Digital mixers

DIY Studio Stuff
vomitHatSteve

Digital mixers

Post by vomitHatSteve »

So a problem my band is starting to run into is booking bars that don't have a PA and or FoH sound person. We're talking starting to bring along our own PA of some sort.

Since we all have phones anyway, I was thinking we could could get a digital mixer and control our own monitor mixes. Something like this maybe.
Anyone have any experience with these kinds of setups? Recommendations?
Greg_L

Re: Digital mixers

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:06 pm So a problem my band is starting to run into is booking bars that don't have a PA and or FoH sound person. We're talking starting to bring along our own PA of some sort.

Since we all have phones anyway, I was thinking we could could get a digital mixer and control our own monitor mixes. Something like this maybe.
Yes that thing would work well. We used one of those in the practice space.
@Bill L can give you the tips.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:12 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:06 pm So a problem my band is starting to run into is booking bars that don't have a PA and or FoH sound person. We're talking starting to bring along our own PA of some sort.

Yes that thing would work well. We used one of those in the practice space.
@Bill L can give you the tips.
Sweet. Thanks!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:17 pm
Sweet. Thanks!
I think you'll need powered monitors maybe? We had them and that thing was way loud enough and clean enough to cover our super loud band.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

a good friend has one of these which looks pretty similar.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... rack-mixer

He raves about it .....
And I have done some gigs at veues that use digital mixers and being able to wander around the place with your phone/pad and adjust levels and such is super-useful.

Also every time you play a venue just save the final settings for that place and when you go back pull them up and you're already mixed.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Yeah, we'd been discussing powered mixers (or maybe in-ears)

True, saving presets could be pretty handy
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

I have 2 of the X18s, one for backup at gigs. They do a great job and allows everyone to control their own mix. They are also a great tool for mobile studio recording or as an interface. I'd be happy to help you out with any questions you have.

And as has been mentioned, saving scenes is very easy. I have hundreds of scenes for probably around 50 shows/events. I can get up and running with a new band in minutes now.

Bottom line, I highly recommend digital boards for the size gigs that I assume you are doing.