Flangers

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: Flangers

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:50 pm
JD01 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:20 pm
I've got the Flashback2. I don't know if yours has the "crystals" delay setting. Its really weird, particularly with the expression pedal.
mine dont have that shit.
From memory all of the other settings are fairly normal versions of other delays. Thats the only totally bonkers one.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

set phasers to stun.

I'll see myself out. I've no stake in this thread.
:happytrees:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

About all I have to add here is that I hate my Boss BF3 (the purple one with the "ultra" mode and gate/pan). I never got a sound out of it that I liked, and it has been gathering dust for at least 15 years now.

It looks like the resale is incredible for these things...I should probably post it on Reverb and get more than what I paid out of it!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I had a Boss one as a youngster but I never really got on with flangers...

Oh, OK, just checked upstairs and one of only two pedals that made it up with me (because I didn't particularly care if I lost / damaged them) is a Digitech Nautilus which I seem to own for reasons that now escape me - apparently it's a chorus/flanger.

Looks like I could be getting my flange on again. :lollers:

Also, the tiny amp thread made me realise I can have a downstairs amp and an upstairs amp... must lug the Vox mini stack downstairs and love the neighbours with it. :lollers:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:47 pm About all I have to add here is that I hate my Boss BF3 (the purple one with the "ultra" mode and gate/pan). I never got a sound out of it that I liked, and it has been gathering dust for at least 15 years now.

It looks like the resale is incredible for these things...I should probably post it on Reverb and get more than what I paid out of it!
thats the one i have right now. id call it dogshit but i love dogs. its just shit.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:03 pm thats the one i have right now. id call it dogshit but i love dogs. its just shit.
LOL yeah, shit is about what I think of it too. But these things are going for about $100 used on Reverb now, so it sounds like this would be a good time to get rid of ours!
rayc

Post by rayc »

I think I've half done this before.
I have three multi FX units...one's a Yamaha FX500 and it has lots of Flanger presets but they all have distortion as part of the patch and the FX500 digital distortion is 100% unusable.
The 2nd is a Roland Disklab DAW - they didn't have distortion as part of the patch.
The third is a Zoom/Boss R16 BUT it's set up as my control surface and I don't want to dick around with it as it seems to be doing that job well.
In place of distortion I used an Australian Big Muff clone from the 90s.
They're all a bit fizzy as it's Muff to unit to interface - someone was sleeping in the house so had to do a headphone horror show .
Flanger dig Yamaha & Roland.mp3
The 1st half is the Yamaha & the 2nd the Roland.
I summed the outputs to mono.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:38 am

LOL yeah, shit is about what I think of it too. But these things are going for about $100 used on Reverb now, so it sounds like this would be a good time to get rid of ours!
i paid i think 25 bucks for mine so thats a good idea.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:19 am I think I've half done this before.
I have three multi FX units...one's a Yamaha FX500 and it has lots of Flanger presets but they all have distortion as part of the patch and the FX500 digital distortion is 100% unusable.
The 2nd is a Roland Disklab DAW - they didn't have distortion as part of the patch.
The third is a Zoom/Boss R16 BUT it's set up as my control surface and I don't want to dick around with it as it seems to be doing that job well.
In place of distortion I used an Australian Big Muff clone from the 90s.
They're all a bit fizzy as it's Muff to unit to interface - someone was sleeping in the house so had to do a headphone horror show .
Flanger dig Yamaha & Roland.mp3
The 1st half is the Yamaha & the 2nd the Roland.
I summed the outputs to mono.
some of those are probably usable. i've heard worse for sure.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Well I got the Joyo the very next dy after ordering it.

Really haven't had a chance to check it out other than just plug it in ..... I WILL put some flanger clips up next week when I get a day off but immediate reaction is 'meh'
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just bought the Arion Stereo Flanger that I had as a kid off eBay.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

It arrived
20210820_111832.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Tell how you like it!
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol awesome. And another JD trademark sideways pic!
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:19 am Lol awesome. And another JD trademark sideways pic!
I've no idea why it does that.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I like that mini tube screamer. I didn't know you had one of those.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

one thing I particularly like about the Ross is that you can manually flange it and leave it set at whatever point in the flange you want sorta like a cocked wah ..... you can get some really cool sounds that way
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:59 am I like that mini tube screamer. I didn't know you had one of those.
Yeah - its really good. I know the cork sniffers think they can tell the difference between a TS9 and an 808 and there might be a slight difference when you hear them back to back. But in a mix, a tubescreamer is a tubescreamer IMO. My basic approach for overdriven guitars is:
Left - Crunch channel, Klone and Crimson
Right - Crunch channel, OCD and telecaster
Centre/lead - crunch channel, tubescreamer and usually my crimson.

I just find that the mid-bump on the Tubescreamer means it really cuts through without it having to be turned up louder than everything else.

I'm not always rigid with what I do either side with my rhythms, but I find that always having a different combination of guitar and drive pedal across the mix sounds better/fuller. Sometimes I swap out my i5 for an SM57 too.

I did a really good heavy sound once like this:
Left 100% - Crimson, Klone, Crunch, i5
Left 75% - Tele, Klone, Crunch, SM57
Right 75% - Crimson, OCD, crunch, SM57
Right 100% - Tele, OCD, crunch i5

I found even the extra upper mid from the SM57 meant I could turn the inner guitars down a fair bit and they just filled things out. It sounded heavy but without sounding awash with heaps of gain. Just a really nice thick sound.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I think I generally prefer the Tube Screamer for leads. But if I had to leave on one all the time I'd use my SD-1.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:03 am I think I generally prefer the Tube Screamer for leads. But if I had to leave on one all the time I'd use my SD-1.
I generally quite liked my SD-1 too. I got rid of it after I got the H&K. I just found that the SD-1 sounded really "generic", maybe characterless, dull, I don't know. But the H&K is a pretty generic sounding amp. Its good, but its not like you hear it and go "That's a H&K" like you would with a Mesa, Marshall or Orange. So I like that the Klone and OCD impart a bit of character.