Dammit headphones

General recording topics.
JD01

Re: Dammit headphones

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:17 pm I have a pair of ATH AD700's which are awesome and sound about as good as my Sennheiser 650's.
They're HUGE and open air so they would only be good for mixing or music listening at home.

They've been replaced by the ATH AD700X ...... I want some.

@JD01
However those AKG's you suggested look very nice too ....
I've got the AKG701 that I use for mixing and detailed listening.
I'm probably not alone in that I can't mix with my monitors up loud that often so I tend to get things close on headphones.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

So the new Shure SRH440s are here, and they sound wonderfully familiar and predictable.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:19 pm So the new Shure SRH440s are here, and they sound wonderfully familiar and predictable.
Great to hear, man. Familiar is a good place to be for headphones.

I'm surprised that the HD280 Pro sounded bad. I guess I got mine 10-15 years ago, so maybe they've changed something in the specs since then. But I've always thought that they sounded very good, with really punchy mids and crisp highs. The online reviews of those things are all over the place, so I'd bet that there has either been a manufacturing change, or they're just really inconsistent.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:04 pm

Great to hear, man. Familiar is a good place to be for headphones.

I'm surprised that the HD280 Pro sounded bad. I guess I got mine 10-15 years ago, so maybe they've changed something in the specs since then. But I've always thought that they sounded very good, with really punchy mids and crisp highs. The online reviews of those things are all over the place, so I'd bet that there has either been a manufacturing change, or they're just really inconsistent.
I'm sure that if I was going into them without any preconceived notions of what I wanted and expected to hear they would have been fine. They didn't sound terrible but things didn't sound like I know they're supposed to sound through those cans. I listened to a bunch of stuff that I'm very familiar with and I was just like "nope these won't do". Maybe there is some manufacturing inconsistency now. Maybe some specs have changed? I don't know what good or bad HD280s sound like. All I know is I didn't want them. As soon as I plugged the Shure SRH440s in I was like "yup that's it". Some people might hate them, I don't know. I just know they sound familiar and that's all I want. I better get another set just in case they quit making them or something.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

On a related note, I've listened to my new HD650s a bit so far, and I like them a lot. They're comfortable, have a nice balanced low end, and are just as detailed as my other Sennheiser cans. I'm looking forward to logging more hours on them to get to know them better. The open-backed design is the biggest adjustment...it's weird to still be able to hear things happening in the room when I've got my ears covered by headphones.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah familiarity is probably the most important thing
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:19 pm So the new Shure SRH440s are here, and they sound wonderfully familiar and predictable.
For studio work familiarity is key plus those Shure cans get very good reviews.
Tadpui wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:54 am The open-backed design is the biggest adjustment...it's weird to still be able to hear things happening in the room when I've got my ears covered by headphones.
It makes them more like listening to speakers with less of that "in your head' thing and less of the emphasized boom in the bass..

I also use a 'Headroom' headphone amp ..... with their crossfeed circuit engaged they sound VERY close to the same as my monitors.
It's why i always pooh-pooh the idea that you can't mix on phones.
You can if you have the right phones and headphone amp. Also if you know your phones well just like knowing your monitors.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:53 am I also use a 'Headroom' headphone amp ..... with their crossfeed circuit engaged they sound VERY close to the same as my monitors.
It's why i always pooh-pooh the idea that you can't mix on phones.
You can if you have the right phones and headphone amp. Also if you know your phones well just like knowing your monitors.
I think its much harder to judge "distance" on headphones. I normally end up fucking about with reverb on vocals quite a lot after I switch to monitors.
In fact, my mrs is going surfing, I think the surf is a bit shit, I'll crank the monitors up for an hour - I've got two mixes that need tweaking.
Like you said though, if you know your system well, you can probably mix on anything within reason. I'm sure someone with better ears and more talent than me could mix on my cans no problem if they took the time to learn them.
The other thing that I struggle with is bottom end - I'm not sure that's down to headphones though - I think I just have trouble discerning the kick/bass relationship.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:35 pm
Greg_L wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:44 pm

I think I'm just gonna get another set of the ones I broke. I know they sound okay and isolated well enough. I liked them.
always go with something you know you'll be happy with.
Yes. 100% this.

this is the very reason why I have owned three Jeep patriots in the last bunch of years. Everyone gives me the gears about it about, but i just don't see the logic of spending that kind of money on a gamble. I know the vehicle, i know the issues, i know the warranty, i know how it handles etc etc. Why waste time and energy going out and test driving something i don't really need to go and do.

Having said that this will likely be our last one. After my wife has been paying attention to her friends vehicles she isn't impressed with the stock "bells and whistles" that comes in our model and that other cheaper vehicles seem to have much more modern looking bells and whistles.
:happytrees: