INTERFACE PROBLEM.

General recording topics.
CeeBee

Re: INTERFACE PROBLEM.

Post by CeeBee »

Have you tried updating your usb drivers?
Cheers
Chris
my music
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Just read that you tried it with a laptop so a GPU doesn’t matter. I doubt this is a computer issue, then. Did you say you didn’t have this problem at your old place?
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Oh no. 😟
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Damn, Ray. Sorry to hear that these troubles continue. There are few things more frustrating than computer-related shit that refuses to work anything less than flawlessly.

So now we've got two problems:
- The SSL causing Reaper to hang
- The still-present noise issue

For the noise issue, at least we've ruled out that it's caused by the interface (or at least made that highly unlikely), since now 2 interfaces are recreating the issue. I think that we're down to two possible causes, as far as I can guess: the computer, or the power in the house. Or, I guess maybe something environmental like EMI. I'll have to think about this one a bit...

But as far as the SSL causing Reaper to hang, that sounds like a software issue to me. I don't see that there are separate 32/64 bit drivers, so a mismatch wouldn't be the issue. I don't see any firmware updates available from SSL either. So as far as updatable software things go, I'd have to go with the usual: Windows updates, BIOS updates, chipset driver updates. None of those are particularly fun things to tangle with, especially the BIOS update. But in times like these, that's usually what I try first. Your computer's manufacturer website should have links to BIOS and driver updates, if you can track down the exact model on their site. I just wouldn't try those things if there is even a remote chance of losing power in the middle of it. So don't attempt to update the BIOS or chipset drivers during a thunderstorm or an earthquake or anything :)

Oh, first make sure that there aren't any pending Windows updates that have downloaded but not installed yet: right-click the Windows button, hover over "Shut Down or Sign Out" and see if any of the options mention things like "Update and Shut Down" or "Update and Restart". Win10 has always been flaky for me when there's an update pending install.

Beyond that, updating various device drivers or attempting to disable various devices in Device Manager would be my next thing to try. Maybe there's some device that's causing this ruckus, like the Wi-Fi adapter, Bluetooth receiver, or GPU (although be careful disabling that if your CPU doesn't have integrated graphics), or some other peripheral that may be plugged in, like a wireless mouse or keyboard.
rayc

Post by rayc »

CeeBee wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:19 am Have you tried updating your usb drivers?
Hi Chris, I tried that today but there's no new driver for W10 AMD available at present.Thanks for the suggestion.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:26 am Just read that you tried it with a laptop so a GPU doesn’t matter. I doubt this is a computer issue, then. Did you say you didn’t have this problem at your old place?
Yep, not in NSW.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:23 pmOh no. 😟
Oh, yes.How are things David?
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:36 pm Damn, Ray. Sorry to hear that these troubles continue. There are few things more frustrating than computer-related shit that refuses to work anything less than flawlessly.

So now we've got two problems:
- The SSL causing Reaper to hang
- The still-present noise issue

For the noise issue, at least we've ruled out that it's caused by the interface (or at least made that highly unlikely), since now 2 interfaces are recreating the issue. I think that we're down to two possible causes, as far as I can guess: the computer, or the power in the house. Or, I guess maybe something environmental like EMI. I'll have to think about this one a bit...

But as far as the SSL causing Reaper to hang, that sounds like a software issue to me. I don't see that there are separate 32/64 bit drivers, so a mismatch wouldn't be the issue. I don't see any firmware updates available from SSL either. So as far as updatable software things go, I'd have to go with the usual: Windows updates, BIOS updates, chipset driver updates. None of those are particularly fun things to tangle with, especially the BIOS update. But in times like these, that's usually what I try first. Your computer's manufacturer website should have links to BIOS and driver updates, if you can track down the exact model on their site. I just wouldn't try those things if there is even a remote chance of losing power in the middle of it. So don't attempt to update the BIOS or chipset drivers during a thunderstorm or an earthquake or anything :)

Oh, first make sure that there aren't any pending Windows updates that have downloaded but not installed yet: right-click the Windows button, hover over "Shut Down or Sign Out" and see if any of the options mention things like "Update and Shut Down" or "Update and Restart". Win10 has always been flaky for me when there's an update pending install.

Beyond that, updating various device drivers or attempting to disable various devices in Device Manager would be my next thing to try. Maybe there's some device that's causing this ruckus, like the Wi-Fi adapter, Bluetooth receiver, or GPU (although be careful disabling that if your CPU doesn't have integrated graphics), or some other peripheral that may be plugged in, like a wireless mouse or keyboard.
Thanks Tad,
My machine is downstairs and off line but I can transfer things via ext. drive or take it upstairs and hook it into the net.I thought dirty power as this building was a "self build" but the power conditioner I bought made no difference EMI is possible...my studio is down stairs, is a brick built rectangular prism with cheap tracklights and is about 60% underground.
Apart from interface etc drivers there hasn't been a general update for a couple oy years.
The SSL is pretty good, I tried the 4K button on vocals today and it seemed okay nothing exciting but they are my vocals.I do have to buy an iLok to get the benefit of the free software...bummer I could do a desktop iLok but would have to connect the machine to the internet but that may now be doable if I need to update drivers.Cheers for the time and deep thought.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:35 am
Armistice wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:23 pmOh no. 😟
Oh, yes.How are things David?
Sweating on my gear turning up unharmed early next week. 😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:34 am
CrowsofFritz wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:26 am Just read that you tried it with a laptop so a GPU doesn’t matter. I doubt this is a computer issue, then. Did you say you didn’t have this problem at your old place?
Yep, not in NSW.
It does point to something in to do with the house power, doesn't it? But you tried a power conditioner, didn't you?

How are you getting on with the neighbours? Can you cart it all next door and plug in, just to further eliminate that possibility?
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:23 am
rayc wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:34 am Yep, not in NSW.
It does point to something in to do with the house power, doesn't it? But you tried a power conditioner, didn't you?
How are you getting on with the neighbours? Can you cart it all next door and plug in, just to further eliminate that possibility?
David,
Yes, I bought a conditioner to no avail.
The neighbours - one is solo, very quiet and converses with Kim not me and on the other side he's not the sort you'd want to owe a favour to. He complained about the fruit trees along the fence line causing him ongoing problems with his retaining wall and drainage. We had them removed in the spirit of new, good neighbourliness etc. After the arborists were done I politely asked if he was happier now his wish had been granted.He denied having complained about the trees.
Weird chap, always wants a chat and talks of people from his past and present by name and no context.
I did, a couple of weeks back, ask the fellow, when cornered for a chat,if the local power supply was clean and explained why but he didn't seem to understand.
We are getting some renovations done this year so I'll get one of the on site sparkys to check the power. OR I'll call someone in sooner if the frustration levels get too high.
I suppose I could take a laptop and interface into the street! There's no passing traffic!
1st world problems.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:59 am
Armistice wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:23 am
David,
Yes, I bought a conditioner to no avail.
The neighbours - one is solo, very quiet and converses with Kim not me and on the other side he's not the sort you'd want to owe a favour to. He complained about the fruit trees along the fence line causing him ongoing problems with his retaining wall and drainage. We had them removed in the spirit of new, good neighbourliness etc. After the arborists were done I politely asked if he was happier now his wish had been granted.He denied having complained about the trees.
Weird chap, always wants a chat and talks of people from his past and present by name and no context.
I did, a couple of weeks back, ask the fellow, when cornered for a chat,if the local power supply was clean and explained why but he didn't seem to understand.
We are getting some renovations done this year so I'll get one of the on site sparkys to check the power. OR I'll call someone in sooner if the frustration levels get too high.
I suppose I could take a laptop and interface into the street! There's no passing traffic!
1st world problems.
This reminds me of the video where a guitarist is trying to find the source of the click in his amps and tried everything. Every outlet, portable amps, unplugging appliances. He eventually took his portable amp outside and used it as a sort of detector. It got louder and louder the closer he got to the cul de sac green box, and correctly figured that was the problem.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I'm back with an update.

I turned the lights off,
I put Ferrite beads on both ends of each related cable into or out of the interface and computer,
I have the power conditioner set & running properly,
I have the gain at noon on the preamp,
I created a Faraday Cage for the interface, (as best could be expected given cables in n out ), using a foiled lined freezer bag,
I turned the monitor screen off,
AND
I used a "terminated" XLR cable.

Net result a TINY drop in the level of the problem.
I tried to filter the noise out using ReaFir...
it takes a block at -108dB to filter out the sub hump and a block at -102dB to do the same for the peaks.
Those dB levels are according to ReaFir.

With those settings there's quite a bit of "noise" between the hump & peak when the line & HiZ buttons are engaged and quite a bit more when the 4K button is brought in...all expected as a matter of signal increase and colour (interesting to "SEE" the colour of the Heritage 4K thing...a low mid through to upper mid curve and harmonics after the peak). basically some EQ and distortion.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Is it recordable with the level of noise you’re getting?
rayc

Post by rayc »

I don't know. I don't think I can hear it but it would require using a higher sampling rate and oversampling in some plug ins to prevent aliasing etc.
Have you heard a related problem with the tracks I've posted in the last few months?
Here's some images and a pair of comparison tracks.
bass in ReaEQ before ReaFir.png
bass in ReaFir.png
bass in ReaEQ post ReaFir.png
Here's a track with the problem intact...
KATYASKAZAZhzC.mp3
AND here it is with the problem filtered out, more or less, with ReaFir...
KATYASKAZAZhzCfiltered.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc