Pedals: The Musical

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Tadpui

Pedals: The Musical

Post by Tadpui »

Surely some of you have seen this pop up on YouTube in the last week. Last weekend, JHS Pedals YouTube channel live-streamed 3 different performances of an actual musical theater production. It was historically accurate, silly as all hell, and actually really well done. Rhett Schull played guitar in the house band, using the actual pedals as they came up in the "story".

I genuinely detest musical theater for the most part, and this was undeniably silly. But it struck a chord with me for some reason. It's worth 27 minutes of your time if you know even a little about guitar pedals. The amount of work (and money) that must've gone into this is mind-boggling.

Tadpui

Re: Pedals: The Musical

Post by Tadpui »

And then they released this ridiculousness today:

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Wtf did I just watch
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:38 pm Wtf did I just watch
My sentiments exactly!

My wife was at work when I watched it last Saturday night. My texts to her as I was watching included the phrases "batshit nuts", "stupid", "bananas" and "actually well done".

I think that sums it up pretty well.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:09 pm

My sentiments exactly!

My wife was at work when I watched it last Saturday night. My texts to her as I was watching included the phrases "batshit nuts", "stupid", "bananas" and "actually well done".

I think that sums it up pretty well.
I think it was pretty ambitious and well done. I can't say I really liked it because frankly the subject matter doesn't mean much to me, but they pulled it off really well.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

When JHS goes live I go away: they get very frat. house and that bores me.
Rhett Shill makes it even worse.
LOTS of you tube guitar based channels are trying to hold/win viewers with the live stuff but - unless it's actually a band playing that I like I don't bother...too sloppy. I did try to watch it - the costumes are fine but to drag it through the pre, then the event then post even stuff...I'll return when they get a review/history ep. sorted.
Cheers
rayc
muttley

Post by muttley »

Ha, I like it and don't like it all at the same time.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Lost me about 2 mins in. But then, I hate musicals of all types. Except Cats, for which I've made an exception. Once.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Armistice wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:03 am Lost me about 2 mins in. But then, I hate musicals of all types. Except Cats, for which I've made an exception. Once.
Funny, I hate pretty much all musicals except Fiddler on the Roof.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
muttley

Post by muttley »

I like musicals because of some of the wonderful standards that have been written for them. Not sure any of these tunes will make the Jazz Fake book though.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:47 am
Lol right? Him being involved almost made me not watch it.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

love musicals when they're good ..... hate the modern sensibility of negatively judging everything because of hating it without actually watching/hearing it.
I'll watch this next week when i'm not so busy making money with music
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:57 am
rayc wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:47 am
I'm not sure what it is about him that I don't like. He's a good guitarist and has a good sound. But for some reason I just don't want to listen to him.
rayc

Post by rayc »

JD01 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:59 am
Greg_L wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:57 am

I'm not sure what it is about him that I don't like. He's a good guitarist and has a good sound. But for some reason I just don't want to listen to him.
Everything about him is annoying, the has a smug, elite attitude. He has very expensive gear. He makes blah music. His speaking voice is boring. Yes, good tone, plays well but...!!! I just tried to watch his recent vid about how to guitars players can cope with playing bass and it's awful, he's awful, his bass player, (yeah, you can use a pick if..... you want to...), is awful. When he goes on Beato or the JHS shows he's awful.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

It's not just him. I struggle with the entire youtube "guitar community". I can't stand any of them. I don't know what it is, but they all rub me the wrong way. I really don't know why. It's gotta be my own flaw but it still just is what it is. I can't watch them.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:08 am

It's not just him. I struggle with the entire youtube "guitar community". I can't stand any of them. I don't know what it is, but they all rub me the wrong way. I really don't know why. It's gotta be my own flaw but it still just is what it is. I can't watch them.
most of them act like their opinions are the final word and the only way to do things ...... since I don't like 'rules' when it comes to music that immediately turns me off
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:45 pm
most of them act like their opinions are the final word and the only way to do things ...... since I don't like 'rules' when it comes to music that immediately turns me off
I don't get that vibe from them. I think for me it's the simple fact that these are just shmoes with a video camera. There's no reason for them to be "famous". They haven't written anything or invented anything or done anything worthy of having credibility. They just know how to talk and make videos. It's like...why do I know who this fucking Rhett Shull guy is? I shouldn't. He hasn't done anything on my musical radar and nothing he does interests me. He's literally just some guy. But I still know who that fuckface is and that bothers me. I guess being able to capture a finicky internet audience and navigate social media is it's own talent for sure, but that's not a talent that really interests me.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:43 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:45 pm
I don't get that vibe from them. I think for me it's the simple fact that these are just shmoes with a video camera. There's no reason for them to be "famous". They haven't written anything or invented anything or done anything worthy of having credibility. They just know how to talk and make videos. It's like...why do I know who this fucking Rhett Shull guy is? I shouldn't. He hasn't done anything on my musical radar and nothing he does interests me. He's literally just some guy. But I still know who that fuckface is and that bothers me. I guess being able to capture a finicky internet audience and navigate social media is it's own talent for sure, but that's not a talent that really interests me.
It's this! They don't actually make records.

Thing is, Beato, like him or not actually does know what he's talking about and has produced loads or records.

Very few of these people have released much at all and there's loads of them, they all seem to get "famous" by promoting each other and being good at social media. They're not actually releasing music.

Theres something in particular about Rhett Schull though. I don't feel the same about that bloke from Denmark with the beard, he pops up from time to time but he comes across as friendly and informative.

Weirdly it's for this reason that the one I don't mind is Stevie T. He is pretty open that this vlogging is total bollocks and just has a laugh about it. He can be pretty annoying though... but then he's also not trying to make out that he's cool.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:10 pm

Thing is, Beato, like him or not actually does know what he's talking about and has produced loads or records.
No, he doesn't. He complains about how he keeps getting "copyright strikes" and mr bigshot can't figure out his way around it? Fuck him. Total fraud.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I think the last straw for me was several years ago there was a video where a handful of "youtube's hottest guitar heroes" got together at some convention and they each got to play a few licks through a dimed Marshall halfstack. Their reactions were either 1) fake, or 2) these guys have never been in front of an actual loud amp before. That was massively off-putting to me. How can you be some guitar guru but have never been in front of an actual loud amp before? Frauds, all of them. Frauds for never plugging into an average halfstack before and/or frauds for overplaying their reactions.
Rebel Yell