New Gear Day

General recording topics.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: New Gear Day

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:51 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:40 am records??
Didn't know you were a vinyl guy
WJ loves his vinyl! A couple of years ago I actually picked up a record at a show, got it signed and posted it to him up in the Arctic!
Truly thankful you did to JD! I would have preferred to fly over and go with you but it just wasn;'t financially or professionally possible at the time.

now, if I had of known the world would be shut down for months on end a few years later i would have said FUCK ALL THAT I'M GOING TO WALES!!!

Lesson Learned. :like:

It's a great record too! It's gets a fairly regular spin.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:34 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:51 am
WJ loves his vinyl! A couple of years ago I actually picked up a record at a show, got it signed and posted it to him up in the Arctic!
Truly thankful you did to JD! I would have preferred to fly over and go with you but it just wasn;'t financially or professionally possible at the time.

now, if I had of known the world would be shut down for months on end a few years later i would have said FUCK ALL THAT I'M GOING TO WALES!!!

Bizarre... the show was in England.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:56 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:34 pm

you know what i meant. :spacepalm:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

@WhiskeyJack I considered putting my songs on a record. It costs about $100.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:04 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:56 pm
you know what i meant. :spacepalm:
You right though. If you and the Mrs had fucked off for a week in the UK you wouldn't have regretted it.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:32 pm

I love me some vinyl @Lt. Bob Love it. Though i have no where near 6500 records dude! :eep: That is just outstanding. I don't even think my favorite record store in Edmonton has that in it's stock haha!!! Where the hell do you store it all??? I might have, 100 here with me in Alberta then maybe another 50 or so back in Nova Scotia. The biggest part of my music collecting was done in the height of CD's. I have been slowly replacing a lot of my old favorite CD's with records.

I definitely do not have a kick ass system like you either. I have an old cabinet circa I believe 1965 or 1966 for listening.

It sounds 'good' but it definitely isn't audiophile quality. Someone such as your self would like cringe at what comes out of it maybe? For me I am bit of a history olden times nerd so i really like that I get to hear this stuff as people would have heard it back then. That solid walnut cabinet and analog goodness is what make that sound good to me. I just love it. there is eve na smell to it when i fire it up and it is a multi sensory experience. I was given a more modern box store Victrola turntable. you know the kind? It's new but made to look old? I didn't like it. It didn't sound the way that big oversized cabinet sounded. I REALLY like the sound of modern records coming thru that particular system the way it does. It just sounds so good! My wife like to listen to old country records or her Anne Murray stuff on it. Christmas time rolls around and that thing is on pretty much 24-7. either the radio or the records she grew up on.

If i have a bad day or just need an escape i pour a glass of bourbon, chuck a record on and just put my feet up and kick back like some people do with Netflix. I much rather my records than Netflix.

I will say this, that cabinet despite it not being audiophile quality, it sounds heaps and heaps better than any Bluetooth speaker I have ever heard. Ever.

I have made a promise to myself that if I can ever get my shit together to hammer out at least two or three songs it's going on a little 7" I don't care what the cost is. :lollers2: :lollers2: I might even see if i can twist the ska bands arm to maybe press a few records when we finish this next batch of songs. :metal: :metal:
Well ..... shelves .... lol .... . they go on shelves ........ the pic below has about 800 of them and is part of the room treatment in my studio.
As for your system you might find I'm not a record gear snob anymore than I am a guitar gear snob.
i kinda like it all and, in fact, back in BR my living room system was one of those old console types like you have.
A little different in that one side is larger holding the amp/turntable etc and one side of the speaker and a similar smaller cab holding the second speaker.
but the same sorta thing ...... it's out in the garage right now as we have no room for it at the inn.

Thing about those old systems is that they actually sound pretty good.
In fact they have a certain sound that you can't get with more modern ostensibly better gear.

Back then they tuned this stuff to sound good and they worked with what they had.
So the adjusted those old crappy looking dinky drivers to sound as good as they could and in the end had them sounding quite good.

A coherent sound that modern stuff often misses because they spent more time actually listening and choosing stuff based on that.
I have no doubt your system is great to listen to!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:01 pm Well ..... shelves .... lol .... . they go on shelves ........ the pic below has about 800 of them and is part of the room treatment in my studio.
As for your system you might find I'm not a record gear snob anymore than I am a guitar gear snob.
i kinda like it all and, in fact, back in BR my living room system was one of those old console types like you have.
A little different in that one side is larger holding the amp/turntable etc and one side of the speaker and a similar smaller cab holding the second speaker.
but the same sorta thing ...... it's out in the garage right now as we have no room for it at the inn.

In fact they have a certain sound that you can't get with more modern ostensibly better gear.

Back then they tuned this stuff to sound good and they worked with what they had.
So the adjusted those old crappy looking dinky drivers to sound as good as they could and in the end had them sounding quite good.

A coherent sound that modern stuff often misses because they spent more time actually listening and choosing stuff based on that.
Ok that is about what i pictured. At first I was trying to place 6500 records in your house somewhere but that pic helps put it into perspective! Very very cool! My wife found a thing on her girl internet that she wants me to build for our storage but really how many ways are there to store records other than what you have or one of those old plastic milk crates! She found this floating wall shelf storage thing with built in LED's that could also double as a shelf for plants. So... That may be on my chore list for this summer.

Regardless, if you have a copy of Marty Robbins Gunfighter Ballads I would very happily take it off your hands when you are done with it! :happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:50 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:01 pm Well ..... shelves .... lol .... . they go on shelves ........ the pic below has about 800 of them and is part of the room treatment in my studio.

Ok that is about what i pictured. At first I was trying to place 6500 records in your house somewhere but that pic helps put it into perspective! Very very cool! My wife found a thing on her girl internet that she wants me to build for our storage but really how many ways are there to store records other than what you have or one of those old plastic milk crates! She found this floating wall shelf storage thing with built in LED's that could also double as a shelf for plants. So... That may be on my chore list for this summer.

Regardless, if you have a copy of Marty Robbins Gunfighter Ballads I would very happily take it off your hands when you are done with it! :happytrees:
I'll keep an eye out for it ...... I have so many that I'm not totally sure what I have.
I have another room that's shelved all the way around and that's where most of the others are.
If your collection is going to be modest there's any number of shelving units, even Ikea, that'll handle a few hundred ...... after that you really get to where you need to build something specifically for them.
A LOT of my records were free because when CDs temporarily did away with LPs everyone was just giving them away and even the flea markets charged 1 or 2 dollars a record.
I'd come back every weekend with 30-100 records!

I still buy vinyl today ( as do you apparently ) but it's a bit pricier.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Lmao at “her girl internet” :lollers2:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:21 am

Lmao at “her girl internet” :lollers2:
:biggrin:

You know what i mean though. pinterest and whatever else part of the internet i don't go on.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

DAY 58. GIVE IT UP FOR DAY 58 WHERE MY GEAR HASN’T SHIPPED YET.

The preamp and power conditioner should arrive at their facility soon. They told me the compressor has no eta. Wtf.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

😯
rayc

Post by rayc »

I'm slowly planning how to pack up by 1000+ LPs and about double that in CDs for THE MOVE.
There seem to be no sealable, stackable containers available. I'm about to trial some tubs that will fit LPs but can't be stacked.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

And just as I posted the last comment, the preamp has shipped! Huzzah!
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:59 pm I'm slowly planning how to pack up by 1000+ LPs and about double that in CDs for THE MOVE.
There seem to be no sealable, stackable containers available. I'm about to trial some tubs that will fit LPs but can't be stacked.
Damn, all my CDs fit in one drawer for me. I only have CDs of my favorite albums of all time, so there’s no more than 50.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:38 pm And just as I posted the last comment, the preamp has shipped! Huzzah!
The Universe is listening. :like:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Rack is filling in.

Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:59 pm I'm slowly planning how to pack up by 1000+ LPs and about double that in CDs for THE MOVE.
I don't have many LPs but I packed mine up in cardboard wine boxes - seemed a good fit. I'm talking specific wine boxes for wine that's delivered to your door via a shipping company, not the ones that you can pick up in any bottle shop. These are much thicker - still not sure I'd stack more than a couple high, though.

At least your MOVE is going. Mine's been derailed by the lack of properties and endless back on forth on our strategy both in terms of price and position - perhaps I should just outsource the job to Kim? Difficult to be decisive when there are so many countervailing unknowns in play. I'm hoping to kickstart it again in a week or so following the auction of a property in Marrickville which I'm watching - the only thing it has in common with my place is that it's unusual - so I'm going to attend the auction next Wednesday evening to try to see (a) how much it gets - if it sells, and (b) what the "feel" is like in terms of bidding. Then I'll decide to list or not list. I've headed back to selling before buying so I have an exact idea on budget. And then the upcoming school holidays are going to get in my way, I suspect. Sigh... :mad2:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

@rayc
I had to move 6000+ LPs when we moved to Florida .... I don't know if you have a U-Haul or equivalent but if you do they have cardboard boxes 12x12"x18". And I think you can get that size pretty much anywhere you can get boxes and I think because of how records pack in them, they'd be far better than totes ....
A record fits in them perfectly with no room to move around and you can get about 110-120 per box and they're straight up with no angled or curved walls like almost all totes have..
And you can stack them really as much as 3 high if you have to.
Or two high with lighter stuff on top because they're basically big solid boxes of plastic when packed full in one of those boxes and can hold some weight with no problem.
When I put them in the moving van I stacked them two high and then a piece of 1/4" wood and then another layer and then stuff on top of that.

Here's some that I've haven't unpacked and are using for a table. Those boxes in the back ... those are all records...... actually I've moved them in the last couple of months but they were fine and were a table for 14 years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:08 pm Rack is filling in.

Nice! I've never played around with the MPA, but I've heard good things. I just swapped out my PRO VLA II for a TransY this weekend, and I love this thing so far. ART makes good stuff.