did someone ask for some eighties synth cheese?

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
itsnotkcearl

did someone ask for some eighties synth cheese?

Post by itsnotkcearl »

Im sure they did!

I think the vocoder timing's off a bit and I cant check back this version of the mix as my kids are napping...they nap for three hours and Im getting bored listening to it. Now you can too :punk:
Death, War, Discipline, weekends off.
miroslav

Re: did someone ask for some eighties synth cheese?

Post by miroslav »

Yeah...in some spots it's off, but not bad. The high bell sample is abut too bright/edgy...and I think you could use some low end lines under all of that stuff.

That is definitely cheesy.... :coolstorybro:
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Excellent vocoder :) :) I think the bell patch may be popping out due to key/pressure as the patch overall is good when it's at the "normal" level. Don't know for sure, just a wild guess by a guitar player. :coolstorybro:
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

well spotted guys...Id copied an EQ into the pluck synths channel and never noticed the bump in the high frequency

I might rerecord the vocoder...dunno if I can be arsed as its close....and its not as if Im making a record :D
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This sounds great to me - sounds a bit like something off the soundtrack to Drive. If you haven't heard it, you'll probably like it.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I think I've mentioned before that stuff like this is a real guilty secret of mine. I would never get into writing and recording this type of material - the learning curve is too steep - but I absolutely fuckin' love it. I find it highly pleasurable to listen to and you've done a marvellous job with it. I'm really into Public Service Broadcasting at the moment and this compares favourably. :biggrin:

If you're looking for nits, the only one I have is that the click on the kick sound is too much. It's distracting. Otherwise, I WANT MORE!! :mad:
Haggard Musician :mad:
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

JD01 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:30 am This sounds great to me - sounds a bit like something off the soundtrack to Drive. If you haven't heard it, you'll probably like it.
Ive seen the film a couple of times, the soundtracks great...I never think of buying film soundtracks. Best first 10 - 15 mins of any movie!

I love the soundtrack on Netflix's Stranger Things too.
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

Bubba wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:12 am I think I've mentioned before that stuff like this is a real guilty secret of mine. I would never get into writing and recording this type of material - the learning curve is too steep - but I absolutely fuckin' love it. I find it highly pleasurable to listen to and you've done a marvellous job with it. I'm really into Public Service Broadcasting at the moment and this compares favourably. :biggrin:

If you're looking for nits, the only one I have is that the click on the kick sound is too much. It's distracting. Otherwise, I WANT MORE!! :mad:
Geez thanks dude. My tastes are moving more towards the frivolous nowadays, much more fun than trying to be serious and urban. The Vocoders fun...that was just a test to try it out, just said the first things in my head...but I love the sound so much I just kept it in.

The TR505 has almost zero toning capabilities so I tried to layer another deeper kick in, but yeah it is clicky...Im buying up sub $100 vintage drum machines...so limited but they sound so retro I think.

Are you Sam Alerdyce on soundcloud? If so :lol:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

itsnotkcearl wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:19 am Are you Sam Alerdyce on soundcloud? If so :lol:
LOL, no - why would you ask that? :lollers2:
Haggard Musician :mad:
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

They just followed me I cant follow Sam Alerdyce back, it has to be someone I know :lol:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I think the click of the kick is too much and/or emphasized in the wrong frequency. I think the vocoder is too thick. Or maybe not. Is it supposed to make the vocals unintelligible? Maybe that's the style? I don't know. This is not anything I normally listen to so to me those are the only two things that jump out at me as an inexperienced listener of his kind of stuff. Other than the attack of the kick, the levels and balance all seems fine to me. Very old sounding, which I suppose is the point, so good job overall.
Rebel Yell
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

Thanks Greg, Im surprised you arent admitting you are gently swaying to the sounds of this and swinging your arms a little!

Yeah the drum machine is a stereo out, no toning capabilities, ive got loads of better options dunno why I chose it...the vocoder is pretty basic too, though
I could eq it more...its the sound of a VT-1

Ive finally made it back to the future with my farmers almanac or whatever it was ;)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

itsnotkcearl wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:18 pm Thanks Greg, Im surprised you arent admitting you are gently swaying to the sounds of this and swinging your arms a little!
My black lipstick and aqua net is in storage. I do have a pair of creepers somewhere though.
Rebel Yell
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

Glad to see youre still breaking into houses to fulfill your voyeur fantasies :D
rayc

Post by rayc »

Cool stuff kc. The bright & such as mentioned is probably right.
I have 2 505s!!!
I think the vocoder work is good - I quite like your voice though.
Is this made using your newest toys?
I dug it. I dig it.
I am STILL waiting for THAT certain song to be uploaded!!!
Cheers
rayc
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

Yeah all new toys, though Ive had the vocoder for a year just never used it. I bought the 505 to sequence an akai sampler...but I like its shitty sound. like a poor mans DMX or something!

That songs long gone with my ability to hold a tune lol
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Are you kids making vaporwave in here?! What did I tell you about vaporwave?!?!

Sounds pretty good.

Bells are a little harsh. Vocoder is kind of flat overall; it would probably benefit from more interesting chordings. Drums are kinda repetitive.

Those are really just nits tho.
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

As I use the vocoder more I can hopefully get better with it. Its literally the first time Ive turned it on, I know its limited but Im sure I can get more out of it. I get what youre saying with the drums but in truth Im very very lazy when it comes to drums...nearly everything I do is 4 bars!
heatmiser

Post by heatmiser »

Hey - Just giving this one another spin today.

Still sounds awfully good. I don't hear any timing issues with the vocoder? The whole thing sounds pretty tight to me.

I guess I can kinda hear some harshness in the bell sounds now that I've read it mentioned a few times, but not something I noticed the first time around. The whole thing is very warm and fuzzy, which is nice.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

sounds good to me .... I like 80's synth stuff myself ... me being all weird and everything

actually I'm not hearing any problems on my speakers .... the bass is a bit overmuch at times but that's exactly what that style calls for ..... I like the vocoder a lot.