Active pickups, humbucking, and overall volume levels

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
vomitHatSteve

Active pickups, humbucking, and overall volume levels

Post by vomitHatSteve »

So in gearing up to record with my new band, I've been switching back and forth between my two basses, and I've noticed some behavior that makes me curious.

Bass A is a Peavy Foundation (fretless). It has 2 stock pickups that near as I can figure are identical.
Bass B is a Kramer of some variety of Spector active pickups. They're clearly not an identical set since one is a straight bar, and the other is split.

I've noticed that when I turn one of the pickups down on the Peavy, it starts to buzz. So I presume this means the two pickups are wired opposite each other, and this is standard humbucking behavior right?

On the Kramer, if I turn one of the pickups down slightly, the entire instrument gets louder. What would cause this? There's no hum either way. (The split pickup should be humbucking itself anyway, right?)
Greg_L

Re: Active pickups, humbucking, and overall volume levels

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:05 pm So in gearing up to record with my new band, I've been switching back and forth between my two basses, and I've noticed some behavior that makes me curious.

Bass A is a Peavy Foundation (fretless). It has 2 stock pickups that near as I can figure are identical.
Bass B is a Kramer of some variety of Spector active pickups. They're clearly not an identical set since one is a straight bar, and the other is split.

I've noticed that when I turn one of the pickups down on the Peavy, it starts to buzz. So I presume this means the two pickups are wired opposite each other, and this is standard humbucking behavior right?

On the Kramer, if I turn one of the pickups down slightly, the entire instrument gets louder. What would cause this? There's no hum either way. (The split pickup should be humbucking itself anyway, right?)
I don't know about the active problem, but it seems the Peavey is behaving normally for humbucking bass pickups. A "buzz" is never good though. Check the grounding in the bass.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:38 pm
I don't know about the active problem, but it seems the Peavey is behaving normally for humbucking bass pickups. A "buzz" is never good though. Check the grounding in the bass.
"Buzz" was probably the wrong word. It's closer to the the standard noise floor just getting a little louder.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Yes that is normal for the peavey. The pickups are out of phase from each other to cancel the hum. The Kramer probably has a dead spot in the volume pot causing the resistance to change.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

ocnor wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:41 pm Yes that is normal for the peavey. The pickups are out of phase from each other to cancel the hum. The Kramer probably has a dead spot in the volume pot causing the resistance to change.
Hmmm... I suppose that's possible. It happens with both volume knobs tho.