I need a program .... tell me which one

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
Lt. Bob

I need a program .... tell me which one

Post by Lt. Bob »

I want to digitize some of my LPs ..... easy enough to do ...... I just play them and record them to my Masterlink ..... burn a CD and then have my 'puter rip that ... ( I don't have a laptop or way to directly connect to the 'puter since the two are in different parts of the house).
I have 2 Masterlinks, 3 CD recorders and have several card type recorders in which case I can record to those and plug the card into the puter and transfer the files.
So I'm well equipped on   machines to record the LPs to.

Problem I'm having is using Windows Media Player, it doesn't want me to add the Meta data.
I don't want much ..... just Artist, Album name and track name and I accept that recording LPs means I'll have to enter everything manually .....  it won't do that and lots of my self recorded stuff gets 'unknown author' or even something like "Irish Beer songs"!  lol

I want a program that'll make it easier for me to put that data in and search thru since eventually I'll have done a thousand or two albums. ..... and yes, I suppose I could buy a laptop and record to that but it still doesn't solve the problem of self done recordings from analog that have no such data within them.

Plus I have a fair amount of my own music for which no such data exists anywhere anyways. The no-data stuff just freaks Media Player out.

Doesn't have to be free ...... any suggestions?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: I need a program .... tell me which one

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:07 pm I want to digitize some of my LPs ..... easy enough to do ...... I just play them and record them to my Masterlink ..... burn a CD and then have my 'puter rip that ... ( I don't have a laptop or way to directly connect to the 'puter since the two are in different parts of the house).
I have 2 Masterlinks, 3 CD recorders and have several card type recorders in which case I can record to those and plug the card into the puter and transfer the files.

Problem I'm having is using Windows Media Player, it doesn't want me to add the Meta data.
I don't want much ..... just Artist, Album name and track name and I accept that recording LPs means I'll have to enter everything manually .....  it won't do that and lots of my self recorded stuff gets 'unknown author' or even something like "Irish Beer songs"!  lol

I want a program that'll make it easier for me to put that data in and search thru since eventually I'll have done a thousand or two albums. ..... and yes, I suppose I could buy a laptop and record to that but it still doesn't solve the problem of self done recordings from analog that have no such data within them.

Plus I have a fair amount of my own music for which no such data exists anywhere anyways. The no-data stuff just freaks Media Player out.

I didn't give this a full read but it looks like Audacity will do the trick for you. sounds like you can also potentially do this and skip the middle bit of burning to CD and then ripping later? Seems very simple.

If you don't already have an audio interface yet i am sure anyone of us could send you something to get you going. Sadly i just sent my 2i2 off to a buddy in Fort McMurray otherwise id have stuck it in the mail for you.

Check this out.

https://www.turntablelab.com/pages/reco ... uter-guide
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:07 pm I want to digitize some of my LPs ..... easy enough to do ...... I just play them and record them to my Masterlink ..... burn a CD and then have my 'puter rip that ... ( I don't have a laptop or way to directly connect to the 'puter since the two are in different parts of the house).

Ohh one other thing, there was an media player i downloaded a few years ago that would find, add and correct all the meta data stuff as well as attach all the album art work to the audio files so long as the artist, album and song names were correct. I want ot say it was called media monkey maybe? or some thing about monkeys or bananas? It worked slick as snot too!! I was VERY impressed by it.

won't work for your al you rare self recorded stuff obviously but for your albumns and lps that would have published stuff would work great.

Just something to consider once you get to that point. First thing is first though!!!
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

cool ..... thanks.
I will check that out tonight ..... I have 2 Tascam DR-05s which I could use as a stereo interface.
And Audacity can be used for other things as well.
media monkey is a great name so that'd be cool! :D

Michael Fremer suggested Vinyl Studio which would handle levels and such also but it sounds like I'd have to connect direct to a puter.

This could drive me to buy a laptop.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Audacity would allow you to import all the audio files and then re-export them with metadata. It has some templating tools that might save you some time when you do full albums at a time. You can also normalize pretty easily. (ctrl+a to select all the tracks, effect > amplify, it will default to the max amplification before anything clips, then press enter)
The downside is that you'll end up with two copies of each file - one with metadata one without.

If you're burning to and ripping from CD, WMP should allow that, but I find winamp to be a little easier. (VLC and iTunes could also do it)