Fuzz

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Fuzz

Post by JD01 »

I know I want a fuzz, I've wanted one for a while.
But, some of them basically sound fucking horrible although some people say they're great, and some sound warm, gooey and amazing but some people say they're shit.

Anyone know of a good comparison critique of the different types of fuzz, Si, Ge, etc so I can try and work out what exactly I'm after.
Lt. Bob

Re: Fuzz

Post by Lt. Bob »

I also want a fuzz but have bought a couple and they suck so I'll be watching this.

I wish I had my Fuzzrite back .... the first pedal I ever bought
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'm generally really cynical about the pricing on fuzz pedals too... there's all these so called holy-grail fuzzes out there that are a) clones of 60s designs and, b) really expensive. They must have about 3 components in them. I'm not paying 150 quid for it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Serious question....wtf differentiates a good fuzz from a bad fuzz?

It has to just be ear of the beholder, right?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:41 pm Serious question....wtf differentiates a good fuzz from a bad fuzz?

Yeah - I've heard fuzzes I like, but I can't remember what they were. I think I quite like Muff type fuzz, but there's millions of them now too. :facepalm:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:41 pm Serious question....wtf differentiates a good fuzz from a bad fuzz?

well, my two fuzzes don't really get very 'fuzzy' so that would be a bad fuzz.
Even at full fuzz settings they don't get that splatty fuzzed out sound.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I'm still on my quest for the perfect fuzz. Or even one I like and works correctly...

The Muff fuzzes are mid-scooped. Ive got the Muffeletta and all of the circuits are different flavors of scooped out mids. I'm not a huge fan of any of them, but they're cool in the right context.

I think the fuzz I'm after is the Fuzz Face circuit that was originally done by Dallas Arbiter but is now with Dunlop. Hendrix made them famous but I've heard some really tasty sounds out of them by other players.

JHS has a great video out there that covers the different famous circuits. I think it's his legends of fuzz promo video, and there's another one too where he plays through several classic fuzz pedals. Actually the JHS 3 series fuzz sounds pretty damned good to me, and it's $99 USD.

I'd like to figure out which fuzz this guy uses. His tone is on point:
rayc

Post by rayc »

I like fuzz sometimes but not often...great for garage stuff but the really spluttery stop n go ones don't fit into many places - though when they do they're great.
I wouldn't buy a new one - I have a 20 year old Muff clone that'll do for now.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I love the Muff fuzz sound. Tho I haven't done a lot of comparisons between them

I've heard the swollen pickle is a similarly good fuzz, esp for bass
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I was gifted one of these a few years ago. Telesonic Dragonfly. Supposedly a russian clone of the Univox Superfuzz. I have futzed around woth it a bit lately on my dropped B guitar. Its pretty fun. Im not a fuzz or pedal cork sniffer so ita a big ol huge whatever to me.

Now, @JD01 the guys who made our hauntauns have recv'd some really high praise for their fuzz pedal offerings. You should have a look at what they have for sale. That no moon super pedal of theirs i want to say say is a three way combo of cloned tubescreamer, big muff and ratt circuity that can all be run individually or along sode one another? Its gain staging overkill but still pretty badass.

I have a few things i am selling here locally and i am fairly certain that will be my next pedal aquisition for sure.
20210207_181207.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah. I've seen the no moon. Actually ill have a browse through the IdiotBox site now.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

You should wait until Strymon put one out for 400 quid... :lollers:

Knob heaven. :biggrin:
paulman

Post by paulman »

I don’t have a comparison critique to recommend, but I can wholeheartedly endorse the Op Amp Big Muff Pi. I bought it last year when I put my new rig together, and it really is all it’s cracked up to be. It’s made to reproduce the Smashing Pumpkins fuzz sound, and Billy Corgan himself did a review of it and loved it. I don’t know if you’re interested in that particular sound, but it’s not a one trick pony.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:42 am
I really like Chris Buck. He lives near me actually and I've seen him live a couple of times.
BUT - he's really into "vintage" sounds. I will watch his video again though. I'm also gonna have to sit through the That Pedal Show on Fuzz... its 40 mins long... but like them or not, they do know what they're talking about.
rayc

Post by rayc »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:26 am
rayc wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:42 am
I really like Chris Buck. He lives near me actually and I've seen him live a couple of times.
BUT - he's really into "vintage" sounds. I will watch his video again though. I'm also gonna have to sit through the That Pedal Show on Fuzz... its 40 mins long... but like them or not, they do know what they're talking about.
I don't mind him...he knows about brevity. This vid was more a plug for the new pedal though useful. His mix of fingers, thumb n pick is mesmerizing.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

He's a brilliant guitarist... not just technically, he sounds good.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Fuzz pedals are weird, when other people use them I like them but when I use them I generally don’t like it. I have owned and tried a bunch though.

My favorites I owned were the Earthquaker Devices Black Ash and the JHS Mini Foot Fuzz. I wish I still had the black ash, I recently listened to a recording I used it on and realized I shouldn’t have sold it.

A couple years ago I sold an old original Big Muff for a guy at work and when I played it I enjoyed it. So I bought a new reissue and didn’t like it at all.

I’m sure I’ll try another eventually.

Good luck in your search.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:24 pm Fuzz pedals are weird, when other people use them I like them but when I use them I generally don’t like it.
Yes that!!!!

That's me. I hear people use fuzz and I'm all "yeah that sounds cool". Than I use one and I'm like "these things are fucking shit".
Rebel Yell