New Pro Stdio in Sydney almost Rivals YOUR Home Studio...

DIY Studio Stuff
rayc

New Pro Stdio in Sydney almost Rivals YOUR Home Studio...

Post by rayc »

Their Gear Page
A new Pro Studio has set up in Sydney: in the old studio/music heart of the city even.
The image used in their sponsored post on Facebook is a little underwhelming though.
The gear list? Well, Tad's room throws A LOT of shade on it and, I suspect, quite a few of you would do similar.
AUS$280 for 8 hours in the studio is more than cheap though.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Re: New Pro Stdio in Sydney almost Rivals YOUR Home Studio...

Post by Armistice »

LOL - you can't hire an unskilled labourer for 8 hours for $280. Good luck to the guy, but I suspect he won't be around in 12 months' time.

I wonder why you start your gear list with 4 moderately powered computer specs - like that's meaningful to someone looking for recording services. Like listing the tyres at the top when you're renting a car... you assume it'll have tyres, but you probably don't want to know much detail.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:22 am Like listing the tyres at the top when you're renting a car... you assume it'll have tyres, but you probably don't want to know much detail.
:lollers2:

I'm assuming the price quoted is just to rent the space and doesn't come with a recording engineer.
rayc

Post by rayc »

It's a weird set up of pointy guitars and metal leaning FX.
I don't hate Behringer but I wouldn't promo a set up that used so much of it unless I was trying to scream budget...the E-Drums suggest they don't have the space either.
I looked up those Mac things - they really are modest aren't they.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

When I get all of my gear, figure out my grounding issues, and Covid passes, I’m thinking of promoting my studio in my hometown for $15 an hour for singers/songwriters who just want to get a recording of their stuff. No drums. I suspect I’ll get a few bites but I’m definitely not expecting to make anything other than pocket cash here.

Unfortunately I may have to move to figure out the grounding issues. Fortunately, I won’t be here for long, anyway.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:57 am
Armistice wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:22 am Like listing the tyres at the top when you're renting a car... you assume it'll have tyres, but you probably don't want to know much detail.

I'm assuming the price quoted is just to rent the space and doesn't come with a recording engineer.
No, that's including the engineer. Now when he mixes it for you he's put his price up to $50/hour and who knows how long that takes, so I'm sure that's part of the deal - yep, you tracked two songs in your $280 session, now it'll take Mr Engineer another (alleged) 8 hours to mix them for you and another $50 each to master.... etc.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:30 am
JD01 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:57 am

No, that's including the engineer. Now when he mixes it for you he's put his price up to $50/hour and who knows how long that takes, so I'm sure that's part of the deal - yep, you tracked two songs in your $280 session, now it'll take Mr Engineer another (alleged) 8 hours to mix them for you and another $50 each to master.... etc.
jesus - he's cutting his margins fine. Aside from it being weird that he lists his computers first. He has got quite a lot of nice stuff there.
I suppose the difference for most of us (except @Tadpui) is that we have the gear that we need to do what we want to do... whereas someone like that has to anticipate the needs of various clients.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

In the 80's I used to record bands and charged .... hell, I think we charged 100 bucks a song .... no real time limits.

But we were enjoying recording so we got to experience that aspect of it and made enough money to buy gear with ..... it was never meant to be our primary income.
We were recording all the time anyways.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I only record friends and good acquaintances and my own various projects. The most I charge is maybe like 50-60 bucks a song and some pizza. I'm not letting anyone camp out over here forever to work on one stupid song. I'm not letting anyone write or experiment on my time and in my space. Everyone I deal with is prepared and can just knock their stuff out.
Rebel Yell