The gerg live and loud

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
vomitHatSteve

Re: The gerg live and loud

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:10 pm Whenever I hear the phrase "opening for a national" I immediately know it's some shitty fly-in gig or a band on tour that draws no one.
The trick is you've gotta find the "opening for international..." gigs. That way, the fly-in band is probably mostly funded by their country's arts and culture council or whatever, and it's not on the locals to underwrite the show!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:32 am

The trick is you've gotta find the "opening for international..." gigs. That way, the fly-in band is probably mostly funded by their country's arts and culture council or whatever, and it's not on the locals to underwrite the show!
I did mention The Vibrators. They were just as shitty as the spandex crap.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Nope. Not clicking on that.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:54 pm Nope. Not clicking on that.
watch the video greg. do it. i know you want to.

:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:55 pm
watch the video greg. do it. i know you want to.

Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:41 am
vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:32 am

I did mention The Vibrators. They were just as shitty as the spandex crap.
England doesn't count. They're just America Jr.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Case in point: some of my friends opened for Suld a month or so back. A Mongolian metal band with traditional instruments and throat singing.

I'm pretty sure that the 30 people who paid $10 each to attend that show did not cover production, plane tickets, amp rental, and instrument shipping without help from the Mongolian government.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:43 pm Case in point: some of my friends opened for Suld a month or so back. A Mongolian metal band with traditional instruments and throat singing.

I'm pretty sure that the 30 people who paid $10 each to attend that show did not cover production, plane tickets, amp rental, and instrument shipping without help from the Mongolian government.
Mongolia has a government?

I saw one of those bands at Riot Fest. The Hu. It was fucking weird.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:51 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:43 pm Case in point: some of my friends opened for Suld a month or so back. A Mongolian metal band with traditional instruments and throat singing.

Mongolia has a government?
It's probably functioning better than either of ours!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:37 pm
It's probably functioning better than either of ours!
I think any government, or even a total lack of government, functions better than ours.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Enough of one to ship multiple metal bands to the states to promote their culture at least.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

it's not bad until the 'fizzy' guitars come in
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg, its worth clicking on the link... 1) 'cos its so gut-wrenchingly cheesy, and 2) 'cos you want to make sure you chin the right person.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:48 pm Greg, its worth clicking on the link... 1) 'cos its so gut-wrenchingly cheesy, and 2) 'cos you want to make sure you chin the right person.
:lollers2: :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Well, the crappy gig went off without a hitch and I didn't have to punch anybody...although I certainly would have. As I suspected, the chickenshit greasy pinky-ring wearing "promoter" wasn't even fucking there. Didn't even show up.

And it's probably a good thing too, as all the bands were on the war path for that guy. Here all this time I thought I was gonna be the only one to destroy this piece of shit promoter, and it turns out I was not alone. And the primadonna drummer for the hair metal 80s leftovers? He was not the problem at all. All the shit he allegedly demanded? None of it happened. He was like "what? I never said any of that stuff". That was the promoter saying all that shit. I talked to the drummer that provided the kits and he was pretty livid too about the whole thing. The shitty promoter caused all of this drama between the bands and it was totally unnecessary. I'll do one more show with him just to get in his face but never again after that. And somehow, some way, we sold all of our tickets (I sold exactly zero) and we "won" the direct support spot....and drew the most people. We had more of our own people there than the spandex leftovers. The opening local band before us had a nice little turnout. Pretty sad that once again, "famous" band from the 80s can't out-draw a shitty local nothing band. Fuck these stupid "national" gigs. We need to play with better "nationals". I walked out and left just as they were hitting their first note and it was pretty sparse in there. Lame.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Sounds like it was fine in the end then.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I really hate playing backline drums though. Hate it. It's a double-edged sword. Sure, it's great to not have to bring anything but sticks and not have to set up anything. But it also sucks for me because I'm super particular about how the kit needs to be set up and if I can't get it just right it eats at my head and it makes drumming way harder than it needs to be.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:59 am Well, the crappy gig went off without a hitch and I didn't have to punch anybody...although I certainly would have. As I suspected, the chickenshit greasy pinky-ring wearing "promoter" wasn't even fucking there. Didn't even show up.

And it's probably a good thing too, as all the bands were on the war path for that guy. Here all this time I thought I was gonna be the only one to destroy this piece of shit promoter, and it turns out I was not alone. And the primadonna drummer for the hair metal 80s leftovers? He was not the problem at all. All the shit he allegedly demanded? None of it happened. He was like "what? I never said any of that stuff". That was the promoter saying all that shit. I talked to the drummer that provided the kits and he was pretty livid too about the whole thing. The shitty promoter caused all of this drama between the bands and it was totally unnecessary. I'll do one more show with him just to get in his face but never again after that. And somehow, some way, we sold all of our tickets (I sold exactly zero) and we "won" the direct support spot....and drew the most people. We had more of our own people there than the spandex leftovers. The opening local band before us had a nice little turnout. Pretty sad that once again, "famous" band from the 80s can't out-draw a shitty local nothing band. Fuck these stupid "national" gigs. We need to play with better "nationals". I walked out and left just as they were hitting their first note and it was pretty sparse in there. Lame.
Sounds like you need to do another gig for the scumbag promoter, make sure he's there, then treat him like the true bell-end he really is, in public to make sure word gets around...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:10 pm I really hate playing backline drums though. Hate it. It's a double-edged sword. Sure, it's great to not have to bring anything but sticks and not have to set up anything. But it also sucks for me because I'm super particular about how the kit needs to be set up and if I can't get it just right it eats at my head and it makes drumming way harder than it needs to be.
I hated using somebody else's gear way back when I did gig regularly...I can only imagine now, since I'm way more educated about gear/tone thanks to you guys here...

I'd love to go back in time with the gear I have sitting here in front of me now to play a few gigs... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs: