Water sucks

General recording topics.
rayc

Re: Water sucks

Post by rayc »

BUMMER! Resignation in the face of reality is the reasonable response.
Good luck.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

The world is telling you to move. Alas you'll have to solve the problem where you are before you can by the sounds of it. You're in Denver, right?

I was looking up the rainfall totals to see what had happened, and while everything is relative with what makes a big rain event, it didn't seem all that biblical - 6 inches over a couple of days - so you must really have some crap drainage going on there. Hopefully you can get it sorted and move on to the next place without too much more drama.

Good luck! :like:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

@Armistice Keep in mind that this is the desert. The airport reported a record-setting amount of rainfall on Thursday, and that was less than 2 inches. We average less than 9 inches of rain per year here! The vast majority of our moisture falls as snow (over 50 inches per year) and melting snow doesn't tend to cause drainage headaches.

I chatted up the UPS guy this morning and he said that he's lived here his whole life and has never seen it rain for 3 days straight. One of the landscapers stopped by to move the remaining retaining wall bricks that were blocking my truck in the garage, and he said the same. It's just not a region that's built to expect more than occasional brief heavy rain. It's certainly not within norms to get a steady 3 day rain with bouts of heavy rain mixed in.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tadpui wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:05 pm @Armistice Keep in mind that this is the desert. The airport reported a record-setting amount of rainfall on Thursday, and that was less than 2 inches. We average less than 9 inches of rain per year here! The vast majority of our moisture falls as snow (over 50 inches per year) and melting snow doesn't tend to cause drainage headaches.

I chatted up the UPS guy this morning and he said that he's lived here his whole life and has never seen it rain for 3 days straight. One of the landscapers stopped by to move the remaining retaining wall bricks that were blocking my truck in the garage, and he said the same. It's just not a region that's built to expect more than occasional brief heavy rain. It's certainly not within norms to get a steady 3 day rain with bouts of heavy rain mixed in.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking - I mean it's certainly a heavy amount of rainfall - would make anywhere pretty wet, but if it's happening in a place where it's really unusual then it's going to have a much greater impact. That's what seems to be happening.

Interesting thing is that so many other areas of the world are really, really dry, and I thought lots of the US was too. Not your 'hood though!

We've had three very wet years, so all the rain that the rest of the world wasn't getting was falling on us. But that came immediately after the massive bushfires that all the world new about and we got that because of years of very dry weather. Jury's out on where we go from here - just over a third of the way through the year we've had a fifth of the annual average rainfall - and the biggest two months are already past. So dry, for us...

Happy baling!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Sorry to hear all that Tad. Thankfully you're not losing anything valuable.

Drainage sucks around my house too. I've had a lot of drain work done to keep things under control.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Got dang Tad!!!! That is brutal. Here i am at the opposite end of the spectrum flirting with wildfires every other day and you got all the water we need to get on with our summer.

I hope there is some resolve for you with this it seems to be a yearly problem. Even though you aren't losing anything there is always still that friggin water damage and clean up you gotta deal with. Sorry man.
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Isn't the weather weird... flooding in Italy and we're going to have a very hot dry summer, apparently...

There goes the lawn!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

It has been a very strangely wet spring here in Denver so far. We got a good heavy downpour this morning, but it was my first chance to see the benefits of what landscaping progress has been made so far. The former problem spots are still bone dry, which is terrific news. No water in the problematic window well. They're still not done yet, so we still have quite a bit of pooling but it's away from the house so I'm not too worried. And the back yard is an incredibly muddy mess. but the water is flowing where we want it to go now, so I'm very happy so far.

I should have snapped some "before" pics of how terrible our back yard looked. And the current "in progress" pics would just be of a mud pile with machines and tools everywhere. I'll grab some "after" pics once I get my buffalo grass plugs planted and the rock and mulch in place.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tadpui wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:33 pm It has been a very strangely wet spring here in Denver so far. We got a good heavy downpour this morning, but it was my first chance to see the benefits of what landscaping progress has been made so far. The former problem spots are still bone dry, which is terrific news. No water in the problematic window well. They're still not done yet, so we still have quite a bit of pooling but it's away from the house so I'm not too worried. And the back yard is an incredibly muddy mess. but the water is flowing where we want it to go now, so I'm very happy so far.

I should have snapped some "before" pics of how terrible our back yard looked. And the current "in progress" pics would just be of a mud pile with machines and tools everywhere. I'll grab some "after" pics once I get my buffalo grass plugs planted and the rock and mulch in place.
We just had quite heavy consistent rain for a couple of days - three and a half inches over the 48 hours. Walked outside onto the front lawn about midday on the day after it stopped and it was like it hadn't rained at all - sandy soil so close to the beach - it leaks away very quickly here.

Three days on and I'm going to have to start watering the plants again. :frown:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This has all sounded pretty awful, Tad.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Tadpui wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:33 pm It has been a very strangely wet spring here in Denver so far. We got a good heavy downpour this morning, but it was my first chance to see the benefits of what landscaping progress has been made so far. The former problem spots are still bone dry, which is terrific news. No water in the problematic window well. They're still not done yet, so we still have quite a bit of pooling but it's away from the house so I'm not too worried. And the back yard is an incredibly muddy mess. but the water is flowing where we want it to go now, so I'm very happy so far.

My partner has been going wild with digging dry wells all around our yard the last 2 years. It's hard to deny the benefit it's had tho. The sun room hasn't flooded in a year and a half, and even after really heavy rains, our yard overall is generally dry.