The gerg live and loud

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
Greg_L

Re: The gerg live and loud

Post by Greg_L »

I'm doing a one-off fill-in show on bass this friday. This will be my first gig since the covid wrecked the world.

I'm a good bass player, and the songs are easy, but I hate playing bass. I'm doing this as a return-the-favor for a guy that was gonna fill in for one of my bass players a while back. His regular bassist had a stroke! Fucking bass. Nothing good comes from it.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:23 pm I'm doing a one-off fill-in show on bass this friday. This will be my first gig since the covid wrecked the world.

I'm a good bass player, and the songs are easy, but I hate playing bass. I'm doing this as a return-the-favor for a guy that was gonna fill in for one of my bass players a while back. His regular bassist had a stroke! Fucking bass. Nothing good comes from it.
:lollers2: :lollers2:

Have some fun bubs. Don't die mmkay.
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:23 pm I'm doing a one-off fill-in show on bass this friday. This will be my first gig since the covid wrecked the world.

as a bass player I'll tell ya' what's fun about playing bass in case you missed it.

One is if you have a good rig to play thru ..... having that behind you is fun in itself.
I love a zillion watts of low-end power!

Also as a bass player you control the band ...... you can get them to go to the bridge when they didn't mean to and you can keep them from going to the bridge even when it's time by your note choices.
Not that you're gonna do that and screw them up but you could ..... drummers control tempo but bassists control arrangements ...... and actually a good bassist can control tempo too if it's not a really good drummer who won't budge.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I probably wouldn't hate bass if I got to play my songs and/or I wrote the bass parts. I like tracking bass on my recordings. I just don't want to be "the bass player" in a band.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:53 pm I probably wouldn't hate bass if I got to play my songs and/or I wrote the bass parts. I like tracking bass on my recordings. I just don't want to be "the bass player" in a band.
Hang out on them tonics! Take it easy!

Let the guitarist and vocalist work hard at the showboating. Let the drummer work hard at holding the rhythm down. Play some tonics and have a chill night playing some music without having to work at all!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:28 pm

Hang out on them tonics! Take it easy!

Let the guitarist and vocalist work hard at the showboating. Let the drummer work hard at holding the rhythm down. Play some tonics and have a chill night playing some music without having to work at all!
Can't. I go 100% all the time every time. :redface: :shred:
Rebel Yell