GOING DAWLESS the Latest and Very Fake Trend

This should be self explanatory.
rayc

GOING DAWLESS the Latest and Very Fake Trend

Post by rayc »

There're several or many videos on Utude recently when the "YouTuber", "Content maker" &/or "Influencer" claims to have gone DAWLESS.
They do have even more commonality - they're promoting a unit - be it Zoom, Behringer or similar.
They extol the virtues of a fully featured mixer not tethered to a computer.
They all have, however, a stand alone DIGITAL recorder, AUDIO mixer, WORKSTATION as the focus of their video.
I've called a couple out for false advertising and lying but I can't be bother with more than that.
It does demonstrate that some of these people will lie, cheat & steal for the Yankee Dollar.
[bbvideo]https://youtu.be/xu9EMDT9_Ug[/bbvideo]
[bbvideo]https://youtu.be/6BR5LBCBesc[/bbvideo]
[bbvideo]https://youtu.be/DHWF7Z-X9xM[/bbvideo]
[bbvideo]https://youtu.be/ihgt7QdCjUQ[/bbvideo]
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Re: GOING DAWLESS the Latest and Very Fake Trend

Post by Greg_L »

They will go clickless too because I aint watching their shit. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

ummmmm .......... so the way my studio has always been then?

Never had a DAW .... always had a big mixer and digital recorder set up ...... all patchbays and analog connections and not a screen in sight
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Look mum no computer is pretty cool, but he is mostly talking about synths
rayc

Post by rayc »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:44 am ummmmm .......... so the way my studio has always been then?

Never had a DAW .... always had a big mixer and digital recorder set up ...... all patchbays and analog connections and not a screen in sight
Pretty much...everything becomes new again so you're in the vanguard once more.
The people in the video are using a DAW just not in a computer.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I stopped making this point years ago but a Digital Audio Workstation was actually a reference to an all-in-one standalone box, and there should have been a new name when it shifted into a computer using software.

We don't have funky pretend names for other uses for our PCs. Reaper etc is just software, and as you need an interface to use it, a singular descriptor such as DAW doesn't really, linguistically, work for a collection of PC, software and interface.

Just a trend. As someone who came late to the software approach from an actual DAW, I'd never go back.

Interesting comments on the first video - like the guy has just done something amazing... :lollers:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:40 pm I stopped making this point years ago but a Digital Audio Workstation was actually a reference to an all-in-one standalone box, and there should have been a new name when it shifted into a computer using software.
Just a trend. As someone who came late to the software approach from an actual DAW, I'd never go back.
Interesting comments on the first video - like the guy has just done something amazing... :lollers:
Yep,
the definition morphed to computer software.
I have two stand alone DAW machines and one stand alone analogue audio work station.
I use some of the FX in the two digitals and sometimes track things to tape for fun but they're not viable replacements for the computer unless I return to disciplined, preplanned tracking.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

rayc wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:18 pm
I have two stand alone DAW machines and one stand alone analogue audio work station.
what kind?
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:40 pm
We don't have funky pretend names for other uses for our PCs. Reaper etc is just software, and as you need an interface to use it, a singular descriptor such as DAW doesn't really, linguistically, work for a collection of PC, software and interface.
Sure we do!

Server, thin client, cloud, botnet, point of sale, terminal, media center. I bet the PCs attached to c+c machines have a special name.

Sure DAWs are a lot more likely to be used for both audio and general use applications, but when a PC is customized for a specific application, it often gets a nickname
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

My "DAW" is also my video editing machine - it must need an additional name. So confused...
rayc

Post by rayc »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:28 am
rayc wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:18 pm I have two stand alone DAW machines and one stand alone analogue audio work station.
what kind?
Roland Disclab CDX-1 (requires CDRW to record and only has 16meg of RAM).
disclab.jpg
Roland/Zoom R16 (really very powerful, can be used as an interface to a comp as well as a control surface for Reaper etc.).
r16.jpg
Yamaha MT100 porta studio (four track mega fun).
MT100.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

My computer does my music stuff and literally nothing else....besides typing junk in here.
Rebel Yell
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

I've got 2 Zoom R 24's. I used to use them in conjunction with an Allen and Heath Mixwizard 16 in order to multi track gigs (slaving one to other for 16 total live tracks). I occasionally used one as a stand alone but I found them somewhat difficult to work with that way so I didn't do that often. I much prefer my Behringer XR 18 Air or X32 Rack hooked up to a laptop or a computer for mobile recording now. But I still have the 2 Zooms because I tend not to sell gear.