Super simple drum setup

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Tadpui

Super simple drum setup

Post by Tadpui »

This came up on my YT feed tonight. I actually watched the whole 20 minutes, mainly out of morbid curiosity. It seems that this is making drums harder than they need to be.

3 snares, 3 hi-hats, "rata" toms (aren't they called roto toms? Or is that a whole different thing?). A foot pedal situation that I can't even begin to understand. And a mix at the end that has so much stereo cymbal content that I can't imagine that anybody but a drummer mixed it. The dude can play though, no doubt about that!

Also, @WhiskeyJack I tried to insert a video using the normal method of clicking the "embed any video" button on the UI, but it didn't work. It just inserted "bbvideo" tags around it but they didn't translate to anything in the post. I manually changed them to "youtube" tags and at least it doesn't show the tags, but it still didn't display the video thumbnail.
rayc

Re: Super simple drum setup

Post by rayc »

What an UTTER DROOB!
I bet he takes photos of his meals and matches them with photos of the resulting turds too.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Roto and rata are different toms. He has rata toms.

Roto are the no-shell type that you twist to change tone.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Also, being on the lower end of drum skill myself, I've noticed that as a drummer's skill goes up, so does the set up weirdness. Really good top 1% type drummers often have super weird quirky setups and needs.

I don't know who this Thomas Lang guy is, but he is clearly an amazing drummer and he must be if he has DW reps just popping in to say hi. DW is like the Ferarri of drums. I'm not surprised that a drummer at his level would be a supertard about his setup.

That 14" "snom" is pretty bad ass though. I've always wondered what snare wires on a big tom would sound like.
Last edited by Greg_L on Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Those snoms are cool. If I were a drummer, I would probably do that to my kit.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:45 am Also, being on the lower end of drum skill myself, I've noticed that as a drummer's skill goes up, so does the set up weirdness. Really good top 1% type drummers often have super weird quirky setups and needs.

I don't know who this Thomas Lang guy is, but he is clearly an amazing drummer and he must be if he has DW reps just popping in to say hi. DW is like the Ferarri of drums. I'm not surprised that a drummer at his level would be a supertard about his setup.

That 14" "snom" is pretty bad ass though. I've always wondered what snare wires on a big tom would sound like.
Lower end relative to what?

It’s like chess. HUGE range of skill levels. Like, for the players that just know the rules of the game (around 700-800 ELO), I (Around 1400 ELO) am so much stronger than them that they can’t even begin to comprehend what I am doing. But a grandmaster at chess (2200 ELO) is so insanely good that I can’t even begin to fathom what they are doing on the same or an even greater scale than the newbie and me. Magnus Carlsen (greatest chess player in the world at 2900 ELO) is so good that low level grandmasters have a very hard time even fathoming what he’s doing. So, I’m extremely low compared to these groups of people. In fact, if we take the beginning of the scale at 700 and the end of the scale at 2900, 1400 is on the lower end. but that doesn’t take away from the fact that I am better at chess than the large majority of people because most players are tabletop players.

I guess I’m rambling so much because I’ve heard you on the drums and I want to know relatively the scale you’re using to call yourself low skill.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:06 pm Lower end relative to what?

It’s like chess. HUGE range of skill levels. Like, for the players that just know the rules of the game (around 700-800 ELO), I (Around 1400 ELO) am so much stronger than them that they can’t even begin to comprehend what I am doing. But a grandmaster at chess (2200 ELO) is so insanely good that I can’t even begin to fathom what they are doing on the same or an even greater scale than the newbie and me. Magnus Carlsen (greatest chess player in the world at 2900 ELO) is so good that low level grandmasters have a very hard time even fathoming what he’s doing. So, I’m extremely low compared to these groups of people. In fact, if we take the beginning of the scale at 700 and the end of the scale at 2900, 1400 is on the lower end. but that doesn’t take away from the fact that I am better at chess than the large majority of people because most players are tabletop players.

I guess I’m rambling so much because I’ve heard you on the drums and I want to know relatively the scale you’re using to call yourself low skill.
I am definitely "low end" on the drum scale of drum greatness. Yes, I'm way better than people that can't play drums at all. No problem there. But compared to actual drummers, drummers that take drumming seriously, drummers that study sticking patterns and rudiments, I'm a total hack. A real serious drummer would never hear me play and think "this guy is good". With the right training a beginner could blow past me within a year. None of this bothers me though. I'm fine with what I do and how I do it. I'm as good as I need to be.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Crows... I think in a really weird rambling way you've managed to get a fairly good analogy together for instrumental proficiency.

I've never had more than kick, snare, hi hat, two toms, floor tom, two crashes and a ride.
But then I've never played drums consistently enough to build up enough skill to develop any sort of preferences.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:39 pm

I've never had more than kick, snare, hi hat, two toms, floor tom, two crashes and a ride.
Lol that's a full drum set. That's more than a lot of people use.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

What's your kit like?
The kit didn't actually come with crashes. Just a basic Pearl Export with hats and a ride but there was a 2nd crash/stand half price on bottom of the range Zildjin (Edge?) at some point in the dim and distant past.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:31 am This came up on my YT feed tonight. I actually watched the whole 20 minutes, mainly out of morbid curiosity. It seems that this is making drums harder than they need to be.

3 snares, 3 hi-hats, "rata" toms (aren't they called roto toms? Or is that a whole different thing?). A foot pedal situation that I can't even begin to understand. And a mix at the end that has so much stereo cymbal content that I can't imagine that anybody but a drummer mixed it. The dude can play though, no doubt about that!

Also, @WhiskeyJack I tried to insert a video using the normal method of clicking the "embed any video" button on the UI, but it didn't work. It just inserted "bbvideo" tags around it but they didn't translate to anything in the post. I manually changed them to "youtube" tags and at least it doesn't show the tags, but it still didn't display the video thumbnail.
Strange. I'll add it to my list.

I also just opened this thread randomly and i see you @ me but i recv'd no notification. has anyone else come across this? I'll look into it as soon as i can. my free time though up until after Christmas is like 0.

I still have one more fairly large fix to do over the holidays as we are currently running on a band-aid fix so hopefully that fixes a bunch more stuff.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:02 pm What's your kit like?
The kit didn't actually come with crashes. Just a basic Pearl Export with hats and a ride but there was a 2nd crash/stand half price on bottom of the range Zildjin (Edge?) at some point in the dim and distant past.
I use a 4 piece live. Kick, snare, 13" rack tom, 18" floor tom. Hats, Ride, two crashes.

My recording setup is bigger. 6 piece. Kick, snare, two rack toms, two floor toms. Hats, Ride, three crashes, one crash/ride.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Isn't there some some well-respected drummer who's quoted as saying something like "I'll add a 3rd tom to my setup when I've mastered the 2nd"?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:36 pm Isn't there some some well-respected drummer who's quoted as saying something like "I'll add a 3rd tom to my setup when I've mastered the 2nd"?
Lol I don't know but that's pretty good.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:36 pm Isn't there some some well-respected drummer who's quoted as saying something like "I'll add a 3rd tom to my setup when I've mastered the 2nd"?
Brad Wilk from Rage Against The Machine uses a small kit and he sounds great. Danny Carey from Tool looks like he's sitting in a drum shop and he also sounds great.

I think its down to the player.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:09 pm
Brad Wilk from Rage Against The Machine uses a small kit and he sounds great. Danny Carey from Tool looks like he's sitting in a drum shop and he also sounds great.

Google Terry Bozzio and look at his kit.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:44 pm

I've got a Zappa Plays Zappa DVD where Dweezil and band play dad's tunes - and it was at a gig where they also wheeled out Steve Vai - and that guy's guitar face is just embarrassing to watch - and Terry Bozzio, complete with his mega drum kit. Oh my fucking god. Ridiculous. :suspicious:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:44 pm

There is no need of that. to me that is like seeing the guy up here driving in the jacked up lifted diesel trucks with spikey lug nuts. Slight over kill. the same cam likely be accomplished with even just half of whats there.

Too each their own obviously! be happy and do as you will despite what i may think.
:happytrees:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

If I had to remove all of the kit pieces that I haven't mastered yet, I'd just be left with the drum stool.

Actually, come to think of it...it's a cheap stool and makes my ass hurt after a little while so I guess I haven't even mastered the sitting part!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:53 pm If I had to remove all of the kit pieces that I haven't mastered yet, I'd just be left with the drum stool.

Actually, come to think of it...it's a cheap stool and makes my ass hurt after a little while so I guess I haven't even mastered the sitting part!
Ahem, it's called a "throne". :drums:

But for real, a good throne makes a huge difference.

I used to just sit on whatever as long as it was close to the right height. Even a folding chair. Then one day I used someone's actually good actual drum throne and holy crap, what a difference.
Rebel Yell