NGD!!!!!!!

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

NGD!!!!!!!

Post by WhiskeyJack »

FINALLY!!!

It's done-ish? Sort of? . Definitely needs some upgrades for sure. But as it is right now it is playable!

This here is my Lefty Righty abomination against all that is holy. :lollers2: :lollers2: I made a promise to my wife in 2014 that i would not buy anymore guitars unless they were proper left handed bodies. I also wanted a telecaster and as you can see if you do the math is I just decided to build one. :happytrees:

You can skip over to here if you are new and i will have this thread updated later on with the saga that is this kit build.

But this turned out ok. I will micro examine and nitpick everything i did wrong over in the build thread so y'all can have a few good LOL's but for now this has a fork in it. Once i got the final bit of set up done on it last night I just played it for hours getting familiar with it. I really like it. the neck is a friggin' baseball bat, some serious chonk! Hardly any radius on the finger board. I dare say of all my guitars it is the "flattest" and I kind of like that. For a basswood body it is pretty chunky and heavy. I like that too. It feels great. I love a nice heavy weighty guitar. I don't play live so i give less than 0 fucks. I've not bothered to do my home work on teles to know if the neck is some sort of tribute or vintage spec or not but I really like it. it could just be "cheap offshore poorly made neck" and i am fine with that too if that is all it is. The sustain if any is pretty meh. it's there, but it could be better i wager. I'm not much of a fingerbanger so I'm not to choked up about that. The nut is plastic and was really gross to try and modify. That will eventually get an upgrade as well. for now it's good enough.

The tone knob does next to nothing. I basically don't hear any audible change until it is almost turned completely off. I will definitely upgrade the pots. These are just the little alpha pots I think? The pick ups aren't awful!! About on par with any Squire tele i have played in the past? I know for certain some doghouse pick up will be in this guitars future. I am going to play it first for a while though and then figure out what I can do to make this thing cooler.

This definitely won't be my last build but it definitely will be my last build that takes 4.5 years to complete!!!!! So stoked to have this "done"

Tones to follow some time this week!! :metal: :metal: :illdrinktothat: :cheers1: :minernuggs:
:happytrees:
JD01

Re: NGD!!!!!!!

Post by JD01 »

Nice one, Shan... so you finally got a lefty guitar and strung it righty!

Looks cool though.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Gotta hear some toans.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Awesome! I do like that colour. Sort of Gibson Pelham Blue. Think liv has an LP in that. :like:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I love that color. Very nice dude I'm glad you finally fucking finished it!
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

wait ...... I'm trying to grok this .... is Shan left handed?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:26 pm wait ...... I'm trying to grok this .... is Shan left handed?
Lol. yes. I am surprised you hadn't noted that in that video I sent you a few months back when your MiL passed. It's all good. The terrible musciianship likely made X out of it pretty fast haha. But yea, I'm a gimpy lefty. :happytrees:

thanks everyone. I am super stoked on this guitar. I haven't got much work done today because I have been stopping to play this thing off and on all day :lollers2: :lollers2: I'ts so much fun. And that holy grail reverb pedal sounds DEADLY with this.

I am thinking what i am liking so much is must be the scale length??? I am so used to like Gibson and Epiphone scale lengths and this is just entirely something else and i love it. It is pretty much exactly what i wanted. I am using the same gauge NYXL as i do on my LP, Epi and Sparrow. But they feel entirely different at this length. It's wild and i am in love. I can totally look past all of this guitars flaws and fuck up's and it is easily going to be an everyday player.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:07 pm I love that color. Very nice dude I'm glad you finally fucking finished it!
right? 4.5 years is bit extreme. :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:41 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:26 pm wait ...... I'm trying to grok this .... is Shan left handed?
Lol. yes.
ok .... next question .... why is it strung right handed?

Do you play upside down?
I know someone who does and plays very well that way.
i can do it a little bit.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:44 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:41 pm

Lol. yes.

Do you play upside down?
I do play upside down yes but i do not play it well. Some stuff is cumbersome and frustrating to do but it makes some other stuff kind of easier to do. As a lazy punk rock guy i just sort of incorporated alot of open ringy strings into how i wrote songs for me on guitar. I'll put that into my tones for you all later. The first riff i ever wrote was kind of like that. I dunno. It works for me. nothing special.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:58 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:44 pm

Do you play upside down?
I do play upside down yes but i do not play it well. Some stuff is cumbersome and frustrating to do but it makes some other stuff kind of easier to do. As a lazy punk rock guy i just sort of incorporated alot of open ringy strings into how i wrote songs for me on guitar. I'll put that into my tones for you all later. The first riff i ever wrote was kind of like that. I dunno. It works for me. nothing special.
google Gregg Wright .... I played with him in multiple bands and that's how he plays .... very good even if he is an A-hole.
Spmewhere along the line I ran into someone with a lefty strung lefty and I found that after watching Gregg I could play it.

There's certain things that sound different when played that way and in a cool way.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

That looks great, Shan. Love the finish color and the traditional Tele layout. All single-coil, 3-saddle bridge...that's a great Tele.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Love that color and fretboard combo, nice!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

It is a particularly nice colour combination
muttley

Post by muttley »

Good job buddy. Just like Pringles though, you can never stop at just one. :wink:

Guys our "shredder" and out "Metal head" are also a lefties. Coincidence? I think not... :metal: ....:shred:
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

Very nice! Have a ball!