Pedals: The Musical

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: Pedals: The Musical

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:31 pm I think the last straw for me was several years ago there was a video where a handful of "youtube's hottest guitar heroes" got together at some convention and they each got to play a few licks through a dimed Marshall halfstack. Their reactions were either 1) fake, or 2) these guys have never been in front of an actual loud amp before. That was massively off-putting to me. How can you be some guitar guru but have never been in front of an actual loud amp before? Frauds, all of them. Frauds for never plugging into an average halfstack before and/or frauds for overplaying their reactions.
Lol. I remember that. The boggley eye guy set it up (who's actually toured with good bands). The only ones that had any idea what was going on were the Pedal Show guys. The rest of them were lost!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I have the same reaction - who are these guys? The only time I've heard them is when they're doing YouTubes.. what actual music have they made?

Don't' mind the Rabea guy who pops up on Andertons stuff - he at least looks a bit rock'n'roll, but most of the rest aren't very interesting, musically.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Also - I'm quite OK with generally disliking large discrete swathes of popular culture - such as musicals - as a default setting. I feel the same way about opera, disco and house music. Open to conversion. Don't like musical movies much either - but I'll cut West Side Story and Sound Of Music some slack. Never bothered watching Grease, though.

It's based on my general experience of generally disliking those particular forms of cultural expression. Not just hating on... :wink:

It also just seems like everything gets turned into a stage musical these days.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

:happytrees:
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:55 pm Don't' mind the Rabea guy who pops up on Andertons stuff
I don't mind him either. He's a good guitarist with a good sound... but he doesn't just sit there and shred with loads of delay.
He mainly plays riffs and has a recognisable style. He's also actually in bands and releases music. And he doesn't tend to talk for hours and do lifestyle vlogs - he mainly just plays.

I met him in Bristol a few years ago at a gig. He was really nice. Massive hands.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I find a lot of musician Youtube to be pretty hit or miss.

Stevie T just gets on my nerves
Guitar samurai isn't very good at any of what he does, but he does have access to a lot of interesting ideas.
Rob Scallon is great because he's just music nerd who's excited to talk to experts about their obscure instruments
Adam Neely (bass counts) is cool because he's mostly just repackaging his "proper" music education in video format.
The one kind of chubby guy who's always a little flushed is kind of funny.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:11 pm I find a lot of musician Youtube to be pretty hit or miss.

Stevie T just gets on my nerves
Guitar samurai isn't very good at any of what he does, but he does have access to a lot of interesting ideas.
Rob Scallon is great because he's just music nerd who's excited to talk to experts about their obscure instruments
Adam Neely (bass counts) is cool because he's mostly just repackaging his "proper" music education in video format.
The one kind of chubby guy who's always a little flushed is kind of funny.
I watch all of those guys pretty regularly. I have a soft spot for Guitar Samurai...I guess it's just because of his even-keel demeanor and he just seems like a genuinely nice guy.

Is the chubby guy the Scottish guy that does all of the short "meme" videos? That guy is pretty funny.

I've warmed to Rhett Shull a bit lately. I agree that he's just got that "something" that I don't like about his personality. But I've found myself watching more of his stuff lately. He's always got some excellent guitar tone going on, and he's more than competent as a player.

I still can't sit through an entire Beato video though.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:22 pm
Is the chubby guy the Scottish guy that does all of the short "meme" videos? That guy is pretty funny.
I think so, yeah.

I still can't sit through an entire Beato video though.
Same