A discussion about buying 'puters

Troubleshooting your gear or shopping around for new stuff. This is where you need to be.
Lt. Bob

Re: A discussion about buying 'puters

Post by Lt. Bob »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:31 pm Sorry I haven't been much help yet, @Lt. Bob . It turned into a busy week (and an exceptionally lazy weekend). I'll take a look at what's on the market soon and report back.
I'm in no rush ..... this is just a discussion right now
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bob, you're not exactly a heavy user of loads of weird and resource heavy VSTs are you?
A fairly basic laptop should do you fine for your recording needs - my laptop isn't anything special and my projects are fairly large and include superior drummer.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

^ this - unless you REALLY want to get into video, recording music just isn't that resource intensive, even for those of us who use VSTI drums and reverbs and synths and a zillion plug ins. I don't think I've got my CPU usage up past 8% yet, on a 2014 vintage computer. The 2020 laptop I'm typing this on is way more powerful than my recording PC.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

My computer did a few strange things recently but I was running a dozen instances of a VST compressor that I don't normally use which was causing some issues.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:21 am Bob, you're not exactly a heavy user of loads of weird and resource heavy VSTs are you?
A fairly basic laptop should do you fine for your recording needs - my laptop isn't anything special and my projects are fairly large and include superior drummer.
I don't do anything but surf the 'net and Amazon on a 'puter .... absolutely not a single moment of recording and I have no VSTs or even apps on my phone.
But maybe in the next couple of years ..... there's pros and cons to it ...... so I'm just trying to understand the subject first
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:56 pm
JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:21 am Bob, you're not exactly a heavy user of loads of weird and resource heavy VSTs are you?
I don't do anything but surf the 'net and Amazon on a 'puter .... absolutely not a single moment of recording and I have no VSTs or even apps on my phone.
But maybe in the next couple of years ..... there's pros and cons to it ...... so I'm just trying to understand the subject first
In that case, I'd recommend one step above the budget laptop and you're good to go.