CPU pops and crackles. . .

General recording topics.
Alison

CPU pops and crackles. . .

Post by Alison »

I'm not sure that this is the right place to pose this question but, I'm having some serious issues with lots of pops and crackles during playback on my DAW. I'm working on "I Try" and can barely get a mix out due to all the static and pops.
I've checked the performance monitor and have the drop out protection set to maximum but still, the CPU meter goes crazy! From 28% - 60 or 70%! :crazy: Has anyone else experienced this problem? I've tried all I can but nothing seems to help. I checked other recordings in my files and they are clean.
When I do export the mixdown and listen on my computer speakers, the pops and crackles are not there.
I have sent a help request to Presonus (I have Presonus Studio1 5 artist) but, you know how that goes. . . just thought I'd see if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks!
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
Armistice

Re: CPU pops and crackles. . .

Post by Armistice »

Are you doing anything different with this tune as opposed to others - more tracks, more CPU intensive plug ins (like reverb etc.)?

Are the statics and pops repeatable - ie. are they happening in the exact same spots every single time, or are they variable?

Do you have something scanning your PC in the background, such as antivirus software?

Have you tried freezing all the tracks (possibly as a separate file - ie. printing any effects onto the track itself to reduce CPU load) and if so, does it still happen?

There can be many many causes - best place to start is "What's changed with this tune?"
Alison

Post by Alison »

Armistice wrote: ↑Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:01 pm Are you doing anything different with this tune as opposed to others - more tracks, more CPU intensive plug ins (like reverb etc.)?

Are the statics and pops repeatable - ie. are they happening in the exact same spots every single time, or are they variable?

Do you have something scanning your PC in the background, such as antivirus software?

Have you tried freezing all the tracks (possibly as a separate file - ie. printing any effects onto the track itself to reduce CPU load) and if so, does it still happen?

There can be many many causes - best place to start is "What's changed with this tune?"
Well, I have a lot of tracks (for me, anyway!) Damn near every track has some kind of effect on it but, nothing I haven't used before.

The static pops and crackles seem to be pretty variable. I don't really think it's a scanning problem.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "freezing" the tracks or how to do that.

"What's changed"? I'm not sure except more reverb, effects. . . I will delve into that a bit more. It does seem that when I go into the performance monitor and turn off some effects, it does get better but, then, I want the effects! Ugh! It's a conundrum!!
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

@Alison
The first thing I would check is your buffer size. The smaller the buffer size, the higher the chance of hiccups.

When recording live tracks, you want the buffer size low for less latency.
When mixing and adding effects, you can raise the buffer size to accommodate for higher CPU usage.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Given the higher-than-normal number of tracks, and that most tracks have some effects, which effects? (Stock, third-party?) Asking because at least in Studio One v2, the "Room Reverb" plugin was much more CPU-intensive than the "MixVerb" plugin (both of those are stock PreSonus plugins).
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Alison wrote: ↑Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:22 pm
Armistice wrote: ↑Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:01 pm Are you doing anything different with this tune as opposed to others - more tracks, more CPU intensive plug ins (like reverb etc.)?

Well, I have a lot of tracks (for me, anyway!) Damn near every track has some kind of effect on it but, nothing I haven't used before.

The static pops and crackles seem to be pretty variable. I don't really think it's a scanning problem.

"What's changed"? I'm not sure except more reverb, effects. . . I will delve into that a bit more. It does seem that when I go into the performance monitor and turn off some effects, it does get better but, then, I want the effects! Ugh! It's a conundrum!!
Freezing means printing the effects onto the track itself (a separate one, or in a separate project), and using them, instead of the original tracks. That way, all your plug-ins are no longer operating. Not much use if you're still mixing, obviously, but will give you an indication. If that's too hard, then try just the reverb etc.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I know this may be an obvious one but it really never hurts to ask, but you are using the correct drivers for your audio interface or some kind of ASIO driver?!
:happytrees:
Alison

Post by Alison »

musicturtle wrote: ↑Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:48 pm @Alison
The first thing I would check is your buffer size. The smaller the buffer size, the higher the chance of hiccups.

When recording live tracks, you want the buffer size low for less latency.
When mixing and adding effects, you can raise the buffer size to accommodate for higher CPU usage.
How do you raise or lower the buffer size? I'll google it too :)
Alison

Post by Alison »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:26 am I know this may be an obvious one but it really never hurts to ask, but you are using the correct drivers for your audio interface or some kind of ASIO driver?!
This is embarrassing but, I have no idea. . .
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

well it's learnin' Time!!!

I also have no idea about any of those things since I don't 'puter-record.

These guys'll get you fixed up and I'll watch this to learn this stuff too.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Alison wrote: ↑Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:46 am How do you raise or lower the buffer size? I'll google it too :)
What interface are you using?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Calling @Tadpui your help is needed, mate. @Tadpui
Last edited by JD01 on Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Armistice wrote: ↑Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:03 am
Alison wrote: ↑Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:22 pm

Freezing means printing the effects onto the track itself (a separate one, or in a separate project), and using them, instead of the original tracks. That way, all your plug-ins are no longer operating. Not much use if you're still mixing, obviously, but will give you an indication. If that's too hard, then try just the reverb etc.
I think I get it. . .when I check the tracks in the performance monitor, I can see that it seems to be the Eq and reverb making the most noise!
Alison

Post by Alison »

musicturtle wrote: ↑Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:10 pm
Alison wrote: ↑Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:46 am How do you raise or lower the buffer size? I'll google it too :)
What interface are you using?
I'm using the Presonus Audiobox iTwo
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Id head over to Presonus' website and make sure you've got the latest drivers. Not sure if you're on Mac or Windows, but either way it'll be worth downloading and installing current drivers.

I'm not sure what Presonus is up to lately but all I see under their downloads section is "Universal Control". I'm not sure if that handles drivers or what...may as well give it a try.

https://www.presonus.com/products/Audio ... /downloads

Which DAW are you using? We can help navigate the settings to make sure youre all set up for optimum performance from your audio interface.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Quick update. . . I discovered that the driver for my DAW is Universal Control so, I did an update on it. That helped some. I also discovered how to increase the buffer in my performance monitor, which helped some. Still have a ways to go but it has gotten a bit better. Thanks for the suggestions. . .I'm learning a LOT! Now it's time to rest my poor aching brain! :headwall:
Alison

Post by Alison »

Tadpui wrote: ↑Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:39 pm Id head over to Presonus' website and make sure you've got the latest drivers. Not sure if you're on Mac or Windows, but either way it'll be worth downloading and installing current drivers.

I'm not sure what Presonus is up to lately but all I see under their downloads section is "Universal Control". I'm not sure if that handles drivers or what...may as well give it a try.

https://www.presonus.com/products/Audio ... /downloads

Which DAW are you using? We can help navigate the settings to make sure youre all set up for optimum performance from your audio interface.
Sorry, just saw this! Yes, Universal Control is apparently the driver for this software! I did an update and increased the buffer (to 512, I think?). Will I have to lower that when I record again? Still have some pops and crackles but not quite as bad.

I use PreSonus Studio 1 5 Artist (upgraded to version 5 in December)
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

One other thing to try in terms of freezing @Alison is to turn off everysingle effect or plugin you are using and seeing is the issue is plugin in related. Stuff like eq and compression doesnt typically bog your system own but for troubke shooting problems it might not hurt to start with those .

So turn them all off or disable them.

Dont delete them!!!!

Then start enabling them one at a time and starting playback and see where the culprit is if in fact it is a problematic plug in.
:happytrees:
Alison

Post by Alison »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:02 pm One other thing to try in terms of freezing @Alison is to turn off everysingle effect or plugin you are using and seeing is the issue is plugin in related. Stuff like eq and compression doesnt typically bog your system own but for troubke shooting problems it might not hurt to start with those .

So turn them all off or disable them.

Dont delete them!!!!

Then start enabling them one at a time and starting playback and see where the culprit is if in fact it is a problematic plug in.
Oh, good plan! Thanks, I'll get on it :)
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

SweetDan wrote: ↑Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:25 pm Given the higher-than-normal number of tracks, and that most tracks have some effects, which effects? (Stock, third-party?) Asking because at least in Studio One v2, the "Room Reverb" plugin was much more CPU-intensive than the "MixVerb" plugin (both of those are stock PreSonus plugins).
That would be my first impulse too. If you have more tracks than normal, and most of them have some kind of 'verb, you'll often run out of resources. ('verb tends to be a major RAM hog in general)

Freezing your tracks (which locks the FX in place so they're not processing any more) might go a long way to addressing your issue.