NAD...new flavor

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

NAD...new flavor

Post by Greg_L »

Orange is a color and a flavor. Green is too!

Got this in a trade. This is actually an Orange TH30 dressed in vintage Green attire.

Orange is the one color/flavor I haven't had in my amp pile, and I've always wanted one, so here we go....except it's Green...but it's an Orange. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: NAD...new flavor

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:54 pm Orange is a color and a flavor. Green is too!

Got this in a trade. This is actually an Orange TH30 dressed in vintage Green attire.

Orange is the one color/flavor I haven't had in my amp pile, and I've always wanted one, so here we go....except it's Green...but it's an Orange. :lollers2:
Nice!!!! Thats a great aquisition! I cant wait to hear it. It should be pretty interesting to play with. Those were like the 90s Pete Green tribute versions of various 'Orange' amps or someshit. I stand to be corrected though.

What the hell did you trade for this? Obvs not one of your Marshall children?
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

awesome man ...... I've always liked those green Oranges.

And they absolutely have their own sound ..... I really regret getting rid of the Tiny Terror

Green is the new orange!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:21 am

What the hell did you trade for this? Obvs not one of your Marshall children?
I traded the mini Jubilee that I got in a trade from minerman. I really struggled with that decision, you know, because I got it from miner right before he left us. But I know the guy it went to and he's a good dude and we made an agreement that we can swap back at any time. And I still have the mini 800 I got from minerman and that will be staying put. I love that thing. I did not much care for the mini Jubilee.

So anyway, yeah I don't know how or why this thing is Green, but it's just a regular Orange TH30 dressed in green.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:28 am awesome man ...... I've always liked those green Oranges.

And they absolutely have their own sound ..... I really regret getting rid of the Tiny Terror

Green is the new orange!
This thing has an amazing clean channel. I think it rivals the classic Fender clean easily. The dirty channel is what you'd expect from an Orange. And it has a lot of gain.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cool. Looking forward to hearing what you can do with that
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

That looks fantastic. Have fun with it!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I was just watching old Mutoid Man/Two Minutes to Late Night videos yesterday, and they had one of those things. I was wondering what was up with that.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Here's a very quick very general history of Matamp/Green/Orange.

There was a company called MATAMP in the early 60s. They mainly made stuff like hi-fi and recording equipment. Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac partnered with Matamp and they made some "Green" guitar amps. They were just Matamp amps in green clothes. A little bit later the guy that owned Orange Music needed amps so he struck a distribution deal with Matamp to make Orange Matamp amps to be sold through his Orange music stores. These were Matamp amps in orange tolex and called "Orange". The Orange Matamps were designed to sound dirtier than typical Matamps. This lasted a little while and the amps got very very popular. Matamp, not wanting to become a watered down assembly line amp company, and being too small to keep up with demand, left the Orange partnership and Orange continued on making their own Orange amps which were still just Matamp designs. Orange went on to be one of the top dogs of the amp world, Matamp faded into obscurity.

My new "Green" is just a run-of-the-mill Orange TH30 dressed in green.

Nowadays there is a Green amp company that makes retro-style hand-made Green amps which are throwback/inspired by the original Matamp designs.
Rebel Yell
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Cool. I'd like to hear some sample tones back-to-back with some of your other amps.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:39 pm Matamp, not wanting to become a watered down assembly line amp company, and being too small to keep up with demand, left the Orange partnership and Orange continued on making their own Orange amps which were still just Matamp designs. Orange went on to be one of the top dogs of the amp world, Matamp faded into obscurity.
Whoops. Sounds like that would have been a great time to just sell out!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:13 pm

Whoops. Sounds like that would have been a great time to just sell out!
I'm not sure they could have even if they wanted to. Matamp didn't have the $$$ to keep up with production demands.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:15 pm

I'm not sure they could have even if they wanted to. Matamp didn't have the $$$ to keep up with production demands.
I was thinking in terms of asking Orange to acquire the whole stake. If someone is already selling your product more successfully than you, might as well offer them the logo too.
This dream world is how we could have Double-Stuf Hydorx cookies.