up the notation for it... i can't even tap it out on my thighs!

Anyone else got any cool beats they'd love to learn but just seem beyond them?
ive never heard that song. i just listened, it's pretty easy. want me to try to draw it out? its not like i can do anything else right now.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've found this.
Screenshot_20210725-133037_YouTube.jpg
Maybe you can check you agree. Just trying to tap it out to myself I'm struggling to get my head around them flam and the extra kick at the end of the last bar. Both feel messy and rushed in my brain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

lol i dont know what all those dots mean.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

The crosses are the open hat. The low dot is the kick. The medium dot is there snare.
Two medium dots close.together is the flam
JD01

Post by JD01 »

It's one of them things. From the first time i heard it I really liked it but, not being much of a drummer I just couldn't hear exactly what he was doing
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:18 am The crosses are the open hat. The low dot is the kick. The medium dot is there snare.
Two medium dots close.together is the flam
so is it the flam that throws you off? a flam is just hitting a drum with both sticks like a microsecond apart. if thats the drum notation then you should be able to draw it in midi without being able to play it.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:29 am It's one of them things. From the first time i heard it I really liked it but, not being much of a drummer I just couldn't hear exactly what he was doing
its a pretty easy beat. i bet you could do it if you just sat at an actual kit and tried it. it requires a little limb independence but not much.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Oh, I could programme it easy enough based on the notation.

When trying to tap it out myself the thing I find tricky is sticking the flam on a 16th note when doing the 8th notes on the hat.

And then the following bar doing the 16th notes on the kick with the 8th notes on the hat... I always end up doing 16th notes with my right hand and 8th notes with my foot.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:04 pm Oh, I could programme it easy enough based on the notation.

When trying to tap it out myself the thing I find tricky is sticking the flam on a 16th note when doing the 8th notes on the hat.

And then the following bar doing the 16th notes on the kick with the 8th notes on the hat... I always end up doing 16th notes with my right hand and 8th notes with my foot.
that's just basic limb independence. you could do it if you really tried it.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:15 pm
JD01 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:04 pm Oh, I could programme it easy enough based on the notation.

that's just basic limb independence. you could do it if you really tried it.
Yeah. I'm working on it. I'm hoping it'll make my beats a bit more creative.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:19 pm
Yeah. I'm working on it. I'm hoping it'll make my beats a bit more creative.
try slapping straight quarter notes with one hand and quarter and eighth note triplets with the other. its easy once you get it, but at first you have to give yourself a virtual lobotomy to get your hands working like that.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I've always wanted to learn the drums to Truckers Atlas by Modest Mouse, off of Lonesome Crowded West. I just Love that main beat. I've tried a few times to learn it by ear but I don't have the ear to pick it apart ir the dexterity to try it out.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:32 pm I've always wanted to learn the drums to Truckers Atlas by Modest Mouse, off of Lonesome Crowded West. I just Love that main beat. I've tried a few times to learn it by ear but I don't have the ear to pick it apart ir the dexterity to try it out.
See if there's notation for it or a lesson floating around on youtube. You learning it could be fun on your channel.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Scentless Apprentice Drum Intro.mp3
Well, I've managed to program it. I still can't get my hands and feet to cooperate though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:43 pm See if there's notation for it or a lesson floating around on youtube. You learning it could be fun on your channel.
I've looked a few times over the years. The only playthroughs that I've seen are years old, poor quality, and highly inaccurate :) I have yet to find notation for it, although my ability to read drum notation is pretty poor. I'll have another look to see if something new has popped up recently.
JD01 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:08 pm
Scentless Apprentice Drum Intro.mp3
Well, I've managed to program it. I still can't get my hands and feet to cooperate though.
OK now that I hear it, I think this is totally within your ability. At least there isn't too much that I hear that would be impossible if you just slow it down. For whatever reason, that beat makes sense to me in my head, so I bet that I could clumsily pick it up pretty quickly.

The one important thing I've never been able to pick up is keeping beat with the hi-hat pedal. I see/hear guys all the time that can tap along either on the beat or on the 2 & 4 with the hi-hat and it just kills me. I want to learn to do that, but apparently I have stupid legs that just can't manage it :D
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:38 pm
JD01 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:43 pm See if there's notation for it or a lesson floating around on youtube. You learning it could be fun on your channel.
I've looked a few times over the years. The only playthroughs that I've seen are years old, poor quality, and highly inaccurate :) I have yet to find notation for it, although my ability to read drum notation is pretty poor. I'll have another look to see if something new has popped up recently.
JD01 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:08 pm Scentless Apprentice Drum Intro.mp3

OK now that I hear it, I think this is totally within your ability. At least there isn't too much that I hear that would be impossible if you just slow it down. For whatever reason, that beat makes sense to me in my head, so I bet that I could clumsily pick it up pretty quickly.

The one important thing I've never been able to pick up is keeping beat with the hi-hat pedal. I see/hear guys all the time that can tap along either on the beat or on the 2 & 4 with the hi-hat and it just kills me. I want to learn to do that, but apparently I have stupid legs that just can't manage it :D
It took me ages to be able to even mentally turn a beat around in my head... to lead with a snare. I always ended up with the kick and snare together and then a lonely hi hat beat.... now there's a random bar in this where my brain is telling me that the kick is doing what the hi hat should be doing.

My best mate has gone to Ireland for three weeks... it will piss him off no end if I jump on his kit and can play this when he gets back.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I've always thought the basic beat of Radar Love was a really cool beat and probably not hard, but because I have no idea about the realities of drumming, had no real idea how it was done - all about the snare work, basically.

This girl is giving it a good go.

I actually saw a live video of Golden Earring doing an long "drum solo" version of it which ended up with the drummer Cesar standing up and turned away from the audience, beating out a rhythm on these two big flat "tom" type drums sitting vertically behind him (when he's the right way around) whilst thumping away at the kick drums using his heels. I'm not much for drum solos, but that was pretty cool to see.

Found it... to save you whole 12 minute extravaganza the video starts at the drum solo... which goes for about 2 minutes. Worth a look. Not bad for a 67 year old.

vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Basically any drum beat except for a basic boots-n-cats-n or punk/polka kick snare beat is cool but beyond me.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Was listening to the original scentless apprentice beat earlier.
The kick sound is massive. There's also some weird reverb on the snare that sounds cool and appears to come out of the right channel.