Weber Or Celestion?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
7String

Weber Or Celestion?

Post by 7String »

Anyone here have any experience with Weber speakers? Thinking of getting the 12F150 for my DRRI. I'm also considering the Celestion G12-65 but I'm leaning toward the Weber.
Lt. Bob

Re: Weber Or Celestion?

Post by Lt. Bob »

I have a couple of Webers and they're both good although not a good direct comparison to the model you're asking about.
I have a Weber Michigan ...... a 90 watt Alnico ...... quite a good speaker ..... probably my fav out of my collection of 12" speakers.
I have it in my Mark V combo.

And i have a couple of their little 8" speakers ...... bad ass little 8's ...... I wanted a couple of 8's to do something with at some point.

I think they make really nice speakers although a speaker is probably one of the most 'personal-taste' items as far as an amps' sound goes.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

If it were me I'd go with the Weber for that amp.
Rebel Yell
7String

Post by 7String »

Greg_L wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:15 am If it were me I'd go with the Weber for that amp.
Ok, why? After a little research I found that there are different models of the 12F150, an A and a B. The A is more mid-scooped like a Fender is and the B has more mid punch. I'm leaning toward the B now because I think the mids are SERIOUSLY lacking the DRRI.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

7String wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:06 pm
Ok, why? After a little research I found that there are different models of the 12F150, an A and a B. The A is more mid-scooped like a Fender is and the B has more mid punch. I'm leaning toward the B now because I think the mids are SERIOUSLY lacking the DRRI.
You just nailed it. For me, having my own hand built Deluxe Reverb, and also having vintage G12-65 speakers, I know that for my ears the two don't pair that well. And it's for reasons you said - Fender amps are naturally pretty mid-scooped already. G12-65s sort of are too. I think 65s sound amazing under loud overdriven amps - like Marshalls - stuff with midrange. But with Fender amps the 65s don't help with what the amp lacks, and they hype what the amp already has.

I don't have any "American" style speakers. All of my speakers are "British" Celestions. And with my speakers I think my Deluxe Reverb sounds best through the Vintage 30s and G12H30s - both of those speakers have strong midrange characteristics.
Rebel Yell
7String

Post by 7String »

Greg_L wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:56 pm
7String wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:06 pm
You just nailed it. For me, having my own hand built Deluxe Reverb, and also having vintage G12-65 speakers, I know that for my ears the two don't pair that well. And it's for reasons you said - Fender amps are naturally pretty mid-scooped already. G12-65s sort of are too. I think 65s sound amazing under loud overdriven amps - like Marshalls - stuff with midrange. But with Fender amps the 65s don't help with what the amp lacks, and they hype what the amp already has.

I don't have any "American" style speakers. All of my speakers are "British" Celestions. And with my speakers I think my Deluxe Reverb sounds best through the Vintage 30s and G12H30s - both of those speakers have strong midrange characteristics.
Awesome! Thank you so much for the info!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

7String wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:45 pm
Awesome! Thank you so much for the info!
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
7String

Post by 7String »

Ordered the G12150B this afternoon. Can't wait til it gets here!!!!

Thanks for the responses!