New Gear Day

General recording topics.
CrowsofFritz

Re: New Gear Day

Post by CrowsofFritz »

I’ve been extremely frugal these last several paychecks and didn’t realize just how much I can freaking save.

So far I’ve put half of my money left right before each paycheck into my actual savings that was drained since the car problems and the other half into my gear addiction savings.

I saw a listing on Reverb for a Vox AC15 amp head for several hundreds less brand new. I grabbed it. FFS my smooth brain should have read the dimensions because it’s way fucking bigger than I thought it’d be. It’s a good 6 inches wider than my Vox T25 bass amp, and I wanted the amp head to sit on top so I can access both in the same place.

Well that idea is gone. Oh well.

If I continue my frugalness (not quite to the point of ramen every night but close), I can continue to build up my actual savings again and buy a cabinet for this chonker somewhat soon.

Now to wait patiently for another deal on reverb. While this had a significant chunk of money off MSRP, my best deal is still that TASCAM mixer for $100. Not sure anything will top it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:51 am :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
It’s funny, 5 years ago, you never would have caught me dead with a Vox. I was team Fender. Those were the only amps I really wanted for my sound.

But after hearing many tones where a Vox was involved, playing through an AC30 combo, among other little reasons, I’ve jumped ships.

I still think Fender produces the best glassy cleans, but Vox’s distortion has more that sound I want.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:13 pm

It’s funny, 5 years ago, you never would have caught me dead with a Vox. I was team Fender. Those were the only amps I really wanted for my sound.

But after hearing many tones where a Vox was involved, playing through an AC30 combo, among other little reasons, I’ve jumped ships.

I still think Fender produces the best glassy cleans, but Vox’s distortion has more that sound I want.
I often like the Vox sound when other people use them. They sound great. They pretty much never do it for me though. They occupy this amplifier no-man's-land that I don't go into. I think Fender cleans are way better, and Marshall dirt is way way better, so there's unfortunately no place for Vox in my world. I do plan on building a JMI-era correct AC30 with Top Boost though. Some day.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Nice. Tube Vox is way better than solid state.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I believe my Laney 30w combo is a Vox AC30 clone. Apparently. I wonder if it still works...

Nice score Fritzy!
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Finally got around to getting a longer cable for the computer and got a computer like keyboard keyboard for computer synths stuff. Will test it out over the weekend!
IMG_1825.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

When I get a bigger recording space the first thing I want to fill it with is a few more amps. I really want a 1W Marshall head and a Fender Blues Jr.

I also got a new JHS Reverb and a Carbon Copy delay.. haven't had time to use them yet though.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

JD01 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:15 am When I get a bigger recording space the first thing I want to fill it with is a few more amps. I really want a 1W Marshall head and a Fender Blues Jr.

I also got a new JHS Reverb and a Carbon Copy delay.. haven't had time to use them yet though.
I STILL have an amp head but no cabinet for it. I guess I’ve put it off because I never have time to be able to use that. It has to be personal free time when my roommate is not here, my landlord isn’t in his office downstairs, and it’s not night sleepy time. Almost never.

Did you post that reverb?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:15 am Fender Blues Jr.
WTF why
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:19 am
JD01 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:15 am Fender Blues Jr.
WTF why
no shit .... super over rated amp
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:39 am
Greg_L wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:19 am

WTF why
no shit .... super over rated amp
Ah, every time I've played through them I've quite liked them. I quite fancy a little clean amp. I don't think Fender do any small heads.
I'll have a bit more space when I build the new room. Its not like I'm putting the 3rd floor on next week
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Oh, the JHS Reverb is nice by the way - doesn't do anything fancy, its just a nice sounding reverb when is usable throughout the range of the knobs with no fancy bells and whistles or modulation.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:39 am no shit .... super over rated amp
The worst shit quality too. :facepalm2:
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:17 am
JD01 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:15 am When I get a bigger recording space the first thing I want to fill it with is a few more amps. I really want a 1W Marshall head and a Fender Blues Jr.

I STILL have an amp head but no cabinet for it. I guess I’ve put it off because I never have time to be able to use that. It has to be personal free time when my roommate is not here, my landlord isn’t in his office downstairs, and it’s not night sleepy time. Almost never.

When I have unlimited free time, I'll finally rebuild my beer case cabinet. It'll be a 4x2 + 1x4 tho, so I don't know if i can run a real head through it.

JD, you'll have to let me borrow your 1W Marshall.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:47 am
CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:17 am

When I have unlimited free time, I'll finally rebuild my beer case cabinet. It'll be a 4x2 + 1x4 tho, so I don't know if i can run a real head through it.

JD, you'll have to let me borrow your 1W Marshall.
If you're in Wales you're more than welcome.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

It’s cool what you can get on Reverb if you watch for items you want like a hawk. Just nabbed an extender for the control surface for MUCH cheaper than a new one for practically new condition.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I don't think Reverb is quite as good in the UK - there appears to be way less stuff, maybe its just not really got into the UK market yet.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:06 pm I don't think Reverb is quite as good in the UK - there appears to be way less stuff, maybe its just not really got into the UK market yet.
This.

I keep a watch for a few things here in Canada too and if/when they come up i don't see that much of a bargain. I feel like maybe people are padding the reverb prices to get what they want AFTER reverb takes their cut. The whole app is is a blessing and curse in that it widens the market pool of stuff you can see / find but it really has put a shit kicking on prices.

The upside is i do have a buddy here who flips odd ball gear he comes across and it kind of helps him a little bit because that's the first place people go to price check an item he sells so he's kind of getting the padded reverb prices in cash outside of reverb. Like on Facebook marketplace or other online classifieds... If that makes sense?

I just got given a new a new guitar body as payment for something i did. not sure what i'll ever do with it. It is solid piece of pine heartwood Lp JR shape routed for a telecaster pick up. Real shitty finishing job on and i have no idea what kind of state the neck slot is in but if i find a way to check that out and see how it goes maybe i'll get creative with it.
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:49 pm Finally got around to getting a longer cable for the computer and got a computer like keyboard keyboard for computer synths stuff. Will test it out over the weekend!

IMG_1825.jpeg
That is a tidy little area man! Look how far you've come from sitting cross-legged on the floor to now.

I love watching our little guy grow up! :lollers2: :lollers2:
:happytrees: