Dammit headphones

General recording topics.
Greg_L

Dammit headphones

Post by Greg_L »

Now I need new headphones. I just dropped my Shure SRH440s and they broke....for like the tenth time. The lining on the cups and headband has been deteriorating for years and I've already superglued and JB Welded these things back together a bunch of times. Credit to Shure for making a headset that still sounds great after repeated bashings. But now it's just been too much and I need to replace them.

I think I'm just gonna go with basic HD280s. I don't mix on headphones and don't really care that much about how "perfect" they sound. I just need some with decent isolation and decent sound.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Re: Dammit headphones

Post by Lt. Bob »

I'm a Sennheiser fan ...... I have a couple of pairs of HD650's .... no isolation but i don't need any and they sound superb.
The 280's are supposed to be very good and they've become pretty common for studio use
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah - they sound ideal. I use my cheapo Focusrite ones for tracking, they're like ear defenders.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I picked up a pair of Direct Sound Ex-25's for isolating while tracking in the same room as my my big boy amps and they seem to do a decent job. I have no other cans to compare them too though. When I demoed a few in the store they were the ones that provided the most isolation from outside noise and fell in my budget of less that 200CAD. I don't recall what the other models were.

I'd never do a reference mix off them as they sound really gross.
:happytrees:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I can vouch for the HD280 Pro. They won't amaze much of anybody with their sound, but they do have a very nice dynamic midrange, and pretty good isolation for tracking. I also have the Direct Sound EX-25 and they don't have nearly the fidelity or punch of the HD280, but they do have better isolation and a nice long cord that isn't one of the coily ones that always gets tangled.

@Lt. Bob I've got a pair of HD-650 coming as a christmas gift. That's probably the thing I'm most excited about, even though I bought it myself and had my wife wrap it and put it under the tree :D
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

I use the Sennheiser 280s in the studio and when I mix live. There's enough isolation or room depending on your needs. But, admittedly, I haven't used a whole bunch of different cans. Having said that, I don't think you'll have made a mistake it you buy them.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I use HD 515s upstairs...open backed so I can hear what the wife is doing which is great given her health but terrible when she talks on the phone, (she's a bit deaf, holds the phone at her deafer ear and talks REALLY loudly). They sound great but are held together with gaffer tape now as they fractured, after several years of service, at the link point.
I still have a couple of pairs of MOREMEs for tracking...still quite good for that task.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:12 pm @Lt. Bob I've got a pair of HD-650 coming as a christmas gift. That's probably the thing I'm most excited about, even though I bought it myself and had my wife wrap it and put it under the tree :D
@ Tadpui you're gonna like 'em ...... I mostly use them for listening to my records and they are really detailed and full sounding.
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:24 am you're gonna like 'em ...... I mostly use them for listening to my records and they are really detailed and full sounding.
I think you're right, I'm looking forward to hearing them! My aim is to reference the low end on them because the low end in my studio room is out of control and I can't hear anything below about 150 Hz accurately in here. Dang concrete floor, plus my insistence upon using a subwoofer that has no other natural spot to live other than under my dense MDF desk, between 2 dense MDF sidecars. It all just forms a way-too-dense "cabinet" that resonates at about 70 Hz and 120 Hz, and skews the low end so badly that I can't tell heads from tails when I'm trying to mix bass guitar and kick drum.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

MoreMes are my go to tracking can

Edit: I also have something like 4 sets of Tascam TH 200Xes. They're a great $30 headphone.

Shame their retail price was raised to $100 some time ago.
Last edited by vomitHatSteve on Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

I really like my pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M40x. The cans flip around really nicely if you like to do the one ear thing.

$100 is what I think they go for.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:13 am I think I'm just gonna go with basic HD280s.
Got some of these. Not too exciting. I know I said I don't care about "perfect sound", but these things sounded like muffled poop. Back to amazon you go!
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:01 am
Greg_L wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:13 am I think I'm just gonna go with basic HD280s.
Got some of these. Not too exciting. I know I said I don't care about "perfect sound", but these things sounded like muffled poop. Back to amazon you go!
surprising actually ..... maybe you got some bad ones?

I've never heard them described as muffled .... and Sennheiser is a high end company.

I haven't actually tried a pair of those so i don't personally know ...... I don't like closed back phones so when I need some ( when I'm mowing or weed whacking ) I use some Tascam TH-02 s that I bought several of on a 'Stupid Deal' price.
They suck for any serious listening but for doing outside work they're aight.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:18 pm surprising actually ..... maybe you got some bad ones?

I've never heard them described as muffled .... and Sennheiser is a high end company.

They're comfortable, seem like good quality, they just sound way worse than I expected. They made stuff that I know sounds good sound murky and muddy.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:20 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:18 pm surprising actually ..... maybe you got some bad ones?

They're comfortable, seem like good quality, they just sound way worse than I expected. They made stuff that I know sounds good sound murky and muddy.
AKG do a closed back version of the K702s that I have. They'd probably suit you.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:32 pm
AKG do a closed back version of the K702s that I have. They'd probably suit you.
I think I'm just gonna get another set of the ones I broke. I know they sound okay and isolated well enough. I liked them.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:44 pm
I think I'm just gonna get another set of the ones I broke. I know they sound okay and isolated well enough. I liked them.
always go with something you know you'll be happy with.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:44 pm
Yeah. If you know what works go for it. If you don't walk around listening to music with them on.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just came across these which I quite fancy.
https://www.onbuy.com/gb/akg-k550-mk3-b ... lsrc=aw.ds
The ones I want to get next though are AKG Y50. They keep getting reviewed as thr best headphones for under 100 quid... which will be fine for me when I wear them shopping.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I have a pair of ATH AD700's which are awesome and sound about as good as my Sennheiser 650's.
They're HUGE and open air so they would only be good for mixing or music listening at home.

They've been replaced by the ATH AD700X ...... I want some.

@JD01
However those AKG's you suggested look very nice too ....