The gerg live and loud

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
Greg_L

Re: The gerg live and loud

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:10 pm
Sounds like you need to do another gig for the scumbag promoter, make sure he's there, then treat him like the true bell-end he really is, in public to make sure word gets around...
Lol. People know who he is and how shitty he is. Bands are fucking desperate cowardly lame asses though so they give him, and people like him, their power.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:16 pm
Minerman wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:10 pm
Sounds like you need to do another gig for the scumbag promoter, make sure he's there, then treat him like the true bell-end he really is, in public to make sure word gets around...
Lol. People know who he is and how shitty he is. Bands are fucking desperate cowardly lame asses though so they give him, and people like him, their power.
It's a shame shit like this happens man...Bands got fucked over a lot at the 2 or 3 local places I used to play, pretty regularly...The band would play for "the door", however many people paid to come in...Most of the time the bar owner/doorman stuck most of it in his pocket...Happened many, many times to me...

Those places are long gone now though (wonder why)...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:39 pm
It's a shame shit like this happens man...Bands got fucked over a lot at the 2 or 3 local places I used to play, pretty regularly...The band would play for "the door", however many people paid to come in...Most of the time the bar owner/doorman stuck most of it in his pocket...Happened many, many times to me...

And it's also the genre. I'm telling ya, the punk rock shows I play are always a blast and the crowds are good and into it. As jaded and elitist as punk rock crowds can be, they still appreciate going out and seeing bands. The buttrock shows are full of middle aged boring leftover hair metal fucks that would rather be at home watching Law and Order re-runs. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:56 pm
Minerman wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:39 pm

And it's also the genre. I'm telling ya, the punk rock shows I play are always a blast and the crowds are good and into it. As jaded and elitist as punk rock crowds can be, they still appreciate going out and seeing bands. The buttrock shows are full of middle aged boring leftover hair metal fucks that would rather be at home watching Law and Order re-runs. :lollers2:
The bands I played in didn't play very much punk music, or hair metal/cock rock either...We had to play country/classic rock/3-chord "Johnny B Good" songs...And when I say country, I mean real country music like Merle Haggard, Hank Jr., not the every song sounds the same, terrible "bro-country" shit that's out there today...

It probably wouldn't be as bad now, but back then if you guys played around here, most of the audience would've went into cardiac arrest trying to get to the door... :lollers:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

[mention]Greg_L[/mention] I tried to reply to this thread last night but my phone and this site were not getting along well...

Since I've been living in a hole for the last few weeks, I missed out on this entire saga! I remember Tora Tora. I had one of their CDs in high school and I still remember Walkin' Shoes as the single from that album. I can't believe that they're still around and playing shows! I remember them being contemporaries of the likes of Winger and other hair metal bands.

I was actually supposed to see them in concert one time but another band subbed in for them. The bill was George Lynch (or maybe Dokken), Tora Tora and Warrant :D. I can't remember who filled in for Tora Tora. That was probably 1991 or 1992.

Man, I came of age in such an unfortunate era of music history. MTV really did a number on an entire generation of us by pushing all of that Hollywood hair metal down everybody's throats. The guitar magazines reinforced it, too. The saturation was so complete that even MTV had trouble getting themselves out of it once hair metal was replaced by grunge. That daily top 10 call-in show played Skid Row's "I Remember You" in the #1 spot every day for like 2 years after Nirvana brought Seattle into the fray. What a weird time in history.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:27 pm @Greg_L I tried to reply to this thread last night but my phone and this site were not getting along well...

Since I've been living in a hole for the last few weeks, I missed out on this entire saga! I remember Tora Tora. I had one of their CDs in high school and I still remember Walkin' Shoes as the single from that album. I can't believe that they're still around and playing shows! I remember them being contemporaries of the likes of Winger and other hair metal bands.

I was actually supposed to see them in concert one time but another band subbed in for them. The bill was George Lynch (or maybe Dokken), Tora Tora and Warrant :D. I can't remember who filled in for Tora Tora. That was probably 1991 or 1992.

Man, I came of age in such an unfortunate era of music history. MTV really did a number on an entire generation of us by pushing all of that Hollywood hair metal down everybody's throats. The guitar magazines reinforced it, too. The saturation was so complete that even MTV had trouble getting themselves out of it once hair metal was replaced by grunge. That daily top 10 call-in show played Skid Row's "I Remember You" in the #1 spot every day for like 2 years after Nirvana brought Seattle into the fray. What a weird time in history.
Lol. I was in that same era. I just avoided all of it. I was never interested in hair metal. That whole time period and style of music ran parallel to everything I was into. They never crossed paths. I still don't really know who Tora Tora is and I just met them. :lollers2:

Tora Tora is still at it....I guess. I imagine if true hairy heavyweights like Winger or Dokken came around they'd draw way more people than Tora Tora did.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I remember Tora Tora from about 1988 or '89, when the song Tad mentioned first came out...I was playing in my first band at the time, & I was on the blues kick...That song just kinda stuck with me because of that...The rest of the album has a few decent songs (to me), but I didn't like their 2nd album all that much...

What can I say, I was a teenager who played guitar in a band & the shred thing just naturally got my attention...Even back then, I liked all kinds of different music, I still do...I'd as soon hear something by Waylon Jennings as any hair metal, even now...
Either or... :lollers:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Stupid face, black santa.

Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Cool...is that your guitar?
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Nice pic. What band was that? What sort of stuff.

Cool guitar. Is that hollow? or are the f holes just decorative.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:13 am Cool...is that your guitar?
JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:47 am Nice pic. What band was that? What sort of stuff.

Cool guitar. Is that hollow? or are the f holes just decorative.
Thanks dudes. Not my guitar. It's an ES-137. Semi-hollow. That's the Crank Case band, I come out from behind the drums to fuck around with a punk rock version of The Jeffersons theme song at the end of the set. That's the charity Toys For Tots show.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I haven't seen the tat on your right arm before. have you a clear shot of it? It looks nice n new.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:35 am I haven't seen the tat on your right arm before. have you a clear shot of it? It looks nice n new.
Lol it's kind of new. I don't have any good pics of it. My brother-in-law owns a shop and he does them. I've been telling my wife I'd get one for like 15 years, but I wanted to wait till my last grandma had passed - she hated them so much. :frown: :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

This was a fun show last weekend. Very loud. Good old-school punk rock crowd. They got right up on us. Very....pink.

Zero pedals.

My foot.
Rebel Yell
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

Hey is that Micky Hart from the Greatful Dead on Drumbs? Noticed the kick drum badge?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

einstein magoo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:21 pm Hey is that Micky Hart from the Greatful Dead on Drumbs? Noticed the kick drum badge?
Yes, it is him. Good eye. He got tired of playing geezer hippie soft rock so he plays with us shitheads now. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:30 pm
einstein magoo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:21 pm Hey is that Micky Hart from the Greatful Dead on Drumbs? Noticed the kick drum badge?
Yes, it is him. Good eye. He got tired of playing geezer hippie soft rock so he plays with us shitheads now. :coolstorybro:
Figured you'd just tell me, hey fuck you! LOL!
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Awesome Lester in that first pic!

No pedals! The question I never get tired of hearing and answering, "what pedals are you using?" And my answer is either " none" or "just a clean boost". And that's using my Princeton, Vox AC 15 or my JTM 45. With various guitars.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bill L wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:56 pm Awesome Lester in that first pic!
Thanks! That's my 78. That thing is *butta*. So smooth. Very easy to play - for a Les Paul. It's got an amazing setup on it. It's natural tone is really balanced and smooth too. The Goldtop in the background is usually my #1 guitar. I generally prefer it's slightly more aggressive tone and snappy feel.
No pedals! The question I never get tired of hearing and answering, "what pedals are you using?" And my answer is either " none" or "just a clean boost". And that's using my Princeton, Vox AC 15 or my JTM 45. With various guitars.
Lol. yeah. I like when people ask too, and their shock and horror when I show them no pedals....like it's an odd thing now. I know it's kind of puritanical sometimes to make a big deal out of using no pedals, but it's damnnear a novelty now to play guitar with no transistorized noise boxes in the way. My simple glib answer is "I have a Les Paul and a Marshall halfstack sitting right here. It's a perfect combination as-is".
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Cool pix... you look pretty in pink.
Cheers
rayc