Tiny Amp

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: Tiny Amp

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:25 pm

I’d argue the style would be different far more than the tone would be. That’s usually what people mean. The style is different, and yes, the style contributes to the overall sound immensely, but it’s not toan.
the playing style affects the tone. how you finger lead notes or chord shapes makes an amp react a certain way. that wont turn a fender amp into a marshall, but through the same amp different people will sound different even if they play the same thing.
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:34 pm
CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:25 pm

I’d argue the style would be different far more than the tone would be. That’s usually what people mean. The style is different, and yes, the style contributes to the overall sound immensely, but it’s not toan.
the playing style affects the tone. how you finger lead notes or chord shapes makes an amp react a certain way. that wont turn a fender amp into a marshall, but through the same amp different people will sound different even if they play the same thing.
Oh, I’m not saying it doesn’t affect tone at all. I’m just saying that “the tone is in the fingers” doesn’t account for the majority of the tone.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:40 pm

Oh, I’m not saying it doesn’t affect tone at all. I’m just saying that “the tone is in the fingers” doesn’t account for the majority of the tone.
ive always assumed "tone is in the fingers" to mean that a good player will sound good no matter what gear theyre using. a good player will sound good on a cheap guitar and junk amp because he knows what hes doing.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:01 pm
CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:40 pm

ive always assumed "tone is in the fingers" to mean that a good player will sound good no matter what gear theyre using. a good player will sound good on a cheap guitar and junk amp because he knows what hes doing.
I can get pretty much anything to work for the most part .... hell, I do some gigs with my MG-15 and it sorta sounds like I do on anything else so knowing the sound you're after and how to set amps to get there is definitely a big part of it.

And I know a few gitists whose tone is horrid regardless of amp.
A local metal guy sat in on my Mesa Blue Angel and immediately made it sound buzzy and tinny like that metal fuzz often sounds and I would have bet the Blue Angel couldn't sound that wy.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Think I've decided in the Orange.
I've heard tone clips and I think it sounds pretty sweet clean. Overdriven it sounds like an Orange.
I really don't want to have small to large headphone adaptor hanging out of the back which the BlueJay has. And I really don't want a Bluetooth aerial.

If I like it, I'll probably get a few cheap pedals to go with it and turn it into a self contained board rig.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Hope you have fun with it! Show us some toans when you get it.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:58 pm Think I've decided in the Orange.
I've heard tone clips and I think it sounds pretty sweet clean. Overdriven it sounds like an Orange.
I really don't want to have small to large headphone adaptor hanging out of the back which the BlueJay has. And I really don't want a Bluetooth aerial.

If I like it, I'll probably get a few cheap pedals to go with it and turn it into a self contained board rig.
That's prolly a good choice.
I sold my Tiny Terror about 6 months ago and regret it because only an Orange does what an Orange does ...... there's a certain type of crunch only they get and even though i rarely used it .... I know there'll be a time when I wish I had it available.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:58 pm Think I've decided in the Orange.

Awesome man!! Can't wait to hear what you can do with that.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:46 pm
A local metal guy
thats all you had to say.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

On the tone & fingers thing...my biggest problem is I don't know when I have good tone. I have to cross reference and seek confirmation. It's my biggest issue when recording. It's also why i keep a record of the settings when it's deemed right.
That's because I'm not a good player and I don't have a real ear for the thing.
Good luck with the Orange James.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ordered it... lets see how good the Anderton's service is... @CrowsofFritz you generally expect about 3 months for gear to arrive don't you?
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:25 am Ordered it... lets see how good the Anderton's service is... @CrowsofFritz you generally expect about 3 months for gear to arrive don't you?
Lol I got the EQ in three days. The compressor was just on back order. So I got a different compressor that wasn’t on back order. Was the amp in stock?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:03 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:25 am Ordered it... lets see how good the Anderton's service is... @CrowsofFritz you generally expect about 3 months for gear to arrive don't you?
Lol I got the EQ in three days. The compressor was just on back order. So I got a different compressor that wasn’t on back order. Was the amp in stock?
Yeah - amp, 4 packs of strings, an extra clip on tuner and a few cables. All in stock.
Anderton's say that I'll have it tomorrow.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:16 am
CrowsofFritz wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:03 am

Yeah - amp, 4 packs of strings, an extra clip on tuner and a few cables. All in stock.
Anderton's say that I'll have it tomorrow.
You lucky brits and your small land mass! :mad3:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Just realized one day shipping is a thing and that I’m an idiot.

But I do wonder. How fast are shipping times to you all given the size of your country?
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:37 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:33 pm that's not really true anymore.
there are now even hi-end class D stereophile-level amps and that requires good sound reproduction.
I have a couple of EV powered PA cabs and they sound great.
well there ya go. i dont know much about class d cuz it hasnt really trickled into the guitar amp world yet.
I'm supposed to be building a setup with a class D amp. I should really finish the project and let y'all hear it.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:41 am Just realized one day shipping is a thing and that I’m an idiot.

But I do wonder. How fast are shipping times to you all given the size of your country?
I didn't ask for anything unusual next day is pretty normal for in stock items unless you're really going from end to end of the country... and I mean like Scotland to southern england.

Amazon even do same day.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:09 am
CrowsofFritz wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:41 am Just realized one day shipping is a thing and that I’m an idiot.

I didn't ask for anything unusual next day is pretty normal for in stock items unless you're really going from end to end of the country... and I mean like Scotland to southern england.

Amazon even do same day.
Normal for countries that have a foot print only slightly larger than the county i live in plus the one that neighbors me to the north

fastest i get for shipping here on just about anything is about 3 days. And i bloody pay for it. Amazon sometimes offers me free 3 day shipping but i have ot fill a minimum order from the same seller most times and i just just can't justify greasing bezo's pocket like that.

On top of that i watched an absolutely nauseating episode of marketplace (in the vid below) on Amazons carbon footprint and environmental impact due to return management, cardboard waste etc etc etc. This may in fact only be a Canadian / North American problem but it's just fucking gross. The less money i have to throw at Amazon the better.

don't get me wrong, I'm not here preaching, i totally understand Amazon is an unstoppable beast right now and it is the first stop for a majority of most consumers. I don't judge anyone who does what they think is right for their budgets and lifestyles. I just can't get behind how they run their operations. espically not after watching that. . .

and seeing this :lollers2: :

Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:11 pm Image
Hey, don't some people call him the Space Cowboy?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:24 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:11 pm Image
Hey, don't some people call him the Space Cowboy?
:lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2:

Sometimes mistaken for the gangster of love as well.