New Gear Day

General recording topics.
Tadpui

Re: New Gear Day

Post by Tadpui »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:59 pm yeah, at some point you should look at what you're doing with it.
Will a U87 really be such an improvement that you finally like your own voice?
doubt it

If you're a studio for hire then it's actually a credential to have one and makes sense for that.

But for recording ...... I've heard far too many excellent vocals done with all sorts of stuff including just an old SM-58 to not realize it's what you do with what you have and NOT what you have is what makes you do.
Oh believe me, I know that fancy gear won't save my recordings :D

I've got a few pieces of premium world-class gear, and I got them all for one simple reason: I wanted them. That's kinda the same thing with a U87...there's no universe in which it would make my vocals or guitar or drums better, but I've always wanted one. One day, I'll have one (or that pair that is still haunting me). I just think it'd be cool to own and use a pair of such a renowned mic.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

I got an SSL alpha channel and now many people have contacted me to record in my studio! Should be fun!
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
rayc

Post by rayc »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:34 am I got an SSL alpha channel and now many people have contacted me to record in my studio! Should be fun!
Man, your spending like you need peppermint oil suppositories, (GAS pun).
Nice gear you're scoring though.
How's the room treatment coming along?
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:20 am
CrowsofFritz wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:34 am I got an SSL alpha channel and now many people have contacted me to record in my studio! Should be fun!
Man, your spending like you need peppermint oil suppositories, (GAS pun).
Nice gear you're scoring though.
How's the room treatment coming along?
That was the last purchase I think (except for maybe an RE20. There’s no more space on my rack and I ain’t buying another lol.

Room treatment is okay. When I advertised my studio, I told people I’m not recording loud things (drums, loud amps, etc.) so unless someone is like an opera singer, the room acoustics should have a minimal effect on the recordings.

Hopefully these guys stay a couple hours (I’m charging by the hour) it’s nice to have the gear (sorta) pay for itself.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

And just like that ANOTHER person booked me just now. Since I got the SSL, I’ve been getting tons of requests. Coincidence? Probably... :lollers2:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:38 am I told people I’m not recording loud things
Then wtf are you recording? ASMR?
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:44 am
CrowsofFritz wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:38 am I told people I’m not recording loud things
Then wtf are you recording? ASMR?
Like acoustic guitar, vocals, piano, I’ll record amps, too, if it’s not too loud. Like not Marshall half stack loud is what I mean.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ASMR actually really helps me sleep.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I like binaural but most ASMR is just creepy.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Well, I screened the people that contacted me by looking them up on Facebook and one woman is utterly cray cray. So I’m going to avoid that one lol
rayc

Post by rayc »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:41 pm Well, I screened the people that contacted me by looking them up on Facebook and one woman is utterly cray cray. So I’m going to avoid that one lol
Better get your emergency exist posters, customers entry, disability access, fire blanket, 1st Aid Kit, other room locks, toilet necessities and coffee making stuff, kitty of cash for change, hidden security cameras, (one for the outside and one for the room - don't want any gear disappearing while you're in the lavatory), external locks/security etc. sorted then. Oh, and the ubiquitous "CREDIT MAKES ENEMIES - LET'S BE FRIENDS" sign.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I can't imagine trying to do this for money. Good luck Crows! Actually I can't imagine doing this for free for other people at all... because I suspect their inability to play at the required standard would frustrate the fuck out of me. Over the years I've learned to be very calm about my own playing when recording... not so with others, so far. I have sort of offered to help out a few people - and I'm sort of hoping they never take me up on it. Although bit hard now I've moved interstate. :lollers:

Good way to run up the hourly tab - "Sorry, not good enough, we'll need to do another couple of takes..."
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Thanks @Armistice

It’ll be something fun that puts a little more money in my pocket. Just hope I get no weirdos lol
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Recorded a client today. Having done this for two months now, I've found it's so much easier to record other people than it is to record myself. Getting right mic placement and all that. This guy was a much better singer and guitar player than I am. Made me feel like shit, but I at least got a good sound because of it. Barely did any EQ and compression. Some reverb. It cuts off at the very end because I had the end marker for the first take instead of the second one, and I'm too lazy to fix it right now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Nice vocal capture but that bass is BOOOOOMY. I expect it's the guitar bass strings ...they need taming.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I'd usually heavily high pass acoustic guitar in a mix, depending upon where/how I'd mic'd and what the guitar was. And especially for finger style where you're hitting those bass strings with your thumb, making a generally duller sound.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:15 pm Nice vocal capture but that bass is BOOOOOMY. I expect it's the guitar bass strings ...they need taming.
It’s an actual bass. I’m trying to convince him he doesn’t need it. A Beatles bass just doesn’t work here lol
rayc

Post by rayc »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:36 pm
rayc wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:15 pm Nice vocal capture but that bass is BOOOOOMY. I expect it's the guitar bass strings ...they need taming.
It’s an actual bass. I’m trying to convince him he doesn’t need it. A Beatles bass just doesn’t work here lol
Man that's woollier than a mammoth.
EQ and compression as well as levels will help but as it stands... eeek!
As an MP3 a high pass on the mix at 95hz makes it seem reasonable but, really, that bass is all dull thud and unattractive with it - I suspect it's worse as a .wav file. Hofner basses don't sound fab at the best of times but that needs to be tightened significantly.
If that songs gets out, as is, people will associate you with uncontrolled bass and bad mixing.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

He takes my suggestions seriously, so it will probably be axed. Here it is without bass and with the ending not cut off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Yeah, sounds better. I reckon a decent stereo in a living room would have speakers dancing with that bass as it was.
You could treat the bass to make it better if he's super keen.
Cheers
rayc