New Gear Day

General recording topics.
JD01

Re: New Gear Day

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:23 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:06 pm I don't think Reverb is quite as good in the UK - there appears to be way less stuff, maybe its just not really got into the UK market yet.
This.

I keep a watch for a few things here in Canada too and if/when they come up i don't see that much of a bargain. I feel like maybe people are padding the reverb prices to get what they want AFTER reverb takes their cut. The whole app is is a blessing and curse in that it widens the market pool of stuff you can see / find but it really has put a shit kicking on prices.

The upside is i do have a buddy here who flips odd ball gear he comes across and it kind of helps him a little bit because that's the first place people go to price check an item he sells so he's kind of getting the padded reverb prices in cash outside of reverb. Like on Facebook marketplace or other online classifieds... If that makes sense?

I just got given a new a new guitar body as payment for something i did. not sure what i'll ever do with it. It is solid piece of pine heartwood Lp JR shape routed for a telecaster pick up. Real shitty finishing job on and i have no idea what kind of state the neck slot is in but if i find a way to check that out and see how it goes maybe i'll get creative with it.
At the moment, I'm just having a browse of eBay every few days for telecaster necks. I got my Carbon Copy pedal this week from eBay for about 85 quid.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:29 pm

This.

I keep a watch for a few things here in Canada too and if/when they come up i don't see that much of a bargain. I feel like maybe people are padding the reverb prices to get what they want AFTER reverb takes their cut. The whole app is is a blessing and curse in that it widens the market pool of stuff you can see / find but it really has put a shit kicking on prices.

The upside is i do have a buddy here who flips odd ball gear he comes across and it kind of helps him a little bit because that's the first place people go to price check an item he sells so he's kind of getting the padded reverb prices in cash outside of reverb. Like on Facebook marketplace or other online classifieds... If that makes sense?

I just got given a new a new guitar body as payment for something i did. not sure what i'll ever do with it. It is solid piece of pine heartwood Lp JR shape routed for a telecaster pick up. Real shitty finishing job on and i have no idea what kind of state the neck slot is in but if i find a way to check that out and see how it goes maybe i'll get creative with it.
At the moment, I'm just having a browse of eBay every few days for telecaster necks. I got my Carbon Copy pedal this week from eBay for about 85 quid.
I never think to go to ebay but i remember it used to be a good place to go. I got a replacement bridge for that Ibanez of mine for pretty cheap.
:happytrees:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:49 pm Finally got around to getting a longer cable for the computer and got a computer like keyboard keyboard for computer synths stuff. Will test it out over the weekend!

IMG_1825.jpeg
That is a tidy little area man! Look how far you've come from sitting cross-legged on the floor to now.

I love watching our little guy grow up! :lollers2: :lollers2:
To be honest, I still really liked that setup. My friend took a photo of me working with it on the floor with a disposable camera. It’s part of his album cover or something. Looks neat lol

If I do get a computer chair, I need to find one that doesn’t make squeaky noises after a year.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Got an extended for my control surface. I think I may be good now. BUT, with all the Mellotron sounds I may be playing with, I might get a second extender in the future. I’ll need to write plenty of songs to determine if it’s necessary. I hate moving banks.
IMG_1852.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:34 pm Got an extended for my control surface. I think I may be good now. BUT, with all the Mellotron sounds I may be playing with, I might get a second extender in the future. I’ll need to write plenty of songs to determine if it’s necessary. I hate moving banks.
What is the control surface you use?
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

musicturtle wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:53 am
CrowsofFritz wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:34 pm Got an extended for my control surface. I think I may be good now. BUT, with all the Mellotron sounds I may be playing with, I might get a second extender in the future. I’ll need to write plenty of songs to determine if it’s necessary. I hate moving banks.
What is the control surface you use?
It’s a Mackie MCU Pro. I wouldn’t get it new if you want one. You can find them for less than half their price if you wait on Reverb. I love it. It’s good for my shaky hands. Using a mouse for fine movements is a pain.
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

IMG_1852.jpeg
Nice. I'd recommend getting another extender. Having 24 faders is a dream to work with and beats the hell out of mouse work. I love my old Tascam US2400.
Tasc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done! :coolstorybro:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

IMG_1852.jpeg
I agree although I have a Fader Port 8 and can't figure out how to use it.

But if it worked it'd be awesome. All those knobs and faders that'd do something ..... wouldn't that be cool?

:facepalm:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:09 pm

IMG_1852.jpeg
I agree although I have a Fader Port 8 and can't figure out how to use it.

But if it worked it'd be awesome. All those knobs and faders that'd do something ..... wouldn't that be cool?

:facepalm:
I mostly use the faders, arm/mute/solo buttons, and the play/record buttons. Sometimes the pan knob. It doesn’t work as well for Pro Tools as it does for literally every other DAW. So silly. But I still love it.
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:38 pm I mostly use the faders, arm/mute/solo buttons, and the play/record buttons. Sometimes the pan knob. It doesn’t work as well for Pro Tools as it does for literally every other DAW. So silly. But I still love it.
That's a shame. I have mine set up with the pan knobs set up as channel strips for EQ and Comp. As it is only midi signals, you can set them in Reaper with the LEARN function. Does ProTools not have the LEARN function? I've never used it so have no idea.
Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done! :coolstorybro:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Mr Clean wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:49 pm
CrowsofFritz wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:38 pm I mostly use the faders, arm/mute/solo buttons, and the play/record buttons. Sometimes the pan knob. It doesn’t work as well for Pro Tools as it does for literally every other DAW. So silly. But I still love it.
That's a shame. I have mine set up with the pan knobs set up as channel strips for EQ and Comp. As it is only midi signals, you can set them in Reaper with the LEARN function. Does ProTools not have the LEARN function? I've never used it so have no idea.
then maybe that's what I need to do for my fader port?
It literally does nothing and I'd love to at least be able to use the transport keys
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

I’ll have to see but I believe Pro Tools only uses HUI (freaking why???) instead of Mackie Control Universal. I’ll play around with it, but it being stuck in medieval times with HUI is not a good sign of it doing what I want.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:37 am

then maybe that's what I need to do for my fader port?
It literally does nothing and I'd love to at least be able to use the transport keys
It looks like the Presonus is by default able to work with Reaper so that’s good. I think there’s some extra things you need to configure.

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... -in-Reaper