Galway Girl - Possible Remix?

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Galway Girl - Possible Remix?

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Here is a fun little exercise.

What would you change?

This song has been finished, done and dusted for a while now. It was a fun week of hanging out with my bro and his best buddy. I spent a while mixing. I think i mixed the shit out of it and probably to it's own detriment. I'm listening today with what i would call a newer more senstive ear and i hear lots i want to change. But i want to hear what you all would change?

If i were to go back and remix or whatever, what would you all make for recommended changes, keeping in mind that the tracking instrumentation would be done. nothing would get re tracked. But in a re mix sense what do your ears want changed? :twocents: :chillin

there are more detailed points listed here : https://soundcloud.com/shanpeyton/galwa ... ed-by-mary
:happytrees:
miroslav

Re: Galway Girl - Possible Remix?

Post by miroslav »

There's something about the snare sound that just isn't working for me...either the tone is too round and/or the volume is too loud.
Also I think I would maybe spread out the instruments just a bit more to open it up.

Cool song though. :)
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I would actually put some of the instruments (the traditional ones) closer to center. The pick noise really sticks out hard-panned.

Distorted rhythms tho, they can go way out there.

Vox get a little buried when the guits come in. Maybe turn them up there or turn them down in the other parts?

That's all pretty nitpicky tho. I don't know that it really *needs* anything.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

The way that the instruments are panned sounds a little off to me. The drums sound small and dull and are squashed into the center of the mix.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

The whole mix changes when things start chuggin. Kinda clouds up, mainly on the sides. The vibe all all the parts is great, no re-recording needed imho, just a few tweaks on the panning. eq.
The intro part could use something to do with reverb as things sound a little separate - good basic sound though - just the "room" could use something.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I agree with Miro about the snare sound. I'm shite at snare sounds though.

Great tune though.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Hi, Jack. :D This is a good energetic song!

My main feeling on a first listen is that you need to do a little eq carving. So many of the instruments are competing for that 2-4 kHz space, that the mix is congested in that area. I think that the frequency range you've used to sharpen up each instrument to make it cut through is the same on the guitar, the mandolin, the voice, the drums... everything, including the bass guitar! I'd start with the bass. It sounds like you're looking for a bass that has some attack and texture. I would low pass that at 1-1.5 kHz and slightly boost it at 1k. That should be enough to give the bass texture without competing. Go to each instrument that is fighting in the upper mids and give each one a slight lift at a different frequency in the upper mids and slightly pull out the nearby frequencies. See how that sounds. :) The vocal is too quiet, by the way, which makes the mix sound even more congested - no instrument is given centre stage, but out of all of them, the vocal should be it. :biggrin: I would hi-shelf the vocal up at 5kHz+. :coolstorybro:
Haggard Musician :mad:
rayc

Post by rayc »

I like it - the vocals need a LITTLE lift is all. Well done Shannon.
Cheers
rayc
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Great tune dude!!! Something I've always had trouble with is mixing acoustic & electric instruments together, for me, it's hard to find the right balance, but you seem to have done a great job here...

I agree with the snare comments, maybe just a touch of eq would bring it out a little more??? The vocals need a little automation here/there to bring 'em up front...Just a couple suggestions, but other than that I don't hear anything that I'd change dude...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs: