The gerg live and loud

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: The gerg live and loud

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:58 pm
JD01 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:52 pm

Mate... if god is real I don’t think you’re quite what he had in mind
If God is real he made me this way! :eep:
:lollers: :lollers: :lollers:
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Long rant ahead....

So my drumming gig band is opening up for some shitty 80s band this saturday. I'm already annoyed about that. I fucking hate 80s hair rock bands. To be fair, I have no idea who these guys are. They might be awesome, but I doubt it. I only know they were at the tail end of the spandex hair metal era and they must be fucking cheesy as fuck because the tail end was the worst of the whole thing.

Anyway, the main guy in my band accepted this gig on the spot without checking with the rest of us and it's a fucking ticket sale gig...which means pay-to-play. I fucking hate it even more. This goes against everything I stand for on so many levels. But, I'm not the one shelling out my own $$$ for the tickets so whatever. He did it.

If you don't know, the way these things usually work is some shady chickenshit local promoter wannabe gets a grand idea to fly in some shitty band that's permanently available because they are not in demand by anyone ever. So this super band says yes for a guarantee. Of course they do, they don't actually have to do anything. The promoter guy pays for their flights and all that shit. To recover his costs, he gets 4 or 5 local opening bands to buy piles of tickets to sell for the show. The opening bands are then tasked with recovering their own money by selling these tickets locally. The promoter doesn't give a fuck if one ticket actually gets sold because he already got paid by the opening bands. His work is done. His nut is covered. The opening bands are essentially paying for this "headliner" band to come in and cover the promoter's costs. All of the financial burden and promotion is now left up to the opening bands. It's so fucked. I hate it so much. I'm in a very foul mood about this gig.

This is where it gets worse. This super cheesy fly-in band isn't bringing any equipment! They bring guitars, but they expect to use a backline provided by the opening bands! The promoter actually asked me to use my drums for the backline. I told him, and I quote, "go fuck yourself". No one is playing my drums, and especially not some lazy chickenshit hair band from the 80s. My guy in my band that set all this crap up is letting the bands use his amps and bass rig. Fine, that's totally his prerogative and I don't care. But the drums will be provided by one of the other opening bands. I don't like people playing my drums, and I almost equally dislike playing someone else's drums, but if it's his or mine staying up there for everyone to beat on, I'd rather it be his. So we have a drum kit provided by one of the opening bands, and guitar and bass amps provided by mine. Yay.

This is where it gets even more worse! The primadonna drummer in this super fucking shitty 80s band that isn't bringing his own drums doesn't want anyone else playing the kit provided by guy actually providing the kit! I can't play the main backline drums that the crappy 80s drummer is gonna play, so the guy providing the drums has to provide a second drum kit for the opening bands to use! This poor dumb desperate gullible fucker is hauling and setting up two kits all because the 80s buttrock drummer is a fucking diva. This drummer dude has the nerve to make such a demand and people are actually going along with it! I'm actually embarrassed for everyone involved. No one making any of these decisions has any balls whatsoever.

I'm beside myself with rage and wtf-ness. I promise you guys, as a friend and member of this site, I will be having words, and probably fighting someone this weekend.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg - For once I am in complete agreement with you.

I'd be intrigued to know who the 80s band are and why they think they can treat people like that. I suppose it will actually be the shitty promoter that's told them everything will be provided.
I'd never let some fucking tool with a sense of entitlement plug into my rig... not just with music/gear but with stuff in general... pompous arseholes with a sense of entitlement will place very little value on someone else's gear. I was at a surf contest a couple of years ago (a kind of pro-am, I was always gonna come last, but some really good surfers enter) and one of the top guys needed to borrow a board. Typical, "don't you know who I am" (I still don't know) knob-head. There was no way he was going anywhere near mine, 'cos I know it would have come back trashed if it came back at all.

Anyway, they probably have a fairly decent rider promised too. You should eat/drink all of it... remember to piss in the empties and put the caps back on.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:48 am Anyway, they probably have a fairly decent rider promised too. You should eat/drink all of it... remember to piss in the empties and put the caps back on.
The venue for this gig is a place anyone can play any time. I've played there about a billion times myself with various bands. There is no backstage. The "dressing room" is a little closed-off hallway next to the stage with a couch that I wouldn't dare sit on. If there is a food rider, it can't be more than a bag of chips and a few water bottles.

But yeah, since the opening bands actually paid for it, whatever food/drink there is, I will partake.

I can't wait to confront this promoter and drummer.

I know the promoter. He's a true piece of shit. He's a fat greasy old guy that actually wears pinky rings.

Quick side story...He did another show that we played a while back. This one was much less clusterfucked. But he tried to dictate where the bands put their gear and parked their cars. Like I said, I've played this place a bunch of times and I know where to stage my stuff before we go on. The bar manager is actually a friend of my band. Anyway, this guy is telling everyone to leave their shit in their cars. Lol. It's 286 degrees outside and he wants us to set up outside and wait for our turn. We got the actual club manager involved and he said, I'm paraphrasing, "this is my bar, you don't tell anyone here what to do". So that solved that. I set up in my usual out-of-the-way corner of the air conditioned club, the greaseball promoter shut his fucking mouth the rest of the night, which was great, and it all went on smoothly.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:03 am wears pinky rings.
Ah... the international mark of a true bell-end.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:09 am
Ah... the international mark of a true bell-end.
I think they've maybe been there since the 70s though. His hands are so fat and swollen I doubt he could take them off even if he wanted to.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Dang! Full-on pay to play ticket scam!

Most bands are savvy enough to that that I thought it didn't fly anymore. Around here, we just get "ticket sales are online. Sell 'em or don't; we don't care once we clear the club's $300 rental fee"

I do feel sorry for the sad drummer shucking 2 kits.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Oh yeah. Make sure you get some footage of that fight with the promoter and/or hair band!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:31 pm Dang! Full-on pay to play ticket scam!

Most bands are savvy enough to that that I thought it didn't fly anymore. Around here, we just get "ticket sales are online. Sell 'em or don't; we don't care once we clear the club's $300 rental fee"

I do feel sorry for the sad drummer shucking 2 kits.
We usually avoid the ticket scam. I have been 100% dead-set against ticket scam shows since I first learned of them. My guy, bless his heart, is a really good guy, but his weakness is these shitty 80s band shows so he took it.
vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:32 pm Oh yeah. Make sure you get some footage of that fight with the promoter and/or hair band!
Maybe, but if it really happens, I don't want evidence of it.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Man that sucks. All of it. Gross. Just gross. In the end do you guys even see a dime back or is that all take home money for pinky ring ? How does something that convoluted work in your favor.

I recall in my neck of the woods when myspace was in it's prime and was the in thing just about anyone on that site that wasn't there for internet points or in a band was a fucking sleazy promoter. The one band i was in back then heard every friggin angle. "I'm not going to pay you, the publicity of my shows is all you need" "I'll need you guys to handle the ticket sales and promotion i am working on bigger shows in the city" etc etc etc. Mostly all kids looking for a fast buck from having a legion show or a community hall ages rager. 9 times in 10 they were entirely shit shows.

Very unfun.

Good luck with all that greg.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:11 pm Man that sucks. All of it. Gross. Just gross. In the end do you guys even see a dime back or is that all take home money for pinky ring ? How does something that convoluted work in your favor.
The only way it works in our favor is by selling the tickets at a markup and we also get 3 bucks per ticket used at the door. So it is possible to make some money from it. We have before. It's just a longshot for this show. My plan is to just stand outside and sell them at our cost to anyone that doesn't have a ticket, regardless of who they're there to see. They'll save money and we'll get the three bucks per ticket. Profit! :lollers2:

There is a way for the bands to make money off this scam - sell your allotment of tickets. But no local band is selling 100+ tickets. The headliners won't even draw that many people. No chance. I've played with bigger names than these guys that couldn't draw anyone. I suspect this is going to be a fancy show in an empty room.
I recall in my neck of the woods when myspace was in it's prime and was the in thing just about anyone on that site that wasn't there for internet points or in a band was a fucking sleazy promoter. The one band i was in back then heard every friggin angle. "I'm not going to pay you, the publicity of my shows is all you need" "I'll need you guys to handle the ticket sales and promotion i am working on bigger shows in the city" etc etc etc. Mostly all kids looking for a fast buck from having a legion show or a community hall ages rager. 9 times in 10 they were entirely shit shows.

Very unfun.

Good luck with all that greg.
Yup, that pretty much is still happening. Afton Live and all that garbage. I'm super suspicious and hateful towards any entity that's trying to make money from small-time music without actually making any music themselves. Promoters, promotion companies, they're all using desperate nobody bands to make a few bucks and the bands get screwed. They get "exposure". There is no exposure. Bartenders and bouncers that work at the empty clubs anyway don't care about the bands.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Well Greg, that truly sucks man...I really don't have any advice other than try to enjoy yourself, but that seems pretty un-realistic with the circumstances dude...

The big question I have is: who is this "famous" 80's hair band anyway???
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:26 pm Well Greg, that truly sucks man...I really don't have any advice other than try to enjoy yourself, but that seems pretty un-realistic with the circumstances dude...

Tora Tora Tora? Do you know them?
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:30 pm
Minerman wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:26 pm Well Greg, that truly sucks man...I really don't have any advice other than try to enjoy yourself, but that seems pretty un-realistic with the circumstances dude...

Tora Tora Tora? Do you know them?
Are you sure it isn't "Tora Tora" dude???? If so, yes I have a couple of their cd's albums in a box with all my other cd's, stuffed under my bed...Their first album "Surprise Attack", I actually liked & listened to quite a bit way back then, but it still doesn't give them the right to shit on anyone, especially my buddy Greg... :mad3:

They had a hit with "Walking Shoes" in the late 80's, basically a 3-piece band with a singer & were pretty young at the time...IIRC, they came from Memphis, but not 100% sure on that...

As much as I liked that album back then, makes me think a whole fuckin' lot less of them since they've shown who/what they really are...Fuckers... :mad:

Either way, don't take anything from any of them dude, they all shit just like we do, you know???
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rayc

Post by rayc »

I'd definitely be concerned about the band mate agreeing and agreeing without consultation: maybe he's a fan of the band!
I imagine they headliners'll fly in with sansamps and be done.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:41 pm
Are you sure it isn't "Tora Tora" dude???? If so, yes I have a couple of their cd's albums in a box with all my other cd's, stuffed under my bed...Their first album "Surprise Attack", I actually liked & listened to quite a bit way back then, but it still doesn't give them the right to shit on anyone, especially my buddy Greg... :mad3:

They had a hit with "Walking Shoes" in the late 80's, basically a 3-piece band with a singer & were pretty young at the time...IIRC, they came from Memphis, but not 100% sure on that...

As much as I liked that album back then, makes me think a whole fuckin' lot less of them since they've shown who/what they really are...Fuckers... :mad:

Either way, don't take anything from any of them dude, they all shit just like we do, you know???
Yeah, that's them. Tora Tora. I have no idea who they are. I just know they're 80s buttrock! :metal: :dislike:

I really doubt they will be assholes in person. I will be for sure, but they probably won't. This might be a big misunderstanding. I still have to get with that other drummer and see what's actually going on.
rayc wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:42 pm I'd definitely be concerned about the band mate agreeing and agreeing without consultation: maybe he's a fan of the band!
I imagine they headliners'll fly in with sansamps and be done.
Ha, he is a fan. That's why we're doing this garbage gig. He's my friend and such a nice guy though I just go along with it. He knows to not just take gigs without checking with the rest of us, but he must have gotten excited. :D

I wish they'd just show up with Sansamps and Kempers. But no. They're using my guitar players' gear. They agreed to it, so whatever. I'd say no.

I opened for The Vibrators a few years ago with a different band. One of those guys came up and was looking at my amps and said "yeah, those will do". He assumed he was gonna be using them. I told him "Nope, not a chance". I don't know what he ended up using. I left when we were done. No one uses my shit. Ever. About the only way I'd let someone use my gear is if their last name is "Ramone" and they came back from the dead.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:47 pm Yeah, that's them. Tora Tora. I have no idea who they are. I just know they're 80s buttrock! :metal: :dislike:

I really doubt they will be assholes in person. I will be for sure, but they probably won't. This might be a big misunderstanding. I still have to get with that other drummer and see what's actually going on.

Ha, he is a fan. That's why we're doing this garbage gig. He's my friend and such a nice guy though I just go along with it. He knows to not just take gigs without checking with the rest of us, but he must have gotten excited. :D

I wish they'd just show up with Sansamps and Kempers. But no. They're using my guitar players' gear. They agreed to it, so whatever. I'd say no.
I almost posted the YT video of the song most remember from them, but didn't wanna aggravate you any more than you already are... :lollers:

It sucks your buddy did what he did, but like you say, maybe it's just a big misunderstanding...I guess they'll find out whether it is or not when Greg goes off on 'em... :lollers:
Greg_L wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:47 pmI opened for The Vibrators a few years ago with a different band. One of those guys came up and was looking at my amps and said "yeah, those will do". He assumed he was gonna be using them. I told him "Nope, not a chance". I don't know what he ended up using. I left when we were done. No one uses my shit. Ever. About the only way I'd let someone use my gear is if their last name is "Ramone" and they came back from the dead.

Lol...I'd love to have saw that guy's face when you told him that...I bet that was priceless... :biggrin:

I've never had nicer gear than I have now, & I'd have a hard time letting anyone use what I have, much less the vintage amps you've got dude...I turned my nephew the preacher down on borrowing some mic cables a few years ago...He got upset, but I don't really care...That's when I was going through the divorce, I'd just lost my Dad, & honestly didn't give a fuck for anything, which is pretty much what I told him...He understood & mysteriously had enough cables to do whatever it was he was gonna do...He's family too (by marriage), but I still didn't care... :biggrin:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:02 pm
I almost posted the YT video of the song most remember from them, but didn't wanna aggravate you any more than you already are... :lollers:
I would not have clicked on it anyway.
Lol...I'd love to have saw that guy's face when you told him that...I bet that was priceless... :biggrin:

I've never had nicer gear than I have now, & I'd have a hard time letting anyone use what I have, much less the vintage amps you've got dude...I turned my nephew the preacher down on borrowing some mic cables a few years ago...He got upset, but I don't really care...That's when I was going through the divorce, I'd just lost my Dad, & honestly didn't give a fuck for anything, which is pretty much what I told him...He understood & mysteriously had enough cables to do whatever it was he was gonna do...He's family too (by marriage), but I still didn't care... :biggrin:
I don't quite understand why these fly-in bands just assume they're going to use other people's gear. Maybe the shitty promoters tell them they can? Maybe they think they're doing us some kind of favor by us opening for them? If that's what they think, they couldn't be more wrong. I'd rather stay home and watch TV than play with these fucking shit cheesy spandex bands. Whenever I hear the phrase "opening for a national" I immediately know it's some shitty fly-in gig or a band on tour that draws no one. I have zero respect for them and they will never ever ever use any of my gear. And especially not if they just assume they will. Not even a pick or a drum stick.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WOW!!!
That's funny as fuck unless you burst a major blood vessel in your head while in a full on greg-rage!
:lollers2:

!It's the promoter .... the drumber could actually be a nice guy.
They might not even know it's pay-to-play.
Their agent just tells 'em, "You've got a gig in Texas on the 25th" and they go. That's prolly all they even know.
You already know the promoter is a POS.

Their rider says a backline has to be provided ..... the promoter, who's already setting it up so the opening bands pay the headliner, also doesn't want to spend a dime on a backline so he jerks around the opening bands again.
Wouldn't work if they all said, "Fuck you!" .... but in todays "not many places to play or gigs that pay" world, bands are desperate to play.

I won't do pay-to-play and I also won't do the common "sell tickets to get paid" version either.
They have a pretty big music festival here in Deland called "The Original Music Festival" with about a dozen stages over a 3 day weekend
Some of us call it the "Music That's Not Very Good" Festival.

Anyway's a couple years ago they tried to get me to do it ..... no pay .... I get 20 tickets and can sell them for whatever I want.
I laughed at 'em and said no freakin' way!

I look forward to the tale of how this goes and the number of casualties.

:lollers:
rayc

Post by rayc »

I looked them up: the singer thinks he REALLY is Robert Plant and the band, well they seem to be a combo of Aerosmith and stolen blues strut riffs through high gain gear. I reckon the singer will be using something to raise his voice to those notes. The solo - 1st half was dive bomber & sky reaching whammy bar stuff followed by stock runs and the occasional pinched harmonic. Their new track/vid from this year sounds like they're channelling John Bonamassa's songs from Black Country Communion. They're really going to disappoint their original fans with the new stuff and disappoint everyone else with the new stuff too becasue it's sub Bonamassa.
Cheers
rayc