First post-pandemic show tonight!

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
vomitHatSteve

First post-pandemic show tonight!

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I'm weirdly more nervous for this show than I've been for any in years!

Even though it's just covers. (Granted, 4 hours of them...)
CrowsofFritz

Re: First post-pandemic show tonight!

Post by CrowsofFritz »

4 hours! Wow! That’s crazy. I don’t think I could remember four hours worth of material.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I put notes in my phone. Gonna cheat a li'l
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Wow, that's a marathon of a show! Best of luck, break a leg, and have fun!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

have fun!

I've done very few shows that weren't 4 hours BTW ...... that just sounds like a normal gig to me
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

It would take a lot of money to get me to do a four hour show.

Have fun anyway.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

lol @ 4 hour fears ......... out of maybe 15,000 gigs I've done, basically all of them have been 4 hours .... maybe 100 or so that were only 3 hours ..... in N.O. 6 and 7 hour gigs were common and just a couple of years ago I did a couple of 8 hour gigs.

I never even heard of gigs being less until I'd been gigging a couple of decades.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:09 am lol @ 4 hour fears .........
It's not fear. Lol. Four hours is nothing. I'd fucking drum for 4 straight hours in a garage in Texas heat at band practices. No big deal. It's desire. I don't want to do anything for four hours....except maybe fishing.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:09 am lol @ 4 hour fears ......... out of maybe 15,000 gigs I've done, basically all of them have been 4 hours .... maybe 100 or so that were only 3 hours ..... in N.O. 6 and 7 hour gigs were common and just a couple of years ago I did a couple of 8 hour gigs.

I never even heard of gigs being less until I'd been gigging a couple of decades.
Yeah, I figured that was your situation. 4 hours is the standard block size for an evening's entertainment here (and I suspect most US markets nowadays). It's especially locked in at the honky tonk bars. A band plays 4 hours then rotates out.

An 8 hour gig sounds like a real marathon! I don't know that I could pace my energy levels to not collapse
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:31 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:09 am lol @ 4 hour fears ......... out of maybe 15,000 gigs I've done, basically all of them have been 4 hours .... maybe 100 or so that were only 3 hours ..... in N.O. 6 and 7 hour gigs were common and just a couple of years ago I did a couple of 8 hour gigs.

Yeah, I figured that was your situation. 4 hours is the standard block size for an evening's entertainment here (and I suspect most US markets nowadays). It's especially locked in at the honky tonk bars. A band plays 4 hours then rotates out.

An 8 hour gig sounds like a real marathon! I don't know that I could pace my energy levels to not collapse
yeah ...... that last hour or so gets a bit grim ....... after 6 or 7 hours of singing I'm ready to not be singing or playing.

In B.R., every Christmas for the last 8 years we lived there I'd do a late gig the night before Christmas eve getting to bed around 3am and then I'd have an 8 hour the next morning starting at 10am and then at 6pm, when that finished, I'd have to tear down quickly and get across town to set up for another 4 hour from 8-12 that evening and then one more 4 hour Christmas morning for a jazz brunch.
So 20 hours of gigging during that time!

Wouldn't want to do that now ....... but I would.
You know why?
'Cause I like money!!
:murcah:

Anyways ..... hope the gig went well ........ wanna see pics.
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Sun May 16, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

The multiple gigs per night lifestyle seems particularly grueling! Did you see that video of the Nashville drummer falling out the window a few years back? Apparently, he broke a rib but still finished the set and then went across the street to do another 4 hours right afterwards.
I have a ton of respect for being that hardcore!

Videos and pictures are starting to trickle in. Our vocalist will probably curate something after she sleeps it off.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:03 pm The multiple gigs per night lifestyle seems particularly grueling! Did you see that video of the Nashville drummer falling out the window a few years back? Apparently, he broke a rib but still finished the set and then went across the street to do another 4 hours right afterwards.
I have a ton of respect for being that hardcore!
props to that drummer ..... the show MUST go on!!

I once had a wreck on my motorcycle .... head on collision with a pickup.
Broke my right wrist and shattered my right kneecap.
That happened on a Tuesday and I had a gig on Thursday.
I made them let me out of the hospital a day earlier than they wanted to and made them cut the cast on my wrist so I could get that hand around my sax.
Propped my right leg which was also in a cast up on the engine compartment of my van and drove with my left foot for two hours to get to the gig and played.
I did get pretty swirly after a couple of hours and they had to take me out and lay me on the cold metal floor of my van which revived me and I went back in and finished the gig.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Cheezy petes! Didn't even get someone to do the drive for you?
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:02 pm Cheezy petes! Didn't even get someone to do the drive for you?
nah ..... daddy didn't raise no wussyboy!!
lol ...... in retrospect I prolly pushed things a bit!

Hell ..... 3 weeks later with casts still on I had an outdoor concert I was providing sound for and I was shlepping speaker cabinets and such around while still wearing the casts.

I have some pics around somewhere ...... maybe next week I'll see if I can find 'em
JD01

Post by JD01 »

How'd the gig go, Steve?
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Gig went well. Still a lot of cobwebs to shake off overall, and I got pretty fat and lazy over the pandemic.
But it was fun. The crowd seemed to enjoy it. Got contact info for another guy to play his bar at the show. Plus an old fan hired us to play her "sold her house and is moving into an RV" party on Sunday.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:47 am Gig went well. Still a lot of cobwebs to shake off overall, and I got pretty fat and lazy over the pandemic.
But it was fun. The crowd seemed to enjoy it. Got contact info for another guy to play his bar at the show. Plus an old fan hired us to play her "sold her house and is moving into an RV" party on Sunday.
that's awesome ....... getting 2 gigs from your first gig in a year means ya'll did great!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:31 pm
that's awesome ....... getting 2 gigs from your first gig in a year means ya'll did great!
The reason we went on hiatus the first time was because our vocalist was getting disillusioned with no one wanting to book us, so this is definitely a positive turn!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

First gig The Jongleurs ever did ended up being almost a 4 hour special. We were an originals band, remember... Bar owner didn't really "get" that. Lucky we also knew lots of covers, but fuck me that was a long night. There might have been some repetition, and some extended versions. :lollers:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:10 pm First gig The Jongleurs ever did ended up being almost a 4 hour special. We were an originals band, remember... Bar owner didn't really "get" that. Lucky we also knew lots of covers, but fuck me that was a long night. There might have been some repetition, and some extended versions. :lollers:
Yeah, I did 4 hours with an originals band once. The gig was booked last minute too, so it was real tricky to find ways to fill that time.

Fortunately, it was the glam rock band, so "extended guitar solo" and "extended drum solo" were both common moves.