Wah wahs

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Wah wahs

Post by JD01 »

Think ill buy myself a nice new wah wah in the new year.
I have a CBG95 but its a bit fucked. I've rewired it badly and its sounded shit ever since.

Ideally I want a wah wah with a fairly wide sweep but a wide Q. I don't want it to too be open and closed so quick its like an on an off switch, but I also don't want it to be so open its almost silent and when its closed its practically just hiss.

Any recommendations?
Greg_L

Re: Wah wahs

Post by Greg_L »

535Q. Super tunable and adjustable.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I want one that sounds very vocal ...... Specifically like Hendrix's wah in 'Still Rainin' Still Dreaming' .... one that'll sound like that gets bought immediately by moi.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

I’m torn between a Crybaby and the Ibanez that Frusciante uses.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
JD01

Post by JD01 »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:44 pm I’m torn between a Crybaby and the Ibanez that Frusciante uses.
I have a crybaby. I've had it since 1997 (my sis got it for me for my 17th birthday). But the switch went a few years ago. When I replaced it, I couldn't get the same switch with the same wiring so I modded it. It sounds ok, but it's unreliable (due to my handiwork) and sounds a bit scratchy.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:55 pm 535Q. Super tunable and adjustable.
:like:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

JD01 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:17 am
CrowsofFritz wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:44 pm I’m torn between a Crybaby and the Ibanez that Frusciante uses.
I have a crybaby. I've had it since 1997 (my sis got it for me for my 17th birthday). But the switch went a few years ago. When I replaced it, I couldn't get the same switch with the same wiring so I modded it. It sounds ok, but it's unreliable (due to my handiwork) and sounds a bit scratchy.
My switch went within a month, I was pissed. At least the switch went out when it was on rather than off.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I've had a few Dunlop original Crybaby wahs over the years. My first 2 crapped out, but my latest one has been a survivor. They sound OK, I can't really recommend it over any of the other offerings out there. You can at least fiddle with the pot and adjust the range that it moves through.

I'd love to have a Fulltone Clyde someday.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I quite fancy that one Greg recommended. Over the next few days when I get some downtime I'm gonna have a play with mine to see if I can get used to using a wah again and then get that one.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Tadpui wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:08 am I've had a few Dunlop original Crybaby wahs over the years. My first 2 crapped out, but my latest one has been a survivor. They sound OK, I can't really recommend it over any of the other offerings out there. You can at least fiddle with the pot and adjust the range that it moves through.

I'd love to have a Fulltone Clyde someday.
I have 2 crybabies b ut they're the old tone suckers when they're off and i don't feel like modding them ...... anyone wnat 'em?

The Fulltone looks interesting ....... I've also looked at Budwahs ..... but that 535Q greg suggested is cheaper and sounds like it may do what i want ...... which is prolly sit there unused.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

I have the 535Q and an older CBG95 (side note, I sold my newer CBG95 to Minerman a couple of years ago) as well as a late 80s Morley. I highly recommend the 535Q because you can adjust what the pedal is doing while the others are more difficult to tailor the sound. A few of my friends have the Clyde and they usually sound pretty good but I've never owned one. In my experience, the Vox wahs are very bright, the Morley's are more mid to low heavy and the 535Q is more my style as it's adjustable. But of course your style/needs will be your own so you should try as many as you can.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I have a Crybaby in a box somewhere. I think I've used it on once, for a wacka wacka wacka 70s rhythm sound on a Jongleurs tune, and maybe for a cocked lead tone somewhere else, but it never impressed me that much.

Glad there are better options these days.