Creating guitar tablature

A safe place for newbies. Stop in here to ask all your questions, no matter how silly they seem. Just don't ask us if you can sing!
DNPage

Creating guitar tablature

Post by DNPage »

Hi,

I realize this is likely off-topic but...

Recently, I was asked if I had any tabs for a couple of songs I recorded. I don't. Nor have I ever tried to write tablature for guitar.
Is there anyone in this community that, aside from recording, also scores their music and in particular, guitar tablature?

If so, do you do it manually or do you use a program/app? Which app/software do you use?

Thanks,

Dave
vomitHatSteve

Re: Creating guitar tablature

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I generally only do chord charts (which I do by hand), but I also usually prefer that anyone playing my song with me exercise their own artistic discretion for what they play

On the rare occasions I need tab for a specific part, I do it manually in Notepad.
DNPage

Post by DNPage »

That's pretty much what I've done when I am sharing a song with a group. Give them the lyrics and chords above the lyrics.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I did actually try a few tab apps a few years ago... they were invariably more hassle than they were worth and I just reverted to Notepad.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I had some program that I can't even remember - no longer on my PC - that would spit out tab, but it was an absolute nightmare to use.

The only serious piece I ever did I just used Notepad, like everyone else...

You'd think the tech would have a simple app for it by now, decoding the audio - can't be that hard. It wouldn't always be correct, but if it worked on root note positions that would do for most people.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

@DNPage

give this a try.

https://www.acousterr.com/transcribe-music

I am going to give a go when time permits just to see what it does. But if you already have audio ready to go nothing to lose by trying!!!
:happytrees:
DNPage

Post by DNPage »

Will do! Thanks for the link. I'll try it out tonight!
DNPage

Post by DNPage »

I checked out that software - I imported a clean acoustic guitar file and it did a terrible job so off to Google:

https://listoffreeware.com/best-free-gu ... e-windows/

Here at least are a bunch of editors that I can use to create tabs manually. Some look pretty good.

I figured I'd post those links for future reference.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Cool. Thank you.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

DNPage wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:14 pm I checked out that software - I imported a clean acoustic guitar file and it did a terrible job so off to Google:

https://listoffreeware.com/best-free-gu ... e-windows/

Here at least are a bunch of editors that I can use to create tabs manually. Some look pretty good.

I figured I'd post those links for future reference.
Yes it was garbage wasn't it lol!! I tried it with an old song of mine and it didn't even remotely come close. Sorry man. Good find on those other ones. I'll be curious to see how well some of those work.
:happytrees:
DNPage

Post by DNPage »

Melody Scanner https://melodyscanner.com/ is interesting and it is an online app. It did a decent job of converting a guitar instrumental to a musical score and tablature. It created the score and the guitar tablature but It would only allow me to edit the score, to change the tablature. Not terrible if you read music so a decent program all around. So there are programs out there if you dig enough and they will only get better!